Ebay international parts & customs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ordered parts from ebay from an international seller, in Japan for instance? Looking for window molding, interior & exterior for my 96 FZJ80. It doesn't last long in the AZ heat.
Anyhow, all of the vendors say something like

International shipment of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.

Or

The buyer is responsible for all customs and clearance fees.

Anyone have any idea how difficult/expensive that process is? Or where I should start searching for answers? Couldn't find anything searching the forums and the vendors who replied to my questions said it's my responsibility to know the costs & the process. I don't want to find out after it's shipped that customs & other fees are 2 or 3x the part cost.

Thanks in advance

I've bought a lot of stuff from overseas and never had an issue.
Likewise...no issues from Japan, Australia, Canada, or UAE...in fact, sometimes things show up faster than if they are on the west coast shipping to east coast via ground!

That said, there could be duties from some countries, so I'm sure that there is a way to look it up. I did buy a hood for a smaller car (Austin) that I had 20 years ago and had to pick up at port and think there were some fees associated with that from Australia. It was custom packaged in a large crate, so not easy to overlook!

Just bought a ds seat cushion from Japan. It got to me quicker than a part I order from Florida.

Also try
Partsouq.com
Megazip
Japan4x4.com
Amayama.com

I've had to pay duties to bring stuff into Australia, but it was only with a large order that exceeded the threshold on duties. For Australia, that's $1000.
I've since learnt to be less ambitious with how many projects to order parts for in one hit :lol:

I've bought a lot of stuff from overseas and never had an issue.
Same here. I've ordered a lot of parts from Japanese sellers on eBay. I think it is a CYA statement, in case customs randomly tacks on a fee. One of the things I ordered was the door trim...

Maybe lining up with what @mudgudgeon and @WarDamnEagle said, it may be because all my orders were relatively low dollar amounts.

I've also ordered parts from Australia, Saudi Arabia, Poland, and Russia and not paid any customs fees.

Last edited:
I have had certain orders from Partsouq that exceed a certain amount of money (probably $800 as stated above) later be charged customs fees by FedEx.

I think all the major shopping companies are obliged to collect duties on items exceeding the thresholds?

The one time I was charged duties, I was also charged GST ( Fedetal goods & services tax in Aus).
I got a call from the shipping company to sort out payment of duties. Was told the call was triggered because paperwork showed value of the goods exceeded $1000, the Aussie threshold on import duties, and GST.

I have ordered eBay parts from Japan and uae with no problems. As long as they say they ship to the US than I will go for it.

Ebay is good at protecting buyers so I don't worry too much.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Will start some "restrained/less ambitious" ordering as @mudgudgeon mentioned.
Will new internal & external window molding cut down on noise? Mine is about all gone. Or do I need to be more aggressive with Kilmat or Noico?
Figure I may as well try something like that while I'm replacing the regulator & window motors....

Funny timing, I just got a letter in the mail from Fedex. I have to pay $66 in customs fees on a Partsouq order that was ~$3K. I've only had to do that one other time. And out of probably 20 orders from Australia, UAE and Japan in the last year I only had my PDI Intercooler get hung up in customs for 2 weeks, but I think that was just a fluke. Partsouq often ships parts faster - and cheaper, even after shipping - than US Toyota dealers do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom