Best Paint for Aluminum Rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will be refinishing some aluminum rims and need advice and or opinions from those with more knowledge than me on what paint (not going the powder coat route) is best for the rims.

The product will be a spray can...

Self Etching primer for stripped rims? VHT, Dupli-Color, Rustoleum, SEM?
Or is there really no difference? Other than SEM is twice as expensive...

Best wheel paint? I have been going back and forth trying to decide on VHT, Dupli-Color, Restoleum, etc...

Last question, can I top coat right over self etching primer or should I use a regular non sanding primer between them? I believe I can top coat right over it but want to make sure.

I always use SEM. Though the price is higher, I have not had it fail. As for the color coat, the Rustoleum is good, but just about anything you get out of a spray can will have to be redone periodically to maintain a nice finish. Simple enough though. Scuff, spray. Atleast if you use a good etch primer, then refinishing the color coat when it wear down will not be a big deal.

I ended up going with Dupli-Color self etching primer and VHT Satin Black and clear coat. I also bought some 3M stripping/scuffing pads. One "Moderate Stripping" for the initial scuffing followed up by "Between Coats" scuffing pad.

Can't wait to see pics! I am looking to do mine soon! They look AWFULL!

DSC01679.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom