Biggest turnoff with a used FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great new paint job with no build thread.

It's hard to fathom frame rot from over here, but I certainly wouldn't buy any.

Rust I've seen and seen fixed well, so it's not that big of a deal.

Aluminum tub on a nicely done driver or a wheeler is not bad.

SOA on a wheeler is a good thing, so there are different turn-offs for different requirements. It's easy to say when you have one of each.

Any engine but an F/2F.
Rust/diamond plate can be fixed.

Bedliner, cut dash, engine conversion esp. with no build documents., fiberglass. MIke

Body Rot, fiberglass parts, hacked wiring, broken off bolts, PVC roll-bar(I actually saw one! It was painted silver).

a PVC roll bar?????? I can't even fathom why someone would do such a thing!!

Holes drilled where nothing goes, wiring that goes nowhere, front brake lines crimped, 100Lbs of bondo just a few.

Rob

I'm with Cjgoode frame rot is "no way" ...it's normally not just one lil spot...if the frame rot is that bad that you can see it....the places you cant see are probably much worse

1) SBC
2) Aluminum tubs
3) Diamond plate holding the rusty remnants together
4) Sellers who think its still worth $22k ten years after a ****py quick spray

These for sure, and I'd add bedliner, and POR

My list is very short...if it wasn't on the 40 when it was made, I don't want it.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate nicely built rigs, as I do, but I am a purist at heart, so hard to see me own anything that is not original.

Oh, my biggest pet peeve...people who do not know what the word RESTORATION means....

I would say first and foremost is paying too much. If it's junk and you paid for junk any of the issues raised above are clear at the beginning and you got what you paid for. Even with frame rot you bought it for some spare parts or the biggest project you ever tackled. Paying good money and finding out you bought junk is a shame on me shame on you situation that would be the biggest longest lasting turnoff to me.

FJ62sasquatch said:
a PVC roll bar?????? I can't even fathom why someone would do such a thing!!

I think they call that a "show" bar.

Booger welds and poor engineering by the PO. Everyone has an idea of what their perfect cruiser should be, but some people should not be allowed to touch any tools!!! The last 2 40's I bought were in decent shape but were death traps to drive.

Guess I won't call you when I'm ready to sell mine... ;)

As mentioned here by others, to each his own. Personal preference/ circumstances. The important thing is that YOU like it and enjoy it.

I'll edit #1 on my list to say... 1) Any engine not a Toyota diesel :D

A $1,000 rig with $2,000 worth of poorly installed thumpin' stereo junk.

Hack Jobs.

I've looked at a number of 40s for sale with 350 conversions... Every one was a hack job.

Not saying they can't be done well... Just those for sale generally aren't well done.

Chances are the axle was cut and turned, steering linkage changed. Putting it above would likely have huge caster problems and make for a driving nightmare.

Not to mention driveshafts, shocks, and shock mounts.

Generally speaking, the better done work isn't for sale... Mostly hack jobs...:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom