Bernalillo County Emissions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I installed an AEM wideband on mine. I have adjusted the AFM so that mine idles at 14.7 AFR. I fixed all vacuum leaks as well as exhaust leaks. I usually go for a long drive like 45 min to get the cats really hot so they work better. Out of habit I did use one of these CRC guaranteed to pass treatments the tank before I did the test.

Toyomasters is a good honest shop. Always been really straight with me.

I installed an AEM wideband on mine. I have adjusted the AFM so that mine idles at 14.7 AFR. I fixed all vacuum leaks as well as exhaust leaks. I usually go for a long drive like 45 min to get the cats really hot so they work better. Out of habit I did use one of these CRC guaranteed to pass treatments the tank before I did the test.
What’s an AEM wide band?

The tech was prompted to rev it for 90 seconds several times. The engine has only been running less than 10 minutes before the test. So maybe I hit it all. Brandon is sending the PAIR up with family on Friday, so I’ll reinstall this weekend, use the CRC cleaner, and take a longish drive prior to the test on Monday and we’ll see what happens.

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:
Totally unrelated to emissions, but when I took my 2000 LX470 in and he did a visual under the hood, he told me the bad hood struts were an automatic fail for safety of the emissions tech. Thankfully he just warned me of that and didn't fail me. Good luck with yours.
That's ridiculous.

Thanks! I’ll keep you posted. I think @banjo1981 still has one as well but it’s in Ruidoso. I’m not sure if it’s best to pay them another $15 for reinspection with it installed or take it to a shop for diagnosis as it could be a few things based on some reading this evening.

FYI from here Vehicle Emissions Testing - https://www.cabq.gov/airquality/vehicle-emissions-testing

VPMD Headquarters and Failed Emissions Test Resource Center​

VPMD offers one free retest for vehicles that do not pass an emissions test within 90 days of the failed test date. Bring your failed test and vehicle to VPMD Headquarters for a free retest. Email vpm@cabq.gov or call 505-764-1110 for questions.

Failed again. Pass HC at high RPM. CO came way down but still failed. HC at low rpm failed, but came way down and same story for CO. Looks like I’m taking it to the shop unless anyone has any other ideas.

That stinks. Glad it helped but something else must be causing it to be high. I’m thinking vacuum leak somewhere. Maybe have the shop smoke test it. Remind me how pliable the intake tube is on it? I can’t remember when I looked at it. A tiny crack on the little accordions on it would lean it a little

Ah, just throw some out-of-state plates on your ride, and call it good...

Ah, just throw some out-of-state plates on your ride, and call it good...
Best if you steal them from a passing through tourist's vehicle.

I’m still not sure what’s going on. I pulled the VAFM today and ran through diagnostics. It seems to be functioning within spec from the FSM. I didn’t get any weird resistances between terminals that were out of spec. Looking for a shop or mechanic that can figure out what’s really going on with the high emissions. The truck runs really well so it’s not anything really obvious to me.

I’m still not sure what’s going on. I pulled the VAFM today and ran through diagnostics. It seems to be functioning within spec from the FSM. I didn’t get any weird resistances between terminals that were out of spec. Looking for a shop or mechanic that can figure out what’s really going on with the high emissions. The truck runs really well so it’s not anything really obvious to me.
It used to be if you took it the county station downtown for your free retest and you failed again after showing that you had spent some money to try to fix it, they would give you 1 year to get it fixed completely. I wasn't sure if you knew about this or if it's even still a rule.

It used to be if you took it the county station downtown for your free retest and you failed again after showing that you had spent some money to try to fix it, they would give you 1 year to get it fixed completely. I wasn't sure if you knew about this or if it's even still a rule.
They still offer a 1 year extension, but it requires a quote with repair cost greater than $300. The shop I took it to said the AFM was bad but wouldn’t offer a quote to repair since the part is discontinued. I tested the AFM and don’t see any issue. I called the shop to ask what they meant by bad, and didn’t get a clear answer beyond ‘bad’. At this point, it’s beyond what I can diagnose so I’m looking for recommendations on a mechanic to take this to. I’ve called several places to be told they don’t work on vehicles this old. I left a message with Adam at Performance since they only work in Lexus and Toyota. I called Toyotamasters and was told they are scheduling a month out.

They still offer a 1 year extension, but it requires a quote with repair cost greater than $300. The shop I took it to said the AFM was bad but wouldn’t offer a quote to repair since the part is discontinued. I tested the AFM and don’t see any issue. I called the shop to ask what they meant by bad, and didn’t get a clear answer beyond ‘bad’. At this point, it’s beyond what I can diagnose so I’m looking for recommendations on a mechanic to take this to. I’ve called several places to be told they don’t work on vehicles this old. I left a message with Adam at Performance since they only work in Lexus and Toyota. I called Toyotamasters and was told they are scheduling a month out.
Bummer. Toyotamasters needs a greenhorn for Chris to pass all is 80's/90's knowledge on to before he retires.
Try ABQ Quality Auto 505-433-2448 on lomas and arno... not a toyota shop (Honda), but its a smaller shop, they might work with you to get a quote to satisfy the county **EDIT** or may actually be able to identify the AFM issue, they've got a lot of pre-OBDII import knowledge
Or Hometown Auto on Menaul and roughly Pennsylvania 505-298-5404... Again not a Toyota shop but they've helped me with some oddball stuff in the past and might work with you on a quote.

Totally unrelated to emissions, but when I took my 2000 LX470 in and he did a visual under the hood, he told me the bad hood struts were an automatic fail for safety of the emissions tech. Thankfully he just warned me of that and didn't fail me. Good luck with yours.
I found a good vendor on Amazon and replaced hood struts and lift gate struts at the same time. I was getting tired of the lift gate creeping back down on me in the cold weather.

I have always heard fresh oil and plugs will help, I don't know if that will do you any good...

I do have my stock pair system if you want to try to install it and see if that gets it to pass.
Is this the in-line pair? I've got a new muffler on my 1997, but I'm leaking exhaust somewhere on the y-pipe/front cat. Looking to just replace both cats and move forward!

Is this the in-line pair? I've got a new muffler on my 1997, but I'm leaking exhaust somewhere on the y-pipe/front cat. Looking to just replace both cats and move forward!
He’s referring to the smog system that comes off of the air filter housing and pumps fresh air into the exhaust manifolds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom