Montana / Wyoming / Idaho Camping Ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, kind of like the title suggests. I'm taking two weeks off from work and am going to be doing a fairly fast paced roadtrip from Phoenix to Glacier National Park, MT & back next month.

I was just wondering if anyone had any leads or experience with disperesed / free campsites and places worth exploring anywhere near Grand Teton NP & Yellowstone NP in Wyoming, Glacier NP in MT, and/or anywhere in Idaho. I'm not opposed to paid sites but it seems like a lot of the highly rated ones require reservations and are all filled up already.

I'll be going solo in the 80! Thank you in advance to any insight.

Coming back..

A thread I started.. some good info there

Hey everyone, kind of like the title suggests. I'm taking two weeks off from work and am going to be doing a fairly fast paced roadtrip from Phoenix to Glacier National Park, MT & back next month.

I was just wondering if anyone had any leads or experience with disperesed / free campsites and places worth exploring anywhere near Grand Teton NP & Yellowstone NP in Wyoming, Glacier NP in MT, and/or anywhere in Idaho. I'm not opposed to paid sites but it seems like a lot of the highly rated ones require reservations and are all filled up already.

I'll be going solo in the 80! Thank you in advance to any insight.

There is some NF camping a bit southwest of west yellowstone, about as close as you can get. I always camp near the west fork of the madison river when visiting yellowstone. Its a little over an hour from the west entrance, but I know a great spot that is 5 mins from the highway and right on the river. PM me if you want details. Beaver creek campground at earthquake lake is pretty nice and rarely ever full. Do not reserve a spot there, as all of the reservation spots are terrible.

Up in the glacier area, there are a few roads I know of in east glacier that are not tribal land and close to the cool stuff.

What route are you taking to/from? I have a few suggestions for a much nicer drive than taking the interstate.

Coming back..

A thread I started.. some good info there

Thank you!

There is some NF camping a bit southwest of west yellowstone, about as close as you can get. I always camp near the west fork of the madison river when visiting yellowstone. Its a little over an hour from the west entrance, but I know a great spot that is 5 mins from the highway and right on the river. PM me if you want details. Beaver creek campground at earthquake lake is pretty nice and rarely ever full. Do not reserve a spot there, as all of the reservation spots are terrible.

Up in the glacier area, there are a few roads I know of in east glacier that are not tribal land and close to the cool stuff.

What route are you taking to/from? I have a few suggestions for a much nicer drive than taking the interstate.
Perfect! I will PM you, thanks!

You need a month or more! :lol:
I am not a fan of Yellowstone just because there are SO many people. If you are in the Cody area, and looking for an awesome drive North, Beartooth highway
is a must, there is some remote camping on the other side before you get to Red Lodge.
We always go though Moab, then Craig-Meeker Co, up to Rawlins and north from there.
Second option was Kanab Ut north on the 89 to SLC then Idaho Falls to Jackson Wy then through Dubois (Wind river). then north.

You need a month or more! :lol:
I am not a fan of Yellowstone just because there are SO many people. If you are in the Cody area, and looking for an awesome drive North, Beartooth highway
is a must, there is some remote camping on the other side before you get to Red Lodge.
We always go though Moab, then Craig-Meeker Co, up to Rawlins and north from there.
Second option was Kanab Ut north on the 89 to SLC then Idaho Falls to Jackson Wy then through Dubois (Wind river). then north.
Thanks for the tips! I'll look into them. I'll likely be heading through Moab to SLC en route to Jackson Hole

you know as far as scenery and landscape you really can't beat that whole area. There is a ton of dispersed camping in that area. Drop a pin in a map and have fun

Spot the animal….

you know as far as scenery and landscape you really can't beat that whole area. There is a ton of dispersed camping in that area. Drop a pin in a map and have fun
Exactly and we didn't push it last time, never got out of southern Utah.;)

I have completed a similar trip a couple of times (2021). I wanted to get to Glacier as fast as possible, did most of the trip up to Idaho Falls in one day. Woke up and made it Coram, MT the next.

Flag to Salt Lake to Idaho Falls and decided to go through Missoula because I wanted to see Kalispell Lake. Camped outside of Idaho Falls and made it to Coram the next day.

When in Glacier you'll probably stay in Coram. Spend a day river rafting on MiddleFork Flathead River (amazing). Next day came back down through Clearwater and over to Bozeman. Camped about 20 miles N. of Yellowstone.

Always drive early morning through Yellowstone (5am-ish), You'll see lot's of animals at that time (bear, pronghorn, wolf, moose, etc.). In Yellowstone you must go clockwise to avoid traffic--heading east along the Wy and MT border--you'll see tons of animals and then south towards Devils Den and Yellowstone lake.

From there I head straight down to the Tetons, make a couple stops, cruise down further to camp outside of Jackson Hole. From here I went down to Bear Lake in Utah and stayed on the 89 to the 30 to the 16 to 39 and went over Monte Cristo towards Ogden. Beautiful drive! Then from there to Provo or Park City. Then home to Chandler. Old Faithful is not really worth the traffic or the visit, IMHO.

Feel free to PM me.

Zona

I have completed a similar trip a couple of times (2021). I wanted to get to Glacier as fast as possible, did most of the trip up to Idaho Falls in one day. Woke up and made it Coram, MT the next.

Flag to Salt Lake to Idaho Falls and decided to go through Missoula because I wanted to see Kalispell Lake. Camped outside of Idaho Falls and made it to Coram the next day.

When in Glacier you'll probably stay in Coram. Spend a day river rafting on MiddleFork Flathead River (amazing). Next day came back down through Clearwater and over to Bozeman. Camped about 20 miles N. of Yellowstone.

Always drive early morning through Yellowstone (5am-ish), You'll see lot's of animals at that time (bear, pronghorn, wolf, moose, etc.). In Yellowstone you must go clockwise to avoid traffic--heading east along the Wy and MT border--you'll see tons of animals and then south towards Devils Den and Yellowstone lake.

From there I head straight down to the Tetons, make a couple stops, cruise down further to camp outside of Jackson Hole. From here I went down to Bear Lake in Utah and stayed on the 89 to the 30 to the 16 to 39 and went over Monte Cristo towards Ogden. Beautiful drive! Then from there to Provo or Park City. Then home to Chandler. Old Faithful is not really worth the traffic or the visit, IMHO.

Feel free to PM me.

Zona
Thank you for these tips! I'll probably shoot you a PM sometime soon, sorry for the later reply, working nights.

Well, had a situation at home and had to return 4 days earlier than planned. Glacier NP is closed off unless you have reservations anyways so I just have all the more reason to return next year (hopefully for three weeks?)

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the recommendations, I'm glad I listened! I'll post some pictures in the "What did you do this week?" Thread!

Well, had a situation at home and had to return 4 days earlier than planned. Glacier NP is closed off unless you have reservations anyways so I just have all the more reason to return next year (hopefully for three weeks?)

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the recommendations, I'm glad I listened! I'll post some pictures in the "What did you do this week?" Thread!

What’s the closed off thing ??? I haven’t seen anything. I’m headed there in 3 weeks

What’s the closed off thing ??? I haven’t seen anything. I’m headed there in 3 weeks
Apparently, entry to GNP requires a vehicle reservation now. Also, any highlights such as Going to the Sun road need a separate reservation ON TOP of the vehicle reservation.

The only work around is, at certain entrances, you can get in before 6:00am or after 3pm. But only at entrances that don't have areas requiring reservations for things

Apparently, entry to GNP requires a vehicle reservation now. Also, any highlights such as Going to the Sun road need a separate reservation ON TOP of the vehicle reservation.

The only work around is, at certain entrances, you can get in before 6:00am or after 3pm. But only at entrances that don't have areas requiring reservations for things

Ohh ok. I knew about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom