Rear Control Arm Options-Would like input of others who have changed from stock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to read others input on what brand of REAR control arms they used, why, experiences, satisfaction, etc.

I see different brands. Most seem to have Johnny Joints. Are these reliable? Or do they squeak if not constantly lubed?

I tried searching but didn’t find much.

Thank you for your input!
Aaron

If you are out in AZ you can probably run whatever joints you wish with less or no issues.

If you are after strength and adjustability then aftermarket is probably the way to go. If you just want fresh bushings, then you can go with OE-style replacements.

The Rokmen ones seem like a nice aftermarket - adjustable - OE-style bushings. SPC makes some too. Poly bushings will get you more articulation I think, but chances of noises are higher.

On mine I went with Moog replacements just to freshen it all up - they have been great. The best thing I did was panhard correction. I went with Dr.KDSS for the lazy+expensive route, but eimkieth has a nice affordable+stronger weld-in option.

I'm running custom links, but before that I was running Metal Tech. Before that I ran stock, but had the uppers "rebuilt" by another forum member who was cutting the upper link ends off and rebuilding them with DOM tube steel instead of the factory bar stock. The Metal Tech lowers did well and required a fair amount of maintenance. Everything from regular lubing to retorquing the jam nuts. I had one failure that amounted to the joint threads wallowing out the tube threads and the joint separated from the link. On the FJC the bracket design is such that you have to remove the links from the frame to access the zerks to lube them. Loosening and retorquing the jam nuts on the links is considered routine maintenance according to Metal Tech.

My current links were purchased from Summit Machine in SLC, Utah. The shop owner was great to work with and we communicated via email about 2 dozen times before I placed my order. Julene is very thorough and precise. The main reason I went with Summit is that her joints are built in house, not off the shelf johnny joints or heim joints. Summit's flex joints are no joke. They are greasable, serviceable and rebuildable.

A few months later I also ordered rear upper links from Summit.

Rear factory uppers
FactoryFJC-RrUCA.jpg

Retubed factory uppers
IMG_7822.JPG

Summit rear uppers
FJC_RrUppers (3).JPG

Summit rear lowers
DigDug_2000_22000_02.png

IMG_6821.JPG

IMG_7295.JPG

IMG_7308.JPG

Thanks for the responses. I ended up ordering uppers, lowers, and pan hard bar from Dobinsons. I like that they use a factory style bushing but beefier tubes and adjustable. I’m looking for dependability and as little noise as possible.

Sorry for the late response; i didn't see your original post until just now.

I have had Icon lower control arms on mine for a long time (more than 15 years) and they have held up pretty well, one johnny joint wallowed out and had to be replaced. I do use my truck pretty hard in the oil field.

Just to add to this since maybe someone will look later.

I have run MT lowers since 2015, zero issues out of them. Still have the factory uppers and panhard as well they both work for what I need, I do have a set of Resz Fab uppers that I will install at some point but no need currently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom