Builds Diesel Conversion to Isuzu 4BD1T (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I want a 4bd1t under my hood....
I dont need it...but I want one !!

Folsom,

Just use a oil filter housing from a 4BD1T or do a remote oil filter like Doug720 did on his conversion with a 2T. Here is the link to his very well done thread. His probably gives the most info on how to do this conversion. https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/400148-journey-begins.html

And yes, the prime button is wired hot so that I can change filters and then prime right there all at once.

Wengejor,

I really like the Mercedes OM617. It was my first runner up after the Isuzu. It is a bomb proof engine.

I don't have any dislikes about the Isuzu engine at all. It has great torque on the low end and has plenty of power for my needs. Way more than a 2F. I installed a hand throttle for an 80 series and when I go 4wheeling I just set the throttle at a little above idle and it chugs through just about anything it comes to. In fact I would say that most of its torque curve is below 2000 rpm. The only suggestion I would make is to install a larger turbo. The factory turbo is pretty small and doesn't put out anywhere near enough boost for this engine. I'm sure the engineers designed it for extreme longevity, but it really wakes up with a larger turbo.

Manuchao,

Oh, you neeeeeed one! I wouldn't change your engine though. You did such a great job on that conversion, I would hate to see it torn out. What you need to do is start building another 60 or 80 with an Isuzu diesel in it! You can't have just one cruiser. The addiction must keep spreading;)

Very nice work. I even like the engine color choice. My last couple rebuilds were grey also.
I have a 4BD2 in my Suburban that I'm almost done with. I even bought a second 4bd2 to rebuild like you did on yours. Then some weekend I'll pull this engine in there now and swap it out for the newly rebuilt one.
Im running a Holset HE341 turbo a Sanden 508 a/c comp and a Delco 22SI alt.

Thanks for your info/post

Burning oil,

Hey thanks for the comments. How does the HE341 spool up? Is there much lag and do you have the fuel screw turned up or is it set at stock settings?

I am looking for an upgrade turbo for my second motor and would like something with more boost and not too much lag.

Thanks,

Don

Well Im not sure yet. Its a project in the finishing stages.
I have everything still set to stock settings. I want to keep it there until I can fire it up again and make sure everything still runs as it is. This was a donor engine from a Chevy W3500 and I was driving it until I pulled the engine.

Still have to plumb in the intercooler, finish the oil pan modifcation, and a bunch of other small details.

Just posted this picture to see if I could do pictures yet (newbe;)).
Anyway its a small detail I got done today.
As I am running a 22SI alt I had no need for the vac pump oiling. SO, I used those ports to do a bypass oil filter. You can also see the turbo and 22SI alt.
Sorry for the semi highjack.
DSCN3209.JPG
DSCN3209.JPG

Hi, longbow!

I just read through this whole thread, started on doug's... I'm planning a diesel swap into an 81 Toyota pickup, and after finding that there are adapters for them, and hearing how happy you are with yours, I'm looking into it further.

My biggest concern is fitment: an '81 pickup has less room than your Cruiser, and you had to do an axle lift, which I'm trying hard to avoid doing in mine. Could you please post some pics of the clearances involved with the diff, axle, oilpan, and front driveshaft (as applicable)? How much room is there between the top of the rocker cover (or rather, the intake hose as it looks higher) and the hood?

Hi Gedrven,

My first concern with an 81 truck would be the distance between frame rails. Can you tell me the distance between them on your truck. There is minimal clearance with my frame.

Don

First post (sorry for the temp hijack) Does anyone know if there is a way you can use the Isuzu Aisan Warner auto (off '99 up 4HE1TC) on the 4BD1TC? I'm looking at doing a swap into a '68 IH Travelall.

First post (sorry for the temp hijack) Does anyone know if there is a way you can use the Isuzu Aisan Warner auto (off '99 up 4HE1TC) on the 4BD1TC? I'm looking at doing a swap into a '68 IH Travelall.

You could do it by using the bellhousing of the JR403E automatic that came with the 4BD1/2 and the torque converter from an A440F and then doing like longbow did here https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...suzu-4bd1t-swap-part-ii-now-w-a440f-auto.html Instead of using the A440F transmission, you would use the Aisin AW450. You might also be able to use the AW450 torque converter taking a similar approach as longbow's.

The 4BD1T motor I'm looking at buying has a 3 speed Jatco automatic on it (not a big fan of those transmissions from back in my Datsun days and this one is dead, so the parts truck is only $1,000) and I'd really like to have an O/D which is why I'm looking at the AW450 (yards are full of them for cheap because they seem to go 300,000+ and Jatcos only go 150,000)
I'm trying to get the info together before taking the plunge. I'm also currently unemployed which makes the $$ hard to come by (I'll get it in part trade for my '03 E250 I'm selling to make ends meet)

The 4BD1T motor I'm looking at buying has a 3 speed Jatco automatic on it (not a big fan of those transmissions from back in my Datsun days and this one is dead, so the parts truck is only $1,000) and I'd really like to have an O/D which is why I'm looking at the AW450 (yards are full of them for cheap because they seem to go 300,000+ and Jatcos only go 150,000)
I'm trying to get the info together before taking the plunge. I'm also currently unemployed which makes the $$ hard to come by (I'll get it in part trade for my '03 E250 I'm selling to make ends meet)

More than likely, the 4BD1T came with a Jatco JR403E which has overdrive (3-spd + OD). Check out posts by nexxusian here Isuzu 4BD1T/2T He is running a Jatco and has some suggestions to improve its longevity.

If you have access to bunches of AW450, then you should be able to get the Isuzu 4HE1s or 4HK1s that they came with. If the starter location does not pose a problem for you, that may be a better choice than the 4BD1 for you.

Starter location is not a problem, but 80% of the 4H motors in the yard have rods out the side of the block with less than 200,000 miles on them. The runners they want $3,000+ for. The Jatco Trans has no O/D on the shifter (It's in an NPR truck)
I'll start my own thread in a bit rather than clutter this one up anymore.

Hey Don

How did you adapt your ac lines from The new compressor to the Toyota bits? I think you said you built your own? Did you use Rex there in Tuscon at Coolstream? I am putting parts together for mine and am looking for insight. Especially if you have yours working well and have already been down this path.

Thanks!

Clint

Hi Clint,

Yeah I built my own. I did use Rex at coolstream here in town for some of the fittings, some from another shop because neither had all that I needed. I used a sanden 709 pump and then took the toyota fittings down to the shops and got ones that were identical (metric ones that are not that common) and then bought about ten feet of both the high pressure and low pressure since my pump is on the opposite side as the 2F. I ended up running my lines out the front and across in the valance and back in on the other side. I ran my lines first and then cut them to length and then crimped the fittings on the ends in place on the truck. I then hooked everything up and pulled a vacuum for about 4 days to make sure it didn't leak down and then charged it up and everything has been working great since.

I used the Sanden 709 because it is smaller in diameter than the standard 508 model they make and the fittings are on top. I only have about 1/2" inch clearance between the pump and the steering box with the belt tightened up. Doug had to move his steering box out with a spacer to get his to work. I had to build my own tensioning device and build some spacers to get all the geometry to work, but it has worked for over a year now with no problems. I didn't get the factory tensioner with either of my Isuzu engines but I think it is a pretty good system because it uses a tensioning pulley so you don't have to swivel out the pump to tension the belt. I think I will probably use that system on my second build. Here are a couple of photos of my system. Let me know if you have any other questions Clint.

Don

sanden709.jpg
acpump.jpg

Hey Don

Thanks for the pic! It definitely helps visualize everything better. I am sure I will be able to get set up with a place here in Portland to do my lines as I don't have access to the crimping tool. We're you able to utilize some of the stock Toyota lines? I am assuming you did based on how you described the set up.

Last few questions (for now) did you end up with r12 or r134 and how much oil did you end up running? I read somewhere it's like 16oz. Does that sound correct?

Thanks in advance I appreciate it.

Clint

Hi Clint,

I had to build all new lines except for the small diameter one from the firewall to the dryer. I ended up keeping mine R12 because I had access to some and it just works better here in the desert (110 degrees!). If I lived someplace cooler I would have converted to R134 for ease of refrigerant purchase.
Here is a link to that actual compressor that I bought.eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

They come filled from these guys with an oil that is compatible with either R12 or R134, so I don't know how much oil was in it. I'm sure Rex would know the capacity needed if you got one that was empty, he is like the Zen master of auto a/c stuff. 16oz sounds like an awful lot to me, but I really don't know.

I borrowed the crimping tool from my FD fleet maintenance dept. I fix their guns and they let me borrow their special tools so it works out pretty good for all of us.:D One of the benefits of working for a smaller 10 station department like mine.

Hope this helps!

Don

There are a bunch of other vehicles that use the Sanden 709 or sd709. Here is a small list that I compiled so that later I can find one if mine blows up.

86-89 Hyundai Excel
86 Honda Accord
93-95 Land Rover Defender 90
87-91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

It is a pretty common compressor, but these models have the ports on top rear instead of out the back which will interfere with the exhaust.

Don

Hey Don,
I must thank you very much for doing this excellent write up. Just recently got my 86 FJ60 registered and running. First off replaced a leaky carb. Then of course the fuel pump failed, so I replace that. 10 mpg's is very depressing as all of us can relate to. A guy I work with runs bio in his 6BT dodge, so there came my answer. The cummins motor while being an excellent motor requires more money than I have to throw at the truck currently, in your words "working man with a family budget". So on went my search for affordable diesel. Being new, I figured Toyota diesel should be affordable, but of course my bubble was burst. I had no hope of affordable diesel until I came across your thread. Upon reading I found the light, and I thank you and all the other users of this wonderful forum for all the readily avail knowledge. It is humbling to see such a community of this because most people keep it to themselves. Excellent write up and work on your truck and for the hopes of a diesel fired cruiser!
-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom