Drive Shaft Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David70FJ40

Older Than Most
Threads
Patient - 1970 FJ40, with 2F bell housing and 4 speed transmission conversion. Still has the original 3 speed TC.

Transplant - H55 5 speed transmission with later model split case TC. I believe the H55 will bolt up to the 2F bell housing with no problems and I will have to replace the cross brace behind the TC.

Question - I believe the flange bolt spacing on the newer TC is larger than on the old TC. I would like to reuse the stock portion of the driveshafts from the differentials. (Yes, I know there will be alterations to the length of both driveshafts.) Will the male splines from a later model drive shaft fit into the splines of an earlier model driveshaft.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I think I understand what you're trying to do, and it'll depend on how late your late model driveshaft is. Does this help?

driveshaft-flanges-jpg.559269

I believe you can mix and match different years of slip joint components. I've read about doing it, but not done it first hand.

I've not owned a split case, but on older ones you can change the front flange, and could change it to match... I'd explore that route before mixing shafts. Since the rear doesn't have a drum, you could likely convert both yokes. Round yokes can easily be redrilled to the different bolt pattern... That's what I've done with my 3rds from a 60 series.

I think I understand what you're trying to do, and it'll depend on how late your late model driveshaft is. Does this help?

driveshaft-flanges-jpg.559269

That will be a help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom