Door Lock Actuator Replacement (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

June 2010 update on source for Mabuchi motors

FYI,
We just bought 5 of the motors on Ebay with the brass tips for $9.95 ea with free shipping. Item 180500957894 from from Jeff Albertson Tag16c@yahoo.com. Ships from Winston Salem,NC. Really fast turnaround.

Just did my drivers door yesterday. I ordered the pc the first time. Turns out that the brass collar was too large to fit on the motor. Had to order the pt. I wouldn't chance it and just order the pt.

Just had my replacement motor fail in the driver door. Lasted about a year and a half. I would definitely recommend replacing them as they go bad instead of all together. This time I didn't glue the clam shell back together. I used some wire and pipe strapping to make it more serviceable.

...This time I didn't glue the clam shell back together. I used some wire and pipe strapping to make it more serviceable.

More details? Will this "give" and inhibit functionality?

I had the driver side get weak about a year ago, so I bought a motor and never got around to changing it out. Once the weather cooled off, I didn't have any issues. Fast forward to this summer and the issue came back. Finally got around to changing it out today. Took all of 45 minutes total. Not bad at all and I'm exstatic about the results.

I put my clamshell back together with a single black zip tie and trimmed it snug so it wouldn't get caught up in anything. Seems to work fine...

Only problem is that now the passenger side is weak and needs to be replaced. I paid $4 last summer. Now they're $10. Still beats $300, but the prices are getting crazy for that little motor...

More details? Will this "give" and inhibit functionality?

Still functions fine. Similar to Zip tie, just two separate wraps with rusty bailing wire after I screwed it back into the latch assembly. The pipe strapping wasn't as effective as I imagined.

It seems these parts have changed for the 2006. There is a plastic pinion now instead of metal and the pinion slides over a smaller keyed shaft with no collar. I purchased the part you guys have been using on the earlier models and it has the collar, but even if removed the shaft is to large in diameter and not keyed. I guess I'm off to get jammed by the Toyota Dealer since I have my wife's car in parts. I will take photos and post asap.

Last edited:
So, Mabuchi FC280PT 22125 motor is giving everyone some door lock problems, why do we replace them with the same and end up revisiting the same problem few years later? Did Mabuchi make any improvement on the motor or make a newer, better motor?

fc-280pc-22125

fc-280pc-22125 is available on ebay for around $9-$10!

Type the part number into the "search" bar and it pulls up the different listings for that motor.

ON THE RIGHT, THERE IS A "SORT" OPTION. SORT BY "PRICE + SHIPPING: LOWEST FIRST"

Hope this helps anyone looking for the motor :)

Door Lock Actuator removal

Thank you for such a great thread. I have followed your instructions, but cannot seem to remove the right angle piece that connects the actuator assembly to the handle.
It looks like a plastic collar around the right angle zirc fitting.
Any ideas gratefully received as the panel is off and I am in a holding pattern

Door Lock Actuator removal

Very odd. Will not push out, worried about breaking the plastic door handle attachment. This is not the yellow plastic version I have read about but a clear plastic one. Is there a trick to compressing the collar?

I had the same problem with the white plastic piece so I removed the piece that engages the door handle (held in by a plastic pin that is easily accessible). Be careful not to lose the spring and note how it comes out. Hope you can tell from the pics.
IMG_3530.jpg
IMG_3531.jpg

I have read the entire series of Qs and As about replacing the door lock actuator for a lexus at this site. Can I assume that any Toyota motor company car, like a 2005 Highlander, can use the same motor to fix the driver door actuator? Yes, the cost to have a Toyota dealer fix the actuator is sky high, so even $7.25 for one Mabuchi FC 280PT 22125 motor seems reasonable. The photos, guides to remove the door panels, and all the excellent back and forth discussion is better than I have ever seen at any auto site, and I also commend all of you for a job well done.
Again, will the Mabuchi FC 280PT 22125 motor fit into the actuator for my 2005 Toyoto Highlander?
Many thanks, Thomboy

Any idea if these same motors will work on a 2005 Toyota Highlander for the driver's door actuator? $600 to have a dealer do the work is too rich for my blood!! Thanks for any replies.

I have no idea. You probably won't find the answer here as it is a Land Cruiser website for the most part. However, if you buy one for $10 and it doesn't work, you can always just chaulk it up as an attempt at a cheap fix. Hell, if you can't use it, somebody here could. Worst case scenario is that you're out $10. Best case is that you're out $10 and you save $590 on the repair. Cheap gamble with potentially huge rewards, if you ask me.

Thanks, I am fishing. Not sure where to go to get an answer for a highlander, but thought, what the heck. I will order the part and give it a shot. Like you say, being out $10 is a worthwhile try.

If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll take it off your hands. I need to get one anyway in the next couple months to replace one that's getting "weak".

Just go for it open up the door and pry open the actuator. Worst case you just buy the part at the dealer if you find that the motor is different and finish the project with that part saving the labor at ~$95/hr.

Best case you save $590 and can do a writeup for the Highlander that will give you internet immortality.

Even better repair the door, ditch the Highlander, buy a cruiser and join the best auto forum on the planet. :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom