Crankshaft and Harmonic Balancer Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long post....

84 FJ60 had a major meltdown two weeks ago. At first I was panicked and sickened, but got some great advice from past posts on this forum and wanted to share my tale in order to help someone else out in the future.

I'd been fighting with keeping the HB tight for several years. In retrospect I should have Loctited it down the first time it happened but....finally the key got literally smeared inside the pulley, the crankshaft keyway had been wallowed out, and the nut had worn such a groove in the pulley that it couldn't cinch it down.

Approaches that had been discussed were JB welding up the keyway, brazing a new key in the keyway, and welding and grinding the crankshaft. My thoughts were: 1) JB weld is good, but not that good. 2) I've never brazed before and couldn't conceive of how to get the crank hot enough, but I guess it can be done. 3) Always wanted a welder, easy to convince the wife that it's that or a new motor!

Man-a-Fre has the new aftermarket balancers for $250, but delivery was going to be six weeks, so was going to bite the bullet and get a new one. For that price, it's cheaper to buy from Specter, get the club membership, and pay shipping than to go to the dealer, so that's what I did. The guys at Specter twisted my arm to buy a used one for $200. I was reluctant but, after being assured it would have a good keyway I went for the used one. Got a little PO'd when it had two nice grooves in it from the last oil seal. Oh well, nothing a speedi-sleeve couldn't fix. So I painted it up, looks like new, saved $300.

I practiced a little with the welder while I was waiting for parts, but am by no means an expert. Got a small Craftsman MIG, didn't want to run all over to get gas so just used the flux core wire and made sure to clean and brush often.

I used a Dremel with a few stone wheels and a carbide cutter bit to shape up the crankshaft. It took a lot of patience, but wasn't too bad. I had plenty of time while waiting for parts to be delivered.

While practicing my welding, I built the "SST" to hold the pulley in place while torquing the nut. If I'd had that three years ago, I wouldn't be writing this. Just some 1/8" x 1 inch steel bar from Home Depot welded in a J-shape with enough space inside to get the 46mm socket in. Wedge it under the frame and torque away. ( I've read several astronomical torque readings for that nut, up to 300+ ft-lbs. My 2F manual says 116-144 ft-lbs!!!) My wrench only goes up to 140, I probably went to ~170 with no loctite yet, I want to make sure the timing cover doesn't leak.

One last thing. When replacing the timing cover, I was so extremely meticulous about doing everything right, only to find I couldn't get the "blind" screw under the water pump to thread in. After much cussing, I realized that the flange for the oil cooler hose bracket is too large to fit on the outside of the timing cover and still get the holes to align! Was this meant to go under the timing cover???? That's a leak waiting to happen. I ended up getting out the dikes and cutting the flange down so it would fit on the outside.

Running great for now, only time will tell. Thanks to Hamo for his posts regarding this fix.
NewKey.jpg
OldKey.jpg

Will be making the same repairs this weekend. Great description of the repairs...do you have any more pics of this reapir, if so could you send them to gregorys1030@hotmail.com. Thanks

Great info. Mine is pretty messed up. It's almost a ramp on one side. But this gives me hope.
Thanks.

I'm about ready to weld up the keyway on the crankshaft. I'm going to need to remove the timing gear cover. It looks rather straight forward...just remove the bolts and carefully slide it off. Are there any surprises waiting for me? I'm assuming I'll need to replace the gasket on the cover. I've never done anything like this and I'm a little (a lot) hesitant.
Any help/suggestions/pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

don't mix up where the bolts/screws go in the timing cover....You guys are brave. I would opt to take it to the machinist. the crank, that is. but that's cuz I'm sure I'd screw it up. besides, I'd get a case of the while-I'm-in-theres and have to open the VC to get the pushrods out, open the side galley to get the lifters, pull the cam and timing plate to ensure there weren't any leaks after all the other work. what PN are you gunna use for the speedi-sleeve?

I eon't have the $$$, tools, time, experience to pull the engine, dismantle the engine to get to the crank shaft. I realize what I'm doing is not the best way. But, my 60 isn't running now, if I make things worse it still won't be running. I can weld pretty good and I'm planning on taking my time and doing the best I can. I just want to remove the cover so I can get to the key way. I have no idea what a speedi-sleeve is. That is probably not good.

:beer: hey, not knocking it. I've done lots of thing out of necessity:doh:. just, don't mix up where the bolts and screws from the timing cover go. take pics and post up.

I'd love to see more photos too. And @CaptClose maybe this is the source of the leaks you sent me a pix of?

shaft after weld 1.JPG
shaft after weld 2.JPG
shaft before weld 2.JPG
Shaft before weld.JPG
I covered the exposed parts with a "weld shield" that I didn't want weld splatter to hit. I then welded 1 pass to build up the ramp that leads into the key way. My plan is to grind that then weld another pass to carefully fill in the key way where it is too wide. My thoughts are there'll be less to grind/file if I do it in layers/sections. The bottom 2 are before welding; the top are after welding.
This view is from underneath looking up.

Last edited:
I just replaced my HB with a used one , It still wobbles.. Someone said I need to get it balanced with a crank? Is that true? or should I try a a 3rd HB? Maybe I had a bad replacement HB?

The outer pulleys are held onto the HB with rivets. The rivets can loosen and create a wobble. They can even loosen enough that they break loose and the pulley frees itself from the HB.

image.jpeg

Never use a three jaw pulley puller on the outer pulley to remove the HB from the crank. Use a threaded bolt-type pulley. There are two threaded holes in the HB specifically meant for this purpose. A three jaw puller will stress the rivets and bend the outer pulley and cause a wobble. This may be the problem with your "new" pulley. The parts guy pulled it with a three jaw puller and bent it.

Speedy sleeve too... Could that be something that might be necessary if there is a wobble? @Cruiser Jimmy was just telling me that if there is a gap as a result of the FCS wearing down the lip of the HB... you can get the sleeve at SOR. "If you can run your fingernail on the HB and feel a divot then you need a speedy sleeve."

I believe I've got the sides reinforced adequately. I used channel lock pliers to tap the key way in place. It's tight and doesn't wobble. I need to remove it and file a little to smooth the shaft. I won't know exactly how much to file until the HB arrives. If all is well I can begin reassemble in a few days.

I have a question. I plan on using loctite to keep the bolt from coming off (again). Should I use blue or red?

key way 1.JPG

key way 2.JPG

Jeebus, that looks like a crankshaft Glory Hole ! :eek:

I believe I've got the sides reinforced adequately. I used channel lock pliers to tap the key way in place. It's tight and doesn't wobble. I need to remove it and file a little to smooth the shaft. I won't know exactly how much to file until the HB arrives. If all is well I can begin reassemble in a few days.

I have a question. I plan on using loctite to keep the bolt from coming off (again). Should I use blue or red?

View attachment 1322977

View attachment 1322978
I just read a thread from '06 Loctite 660 is the recommended compound for the feather key... Your asking of the nut on the HB? I found that a previous person had a garage weld mine to the HB. I had to cut through it with a dremel. There is a few youtube videos specifically on the 660 for keyway repairs. I am looking into doing the same with mine in the next week or two. Yours is nicer than mine by far, great job welding.

Thanks. It took about 3 full days to get everything ready and about 40 seconds of weld time. Yes, I was referring too Loctite on the nut. I ordered a loc washer from SOR also. I don't have one.

Thanks. It took about 3 full days to get everything ready and about 40 seconds of weld time. Yes, I was referring too Loctite on the nut. I ordered a loc washer from SOR also. I don't have one.
Pretty sure mine did not either when I took it off. Thanks for the reminder!

So I just ordered the washer as well but realized its says up to 1980 so now I'm not too sure I need it. I also checked the diagram that my local Toyota emailed me and I don't see it in there either.... And just got confirmation. No crank nut washer after 1981.

Great! I guess I should have read the small print. That was money wasted. I appreciate you telling me. I won't wait for that part to be delivered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom