Early hood differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cppilot

1965 FJ45 LPB original second owner
SILVER Star
Threads
image.jpeg
I have a original 1965 FJ40 FST ( has slanted heater side vent if that matters). The hood has no windshield hooks, bumpers or original holes for them. I thought I would check here with the 25 crew. I have not been able to ascertain weather or not mine is stock. I have every reason to believe it is.

I have noticed a lot of the 65's and some early 25's the same way, some with and some without. Does anyone have any solid information regarding these hoods.

Thank you for the help. Here's a photo of my hood.

Mark

Yes Archie, the LV's did have these. The FJ45 SWB non removable top also had them. But the big question I have is, why some FJ40's have them even though the windshield folds down. It seems like a lot of them are like this.

Thanks
Mark

i had a 65 hardtop that had one of those hoods.

The early hardtop trucks and LV's had that style hood without windshield catches. I have three of those hoods. One on the 25 hardtop, one from a 1962 FJ40 hardtop, and one on the LV.

You're right though, it is weird that they bothered to have two different hoods even though the windshields folded down on all of them.

Yea that's what I was thinking Splangy. Well I am fairly certain that is original to my FST then. Just one of Mr. Toyota's little quirks......
Thanks for the help everyone.

Mark

It looks like original paint and primer. In fact it looks exactly like my white 25 hood! Does all the paint and patina match? I've never seen a hardtop spec hood on a FST, but it certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility that Toyota ran out of hoods during production and used whatever they had.

Yes everything matches, equal and similar patina....

Just as interesting is from mid 62 until the windshield/hard top change the windshield could not be folded down without removing the defrost vents. Believe Destins' 64 FST had the hooks and pads. Don't remember too many mid 62 thru mid 65 FST models on Mud to compare to see if they had them.

Strange but interesting Toyota facts for sure. I learn something about the old cruisers often especially from other members here on MUD.

I haven't seen anyone mention the rivets. On my FJ25 hood, the tabs that hold the windshield hooks down on the hood were riveted on, not welded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom