Camping - sleeping in tent or in rig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm starting from scratch with buying camping equipment. I'm curious how many of you sleep in your rig as opposed to in a tent? We're not big people and we can fit in the back with the seats folded all the way forward, but that also means we'd need to find a place to put all of our other stuff during the night.

I guess the best way to really figure it out is to start with bare minimum basic equipment and do some overnights to figure out what we really need.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some thoughts from experienced campers regarding the "essential" items.

Always in my truck. I have a platform so all of my gear stows beneath the platform. I have another friend who sleeps on the bottom, but has a platform above the back portion where his feet are so his gear stows above him.
Then one other friend who removes everything each night so he can sleep inside.

I like mine best, but I'm on my third truck setting it up like that, so I'm biased.

Go exploring and see what floats your boat. 1 tip, go mattress topper (4"-6" thick) and not air mattress for sleeping inside.

I do both depending on the circumstances. I typically sleep in my truck, since that saves me from setting up my tent. However, if it's a nice campsite, I'll break out the tent. I've even slept in my hammock on a couple trips.

I've got a drawer setup in my truck that I use as a sleeping platform. It's taken a while to get my setup just how I like it.

IMG_20151107_165725.jpg

I've seen the window socks for mosquito netting, but has anyone tried this magnet version:

Skeeter Beeter

They have a custom size for LCs and look like a good solution, though a bit more expensive.

Why go with something more expensive?

The window socks are fantastic. Plenty of guys have them, and will tell you the same thing.

Note - I don't work for Phil, and I didn't get my window screens from him.

I'd get the window socks, but last time I checked Phil was out of stock and I haven't seen any on Amazon that fit.

Thanks for the reminder about Phil though, I messaged him.

Last edited:
For one person sleeping in the rig is fine. For more than one get a tent. We (my wife and myself) cannot sleep comfortably in the back of our 80. She is 5'4" I am 5'10". I am now looking at teardrop trailers. :meh:

Depending on frequency and how many people either works. Sleeping in the truck is good for one, tight for two. Buy a tent and try it out. Sleeping pads and a nice bag make a huge difference. Once you camp with some of us a few time you will see every option and get a lot of feedback.

Tight for two??
I must be spoiled by my cruiser vs my 4runner. I'm 5'11" and about 170 and my wife is 5'8" and god knows what weight I don't dare ask and we think the bed is more comfy than our king bed at home. Yes, smaller, but in no way too small. I could fit a small dog on there with us.
Also, on the window nets I went with these.
http://www.amazon.com/Luxury-Sunsha...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Tight for two??
I must be spoiled by my cruiser vs my 4runner. I'm 5'11" and about 170 and my wife is 5'8" and god knows what weight I don't dare ask and we think the bed is more comfy than our king bed at home. Yes, smaller, but in no way too small. I could fit a small dog on there with us.
Also, on the window nets I went with these.
http://www.amazon.com/Luxury-Sunsha...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I looked at those but the measurements didn't match up. If you're saying they fit then I might go ahead and get some. The price is right and could tide me over until Phil gets his latest version ready to go.

Go with the window socks that Phil sells. Good value for the money.

I very much prefer sleeping in the back of the rig. A tent would have to go on the roof, and that adds a lot of weight I'd rather avoid. Plus, the cabin is better insulated, and there's no setup required. I have a rear slide-out toolbox that's the same height as the rear seats when folded down, so I can set up bedding on that half of the cab and store things on the other half in the spare where the dside rear seat was. In a few months I'll be CNC cutting a new lower-profile (but larger volume) storage system and getting rid of the other rear seat, so I can have much more sleeping space.

Yeah, if my wife is with me, which is a rare occurrence, we sleep in a tent. It would be pretty tight quarters for two people with my setup.

It's good to try a few different setups. See what works best for you. Come on a trip and take a look at everyone else's setups to get some ideas.

I was big one traveling lite and quick and sleeping in my rig for a long time. But it really wasn't a time or energy saver. With a quick set tent, I can set up and break camp much more quickly.

Agreed, reshuffling all my stuff takes time.

Growing up dad and I would throw a tarp on the ground and our bags on top of that. Had a "solar blanket" which at times would trap the moisture in and wake up with a thin sheet of ice on the bag. :confused:

Maybe thats why I like the cot, can fold back the flaps and sleep under the stars. unless its raining I like being outside.

we don't like sleeping in the truck(s) - too stuffy

WhitePocket copy.JPG

it snowed on us some more that night :eek:

Agreed, reshuffling all my stuff takes time.

No reshuffling here. All my gear is in the drawers or secured. Setup time for me is how long it takes to fill up the Exped :pompous:

It seems to be there is a lot of love for both options. You could get sleeping pads or a mattress and if it doesn't work get a tent and move the mattress there.

As far as bare minimum camping gear goes I think that a sleeping setup, a small camp stove, and a mess kit are the most basic essentials needed. After that everything else are comfort and luxury items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom