Driver's door wont open from the outside until after opening from the inside (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
elvinsmith.com
Hello,

If I lock and then unlock the doors, my drivers door will not open from the outside handle until after the door handle on the inside has been pulled. Once you have opened the door with the inside handle you can open the door with the outside one again and again!
Using the electronic clicker or the key or the flipper on inside of the door makes no difference.

I removed the door lock because it is easy and just takes the one bolt and it still did the same thing.
I also talked with the Toyota guy at the parts counter and he looked at me like I was on drugs and told me he had never heard of anything like that.

This is a 2007 if that makes a difference.

Any ideas before I take the door panel off?

Sometimes the levers on the door latch itself will bypass each other and it takes the right combination of manipulating to get the door open. I would get the panel open and make sure none the rods or cables are loose, then dig into pulling the latch and checking its operation outside the door.

HTH

I got the panel off this morning and the only thing I notice is that there seems t be a bit of free play in the door handle rod at the bottom end but that seems like it might be normal and is not causing the issue. I was able to pull the rod by hand and it is still not working. You can hear and feel the difference. When it is the inside handle the first time there is this kind of click, then they both work. All the stuff that is happening is on the other side of the mechanism so I can't see what is going on. I am going to have to pull it out, ARGG!!

Plug the window switch back in to roll it up, then pull the window run out of the way and you may be able to see it better. I think you are right that the outside door handle rod does not attach to the latch, but rather slides freely in a hole in the lever. There may be something out of alignment or bent at that lever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom