Comments about the coming EV revolution and our 100's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My daily is a 2015 Fiat 500e. I have put about 10,000 miles in half a year and it has been the most fun vehicle I’ve ever owned.

I’d love an electric LX

They won't get rounded up and crushed? You greatly underestimate the idiocy of the people in DC. The vast majority of the population drives only because they have to, and will gladly take a large sum of (tax) money for their ICE vehicle in order to get a cool new electric. Or the idiots will make it annoying/hard/expensive to drive a gas powered vehicle. This will happen.

Eh... agree to disagree, I think fossil fuels will still be around for a while, at least for our lifetimes. Probably will be the last generation though.

I’d love an electric LX

I agree. I love seeing these EV converted classic mustangs, Datsuns, and the specs on the Rivian and similar trucks. If given the opportunity to convert my 100 I would certainly consider it. I could see it being practical to the way I use my truck. I could also see the entire roof being converted to a solar panel since I don’t keep my roof rack up there all the time. I think technology will continue to progress to the point that the draw of the high mpg diesel swaps will then be a high performance EV swap that everyone wants.

It's a volt truly an electric vehicle? I've always considered it a hybrid due to the ICE it has.

It’s a hybrid. But I consider mine more of an EV with a backup plan - considering I’ve used 12 gallons of gas in 7 month and 6k miles of ownership.

Pretty interesting analysis of Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Electric Vehicles (EV), Oil Industry and Auto companies.

If true, this is as big a "disruptive technology" as that that hit Kodak and Polaroid.

- why GM and Ford is getting out of cars
- why GM and Ford still selling SUVs and Trucks
- 2023 is the disruptive year
- Tesla will buy bankrupted Ford Motor Company
- Price of gasoline
- You ICE vehicle will soon be worthless

Very interesting video:

GM isn't getting out of cars from what I've read.

They're cutting spend and reducing their models. They focusing on autonomous and electric, expected to launch 20+ electric vehicles in 5 years.

Is Tesla profitable yet?

I'll flag this video to watch later just because I'm interested to hear what they have to say.

I think the future for EVs and ICE vehicles is this. I think EVs will become people’s “around town” vehicles, and people will still own ICE vehicles for distance travel. I think that passenger rail travel for long distance/vacation type trips will also re-emerge for this purpose. Ride the train/plane to your destination, rent an EV or ICE vehicle at your destination point, and use public transportation to return home.

Until they develop an EV, that can go 3-4 hundred miles on a charge, recharge with the convenience/time of gassing up your ICE vehicle, and sell at a competitive price, EV popularity and use will be limited to population centers and have limited use in rural areas.

FWIW, I also think the current batch of 20 somethings will be one of the last generations to experience car ownership, due to prices and costs of ownership.

Last edited:
It’s a hybrid. But I consider mine more of an EV with a backup plan - considering I’ve used 12 gallons of gas in 7 month and 6k miles of ownership.

We have a Volt as well. It's actually a perfect compliment to our LC. We've had it just under 2 years and put 23k on it. Just under 100 mpg in that time. You can pick one up used for a screaming deal. We use it for commuting and local stuff and try to save the LC for stuff where the whole family is going somewhere together or vacations. Both vehicles are great at what they are intended for.

Eh... agree to disagree, I think fossil fuels will still be around for a while, at least for our lifetimes. Probably will be the last generation though.

Never said fossil fuels will go away. They will have their place for a good long while.
What I said was....the idiots in DC will get lobbied to ban/limit gas powered vehicles in place of EVs, as more EVs are produced and the auto makers want to sell more. Theyll accomplish this any number of ways....higher fuel taxes, limit where you can drive a gas car, won't let you register gas cars of a certain age, etc. Those morons never cease to amaze.

GM isn't getting out of cars from what I've read.

They're cutting spend and reducing their models. They focusing on autonomous and electric, expected to launch 20+ electric vehicles in 5 years.

Is Tesla profitable yet?

I'll flag this video to watch later just because I'm interested to hear what they have to say.
Tesla has now started to become profitable with the production of the Model 3 ramping up. They made 311 million dollars in profit in the third quarter of 2018

Amazon Web Services is another perfect example of adoption rate.

Tesla has made a killing off their ZEV credits.

How quickly will the manufactures be able to shift to EV to provide the supply thus enabling the adoption rate to increase? Surprised they didn't really cover this in the video.

it's safe to quit watching that vid at

ICE sales will approach zero by 2026

How absurd. I'll bump this Jan 2026.

So using predictive analysis from the last two seconds to decide when a proven and well established medium is going extinct is taken as fact, I call BS. While electric is "green" (you decide the definition on carbon footprint and the way Mother Earth is destroyed to achieve "Green" status) I will continue to drive a fossil fuel vehicle that I can work on myself over a 9 volt jalopy with proprietary electric technology. Not trolling, just could not let the commercial/advertisement for electric go unchecked. Luddite at large, Comet.

Pretty interesting analysis of Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Electric Vehicles (EV), Oil Industry and Auto companies.

If true, this is as big a "disruptive technology" as that that hit Kodak and Polaroid.

- why GM and Ford is getting out of cars
- why GM and Ford still selling SUVs and Trucks
- 2023 is the disruptive year
- Tesla will buy bankrupted Ford Motor Company
- Price of gasoline
- You ICE vehicle will soon be worthless

Very interesting video:

Just watched the video actually. I'm not sure I buy everything they are saying but there's some interesting things in their. One of them that struck home for me was the idea of people holding off on buying new cars because they know new technology is coming. I would say I feel strongly about that and agree. I personally don't even look at new cars and trucks. The price and old technology really give me pause with how fast the technology is advancing. It's one of the reason I came to the 100 series. I wanted something relatively low tech that could do more than just be a road queen and could go off roading and adventuring around the country but that didn't break the bank like a new truck would. Something an ev can't currently do. I feel like there will be a niche market for such vehicles. I feel like in 10 years there will be a pretty good network to drive an ev car or truck across the country with fast charging sticking to major roads. Getting that technology to out of the way places will take awhile. But in the mean time I don't feel comfortable spending 50k plus on a new truck to do those things. Especially since we only drive our LC about 6 to 8k miles a year.

2007 was the least imported into USA, why:doh:
2012 wasn't even produced for the USAo_O

Why didn't Toyota release the 300 series yet:hmm:
Why doesn't anyone know what power plant will be in the 300 series:idea:

Could the days of sub $1 gasoline be returning:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I actually think about this more frequently than I care to admit as well for a couple of different reasons though:

1. Flame on but my dad has more money than he knows what to do with and is a Porsche fan boy. He currently owns a 2018 GT3 RS, GT4, and '08 GT3 RS (which is interesting because it was the last of the six-speed transmission which is ALSO going into extinction). Reason I mention this is Porsche is HEAVILY moving towards electric vehicles if you follow news. Furthermore, some guy he knows that works for Porsche said they're moving towards 100% Turbo on all of their ICE vehicles because of pressure from the European and Chinese markets to meet ever-tightening emissions requirements, which is why he bought this latest iteration of the RS because it's apparently the last of a dying breed and almost certainly last of the NA RS cars.

Read: End of an era for NA engines and eventually ICE for Porsche and all of their sister companies (thanks diesel-gate). VW group is an enormous company and other car-makes will follow suit.

2. In the UK, may be a MUD member who can chime in, they are making it more and more difficult to own "CO2 polluters". Insurance premiums and taxes. So those on here talking about driving our dinosaurs until they pry them from our cold, dead hands, we'll just get priced out of the market.

3. That leads me further down the rabbit hole. I want to believe the skeptics on here that don't think ICE vehicles will be crushed and what not, because in a true free market, the market will drive change. The problem is, and I'm not plugging for or against climate change, Climate Change has become a religion that many blindly follow and the governments have now taken the free market and tainted it. So I do believe that just like the "Cash-for-Clunkers" program they will initially offer buybacks for cars (just like guns), but eventually we will be governed off the roads for "our safety".

This is CHIT-CHAT now fellas, but make no mistake, our 100's are dinosaurs compared to whats coming. As for me, I've always appreciated the idea of BIO-diesel.

The question may not be EV vs ICE, it may be a question of human operated vs self driving. Will self driving become autonomous and safe enough that humans are no longer alllowed to drive on public roads? Will there be driving parks just like off road parks. Pay a fee, get to drive an old fashioned horseless buggy!!!

Going to have to figure out the legal part of self driving vehicles first. Who gets blamed for a collision? Driver? Programmer? Manufacturer?

In this country, you gotta know who you can sue first. Then when you win the lawsuit, you get the money. Then when you get the money, then you get the woman.

Cool factor of a 100 is pretty low too, fellas. We love them because we know whats underneath but lets not fool ourselves into thinking the rest of the world sees anything other than a bubbley soccermom mobile

As TFL Car said, they're "Frumpy", which was a key decision point when they chose to buy the 200 series. They also said they didn't like calling the Lexus version Land Cruisers as that is infringing on their journalistic integrity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom