DIY Homemade Carbon Fiber Snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is one of the absolute coolest DIY projects I've ever seen for a 60 series. Hell I'd pay double the cost of a plastic Safari one to have a carbon fiber one like yours.

I'd love to do something like this myself, but I'm not sure how much luck I'd have.

When you attached the nutserts, did you crimp them into place, or are they just held there by the third carbon layer?

That is very nice work.

Thanks guys for the nice comments!

This was a pretty fun project overall. I am curious to see how effective the snorkel is. I live on a dusty dirt road and my air filters get clogged up fairly quick here in the desert. Hopefully this will extend my filter changes. I am also curious to see if it gives me any MPG benefit on the highway with the ram air effect going into my turbo on longer trips.

I'll post up my results as I find them.

Don

Paladin356
Yes, the red sticker sure does help sometimes.:D

Spook50,

The nutserts were the flange style and they were just sandwiched between the third layer and epoxy. I then just ran a tap through them to clean the epoxy out.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that if you are going to do this project, to make sure to use real epoxy resin. Most of the stuff you see at home depot or car repair shops is Polyester resin and it is incompatible with carbon fiber. It will harden up and seem ok, but it won't have the structural strength of real epoxy resin. Just look at the ingredients and it will say if it is Polyester. Most epoxys are 2to1 or 1to1 ratios of mix and polyesters usually have a small tube of hardener so that is another dead giveaway when your looking.

Enjoy:)

Don

My favorite is the IAFF "anti-ticket" mod on the back window
i assumed he was a fire fighter with 24 on 48 off you can be creative like that. very awesome i am going to try this to make a snorkel for my chevy diesel dually. i already have the safari snorkel on my 60. i must say yours looks just as if not better then my expensive store bought, and you have the satisfaction of building it yourself! check out the donaldson prefilter head i got mine from cruiserheads. it was around $60 it uses centrifical force to catch dirt. i maintain a ranch that is down a 7 mile long washboard dirt road i am amazed at the stuff mine catches. here is a picture of mine
103_0456.jpg

Last edited:
The more I look at this the more I want to tackle this once I have other projects completed. It'd be a first for me doing anything with carbon, but if I could make it work, it'd be awesome. One thing I'm wondering though is how best to seal the snorkel to the intake hose.

One crazy idea I had considered would be to weld a 3" tube onto the factory (FJ62) airbox in place of the stock one and then just run flexible 3" from the snorkel right to that.

I better stop thinking about this before it becomes one of the many "started but still not finished" projects on my to-do list....

This has to be one of the best DIY projects I've seen anywhere that is vehicle related. Great job all around.

Thanks guys for the nice comments!

I really was surprised how well the finish and fit came out, especially not having done the lost foam method before.

I really like those Donaldson centrifugal heads. I may save my money for one of those, after I get a few other projects done. I'm working on some homemade roof rack mounts and a rack right now.

Thanks again,

Don

This is pretty cool. Were there a lot of voids (air bubbles) in the carbon once you were all done?

Your truck is awesome. I actually really like the FJC wheels you have on there. Looks really good as a total package.

Location, location, location

2Sun62,

Hey thanks, hope to see you too! I live on the NW side, how bout' you?

Don

Not that the question was directed at me, but I'm down by DMAFB. I've got a full length expedition rack on my rig, and I have some damn heavy duty gutter mounts if you want to take measurements, etc.

Glenn

Derelict,

I didn't have any air bubbles, but I did have a few depressions where one layer overlapped another here and there.

Glenn,

Thanks for the offer, I'm actually already copying the Confer style but with a few simplifications.

Thanks,

Don

Nice job and creativity! Such a shame to hide that beautiful CF...

I'd love to have the skill to do this!

I wonder if there would be any advantage going slightly bigger on the diameter of the tube for less air restriction?

well done longbow!

Dude.. that is a great project and seen the beginning to end take place is pretty phenomenal...!!

Hat's off to yah........... and thanks for posting.......it !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom