Comments about the coming EV revolution and our 100's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats your predictions about the coming EV revolution and our 100's?
How many more years till self driving and more efficient Electric Vehicles make Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles less desirable and irrelevant. Some forecasters suggest the year 2025.

I suspect the price of gasoline won't stay at current levels and will either deviate significantly upward, or deviate significantly downward.

Personally today I would be somewhat reluctant to purchase a new ICE vehicle and would instead look for good used vehicles anticipating the disrupting technology switch to electric.

GM and Ford are getting out of passenger cars and I think they realize the future. A lot of other manufacturers are scurrying to come out with Electric Vehicles.

So, I suspect our LX100's and Land Cruisers can easily ride us to 2025 and might just be ready for scrap or collector car status.

I've seen numbers that predict 125 million electric by 2030 and expectations of 2 billion vehicles on the road by 2030, so that makes it 6%.

It will certainly be interesting to see how things continue to change.

I think the forecasters are overly optimistic. EV's are a good fit for people that can drive EV's. City people. People that don't put 8,000 miles a month on a vehicle. People that don't carry much more than a couple of kids and groceries for a week.

There will be anoption to convert to electric even for these heavy pigs. Actually it's already available but not practical

The question may not be EV vs ICE, it may be a question of human operated vs self driving. Will self driving become autonomous and safe enough that humans are no longer alllowed to drive on public roads? Will there be driving parks just like off road parks. Pay a fee, get to drive an old fashioned horseless buggy!!!

I have a Chevy Volt as my daily. It’s pretty incredible and keep the miles I’m stacking on the 100 low. 90% of my driving is dropping kids at school, to work and back. I average 30 miles a day. It costs me $0.40 per day to run the Volt and little to no maintenance.

But the cool factor is really low.

{#Chit chat}

By the time that transition (more ev than gas cars) takes place the 100 will be “antique” status and likely provided exempt status. Anyway I think we are 20-25 years from EV being predominant here in the US.

There’s a lot of oil in the ground and they keep finding more. Definitely not scarce. Unless gasoline is heavily taxed to Offset carbon~punish hydrocarbon users, I dont see it becoming a high dollar per gallon scenario in the coming 15-20 years (in the US anyway).

I have a Chevy Volt as my daily. It’s pretty incredible and keep the miles I’m stacking on the 100 low. 90% of my driving is dropping kids at school, to work and back. I average 30 miles a day. It costs me $0.40 per day to run the Volt and little to no maintenance.

Simple problem to fix. Trade the Volt in on a Tesla

When automakers switch to pure EV there's still going to be tons of carbon fuel vehicles on the road, they're not going to all get rounded up and crushed...

Either way clean LC's across the board are going to go up in value as the years go on.

Cool factor of a 100 is pretty low too, fellas. We love them because we know whats underneath but lets not fool ourselves into thinking the rest of the world sees anything other than a bubbley soccermom mobile

If/when self driven cars become more proven/safe, insurance may be too expensive for human driven cars for people to afford/justify.

It's a volt truly an electric vehicle? I've always considered it a hybrid due to the ICE it has.

When automakers switch to pure EV there's still going to be tons of carbon fuel vehicles on the road, they're not going to all get rounded up and crushed...

Either way clean LC's across the board are going to go up in value as the years go on.

They won't get rounded up and crushed? You greatly underestimate the idiocy of the people in DC. The vast majority of the population drives only because they have to, and will gladly take a large sum of (tax) money for their ICE vehicle in order to get a cool new electric. Or the idiots will make it annoying/hard/expensive to drive a gas powered vehicle. This will happen.

Cool factor of a 100 is pretty low too, fellas. We love them because we know whats underneath but lets not fool ourselves into thinking the rest of the world sees anything other than a bubbley soccermom mobile

A soccer mom vehicle that can gobble up washboard at 75mph (properly set up)

This is a super interesting topic to me. I'll probably get on a tangent, but I think about this stuff pretty regularly.

I love seeing all the different perspectives, especially on MUD, as we are a bunch of folks who use our vehicles to get out into nature. Being someone who who lives in CO and sees firsthand the impacts of climate change, I feel like a bit of a hypocrite driving a gas guzzling 100. I put a solar set-up on my home that produces about 110% of the energy we use annually to make up for my guilt - and to do what I can reduce my carbon footprint.

When the day comes that the infrastructure is in place, costs have come down and technology makes charging quicker - I will absolutely hop on the EV bandwagon. I suspect that by then it won't be a bandwagon though. I'm not exactly an early adopter.

I see companies like Rivian trying to fill the niche for folks like us, and I really hope they can be successful.

https://products.rivian.com/

Now, take my appreciation for the outdoors (and keeping Earth inhabitable for my kids) out of the equation, as a 'car guy' I absolutely love the ICE. My daily is a 20 year old BMW 3 series and running that I6 up to redline with a proper manual transmission just can't be replaced. I have a buddy with a Tesla and he swears that when I drive it I'll forget about the joy of the ICE/manual trans combo. I'm not sold. I do, however, really hope that EVs take off - as mentioned above, the vast majority of drivers could care less, so let's get them in EVs. For example, my wife drives a '15 Forester XT - awesome car, but if there was an affordable AWD EV version, we would swap it out quickly.

As for the 100, like mentioned above, unless gas prices get crazy I don't see the EV revolution impacting our vehicles much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom