Factory Air/Water intercooled 1KZTE!?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this 1KZTE on Ebay appears to be equipped with a OEM Toyota air/water intercooler system!! Cool! Never heard about this on a Toyota Diesel before. I wonder what this came out of? A van?

JDM Toyota 4 Runner Highlux Surf 1KZ-TE Turbo Diesel Engine 4WD Auto Trans

s-l1600.jpg
s-l16002.jpg
s-l1604.jpg
s-l16006.jpg

Did some hunting, and this motor is likely from a 99-02 Hiace KCH46W or KCH16W.

I like little surprises from Toyota like this. Right up there with the 2LTHE's that had ceramic pre-cups or the factory 1HZ-T.

Pic of engine in a van:

Дизель 1 KZ-TI.jpg

Last edited:
very interesting and makes so much sense .. much more it this specific engine it's rated at much better power curve ..?

very interesting and makes so much sense .. much more it this specific engine it's rated at much better power curve ..?

I wish I could find that information. Would be nice to compare it to the air/air intercooled 1kzte.

I found on some Russian website that it is 103kw/140hp@3600rpm 343nm/253ft/lb@2000rpm. Basically same as the air/air intercooler version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this 1KZTE on Ebay appears to be equipped with a OEM Toyota air/water intercooler system!! Cool! Never heard about this on a Toyota Diesel before. I wonder what this came out of? A van?

JDM Toyota 4 Runner Highlux Surf 1KZ-TE Turbo Diesel Engine 4WD Auto Trans

View attachment 1306837 View attachment 1306838 View attachment 1306840 View attachment 1306841
Got that kind of 1kzte when I swap from 2lte last 2010. :D sorry for the very late reply. its been a while.

Yup, definitely it's own cooling system.

I had that engine in a Toyota Granvia.. thing was great for a smaller turbo diesel. I used my van to hall my dirt bike and gear around never had one issue probably put 100km on it before getting rid of it. I should have taken the motor back with me haha..

Had great fuel economy too. This was a 1996 van that was passed around before I got it so it was neglected alot and had like 300+km on it. But I did regular oil changes and never had one issue.. the exhaust was shot but it was also cool hearing the turbo all the time haha..

Most of the Granvias are 4wd too. Shame they're only 4sp auto.

@drenmaster do you know how the 4wd system works in those? Is it selectable electric, viscous or what?

Most of the Granvias are 4wd too. Shame they're only 4sp auto.

@drenmaster do you know how the 4wd system works in those? Is it selectable electric, viscous or what?

It was just a full time awd system. Not sure how the slipping worked but it had some torque steer for sure on the street when accelerating. It made awd snow donuts so much fun !

Just trying to revive an old thread here because I just bought a 2003 Hiace super custom with this engine and I can’t find much info about it.

The intercooler is empty. Now excuse my zero knowledge here but what do I put in there? Regular Toyota coolant?

Would be grateful for any help!

IMG_0104.jpeg

you should figure out why its empty first......

yup had a grandvia in thailand had the non intercooled version always dreamed about the watercooled one 1kzte its a good motor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom