Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that'd be a fair comparison :flipoff2:

It's going to be since he bought an new OEM CC last year and it didn't fix the problem and is now trying the GM :D

Call me crazy but... Any point/benefit of fitting 2 of them canisters in a certain configuration? Just my OCD kicking in :hillbilly:

Can't wait to see if GM (Pontiac no less :eek:) charcoal is superior to Toyota charcoal. If it is, what next :flipoff2:?

A Duramax? My engine can handle 80 MPH with the camper comfortably (as treeroot and the gang I saw on the way back from CM), but I'd like to do wheelie's at the same time...:cool:

It's going to be since he bought an new OEM CC last year and it didn't fix the problem and is now trying the GM :D

I think I'll pick one up in the next week or two. The :princess: is headed to the Dirty D (enver) in the middle of June while I'm in Seattle. She'll definitely let me know if there are any issues, as she always does...

BTW, she is getting a new TDI Jetta Sportwagen later this summer, so the Cruiser is going to become my official hobby/adventure/hunting/camping rig!

Wait a min now, let's not compare a 10+ yr od CC with a new GM CC :rolleyes: Now, if you were to ask how a new Toyota CC compares with a new GM CC, that'd be a fair comparison :flipoff2:

Technically, this is a 14+ year old design. It was used in Lumina's for gods sake, I haven't seen a Lumina in at least 5 years.

BTW, almost a year and no venting issues.

I think I'll pick one up in the next week or two. The :princess: is headed to the Dirty D (enver) in the middle of June while I'm in Seattle. She'll definitely let me know if there are any issues, as she always does...

BTW, she is getting a new TDI Jetta Sportwagen later this summer, so the Cruiser is going to become my official hobby/adventure/hunting/camping rig!

Do keep us posted. There is zero reason a POS Pontiac CC should make any difference over the OEM unless the OEM CC has a design flaw.

Time for 40's on the 80 :D?

Do keep us posted. There is zero reason a POS Pontiac CC should make any difference over the OEM unless the OEM CC has a design flaw.

Time for 40's on the 80 :D?

I don't think the OEM has a design flaw, the freaking charcoal is OLD and lost its ability to absorb! FirsToy replaced the charcoal in the OEM and it's good as new.

I don't think the OEM has a design flaw, the freaking charcoal is OLD and lost its ability to absorb! FirsToy replaced the charcoal in the OEM and it's good as new.

Atoyot1031 replaced his CC last year with OEM. This year he has the fuel vapor problem the new OEM CC.

Now he is trying the GM version from this thread, which is placing magical thinking on the engineering doorstep of 1980's Pontiac :flipoff2:

Any solution similar to this for a 3FE, or are the canisters similar? I've got some fuel smell after driving in heat...

Ordered the VC120 for $35.99 and should have it tomorrow. Was boiling gas over the weekend on our 4X4 run just as I have boiled it over the past 2 summers without fail. Will do the same run next month and report results here and in the old boiling gas thread as well.

Sweet write up and find. I am purchasing one today! Thanks

well i swapped to this vc120 canister in feb (after high cap pressure but no fuel smell on fun runs), went and did death valley (it was cold) no probs. then had half a tank on a slow crawl trail for an hour last month about gassed me out of the cab... now i have fuel smell everytime i stop (even city and street). and it is significant. usually noticeable in the cab... it has been HOT lately (~100 in town) and i go 2k up and down to town and home... shrug. not the killer solution i was hoping for, at least not for me... :bang:

well i swapped to this vc120 canister in feb (after high cap pressure but no fuel smell on fun runs), went and did death valley (it was cold) no probs. then had half a tank on a slow crawl trail for an hour last month about gassed me out of the cab... now i have fuel smell everytime i stop (even city and street). and it is significant. usually noticeable in the cab... it has been HOT lately (~100 in town) and i go 2k up and down to town and home... shrug. not the killer solution i was hoping for, at least not for me... :bang:

Sadly this is no surprise - it's not the CC.

I think the only thing we can do is keep up the cooling system to max capability - clutch fan, radiator, etc. to deal with the fuel mixture problems.

Also, be sure to double check for any cracks in the "tank" hose going into the CC. Since the barb is larger on the new CC, it's possible that the aging rubber hose is cracked which will could add to the fuel smell.

Also, be sure to double check for any cracks in the "tank" hose going into the CC. Since the barb is larger on the new CC, it's possible that the aging rubber hose is cracked which will could add to the fuel smell.

could be, i'll check. but i had no fuel smell for the first 4mos of life and had plenty of trips in that time... i don't recall thinking the hoses looked flaky when i switched. :meh:

i may just put back on my oem canister since i have the same pressure problem with no smell... i blame fuel mixture and HEAT! for the moment.

Couldn't you just Use new fuel line and hose clamps to replace th flakey lines?

I ask because mine are the same way.

Also, oxygenated fuel in this heat is probably not playing well in the fumes dept.

I did a six hour drive to south NM today for work and I'm getting serious vapor smell with the original OEM canister. The water temps didn't fall below 204 deg all day today!

Can we get an update? Is this new CC working for those who have implemented it? It is sure as hell hot now!

The OEM 80 canister is a much better design than the GM canister.
Notably: the all-metal construction, all-metal valves, extended snorkel breather tube.

Hopefully, everyone is also changing their old hoses along with the canisters. That will eliminate vapor and pressure leaks.

IMO, If a new OEM canister is not working, the CC is not the problem and you should look at other parts of the emissions system.

The GM canister is cheap and open design (street car). It may work by masking the problem elsewhere because it is not as good doing it's job or because the charcoal is new.
jmo

My modified 80 one works fine. The GM one also still works fine.

great mod

I just got back from a 700 mile trip in 100+ temps and there was no gas smell or pressure in the fuel tank when removing the gas cap.

Very happy with the replacement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom