Baby Hauler Crawler - DD Project Begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm new around here, and excited to get started with my project truck. We bought this rig a few months ago and I'm finally getting around to getting some stuff done with it. What I'm starting with here is a '93 FZJ80 w/lockers and 163k miles on the ticker, 100% stock.

Here's how it looked the day we brought it home. The PO had rearended someone and the bumper is new, you can see all the SS bolt heads he used. I had the bumper and caps painted to match the rear bumper right away and there was a lot of maintenance to catch up on, but that was about all I did until now.

IMG_20110205_095724.jpg

I had been looking around for some aftermarket wheels for the Cruiser for once I got it lifted, but I just couldn't find anything that looked right to me. They either looked like they belonged on a mall crawler show truck, or a wheeling. I wanted to compliment the cruisers clean look while adding a bit of style to it. Then I found some stock FJ Cruiser wheels on craigslist and knew I had to have them. The only downside is that they are a different offset, so I am running 1.25" wheel spacers on each corner in order to keep the stance looking right. I think these wheels added a lot to the look of the rig, and this was enough to keep me happy with the rig for a short while.

Stock17s.jpg

Then, last week I finally got my OME kit from 4Wheel parts. I got the 3" J springs front and rear because this rig will be seeing some sweet and heavy equipment front and rear. I also added my own 1" spacer to the front to fix the stink bug look that we all know about. This was easier then I thought to do. I removed the bump stop from the coil bucket, cut a 1" spacer out of HDPE, bolted it in between with longer bolts, and threw it all back together. I also installed the OME caster correction bushings and their steering stabilizer. I'm hoping that the CC bushings are enough with the added spacer up front, and it feels good on the highway right now. I'm not quite back to factory caster, but it feels fine to me for the time being. The little lady drives it daily and she has no complaints, so we're all good.

OMELift17s.jpg

And finally, yesterday, we got new rubber for it. America's Tire took a little while to get these in, but it was worth the wait, 37x12.5 BF AT's. The munchkins agree. Right now it still has stock gears, so it's slow as all hell. I'm waiting in line to get new R&P's installed, I'll be going with 4:88's to keep the overall drive ratio as close to stock as possible. I'm particular about the shops that work on my rigs, so I'm waiting patiently for Leonard's Off-Road to fit me in, should be a couple weeks or so. If you're in the Portland, OR area and need drive train work done, look him up. He's a one man show with good prices and the best quality around. I've been using him for 10 years and have never had a single problem.

IMAG0076-1.jpg
-
IMAG0075-1.jpg

So, that's it for now. Hopefully more to come very soon. I'm a Millwright and fabricator by trade and will be building sliders, bumpers and a roof rack myself when I get the time. Looking to get the sliders going first, probably Thanksgiving weekend. Probably going to go with a profile about like one of these:

IMAG0004-1.jpg

Bumpers will come after that, starting with the rear, which will include a tire carrier. After a few sketches, I'm planning on it looking something like this:

IMAG0006-1.jpg

The front will house a winch, not sure which one yet though. It will also hold a couple 8" HID lights and a couple 4" fog lights will be inset in the bumper. Still working on rough drawings, but here's where i'm at now.

IMAG0005-1.jpg

As long as I don't get too busy with work, I should be able to get a good amount done before Christmas. I'm really excited to get going and share my progress with everybody here. I'll be using everybody else's projects for my inspiration and motivation. Thanks everyone!

Greetings

Looking good...should be fun to watch as it plays out. Good luck!

Welcome!!! Looking forward to seeing how the bumpers turn out.

Brian

Looking good! I would really recommend going with 5.29 gears instead of 4.88's. Once you factor in the heavier tire and all the "sweet and heavy equipment front and rear", you will be much happier with the lower gears IMO. My rig is set up pretty light with 37's and 5.29's and I have no complaints at all. Even when hwy cruising.

Congrats and Welcome:flipoff2: Have your VISA closer and don"t forget to clean your coach, you might use it soon:cheers:

Looking good! I would really recommend going with 5.29 gears instead of 4.88's. Once you factor in the heavier tire and all the "sweet and heavy equipment front and rear", you will be much happier with the lower gears IMO. My rig is set up pretty light with 37's and 5.29's and I have no complaints at all. Even when hwy cruising.

Don't listen to this nut job.... even if he is right :flipoff2:

What kind of a roof top tent is that?:hillbilly: Welcome to mud. All kidding aside, it is a tremendous resource that will both save and spend your money simultaneously.
rtt.JPG

What kind of a roof top tent is that?:hillbilly: Welcome to mud. All kidding aside, it is a tremendous resource that will both save and spend your money simultaneously.

You're a west coast guy, Freddies duh. ;p

You're a west coast guy, Freddies duh. ;p

I didn't know they made tents, I thought it was some kinda sweet expo sponsor sticker or something like that. To keep this tech, I would love to hear a report about the driveability of this truck with stock gears and 37's. The only time I have seen it done on another 80 was one that a kid was trying to get rid off because it had a broken front axle that he didn't want to fix. I'm sure the two things were related.

Looks like a clean cruiser. I am a big fan of the white paint. Can't wait to see those bumpers.

Thanks for the kind words guys, hopefully I can get this going quickly. I finally got some time off work, don't have to go back until next Monday, so it's time to start bending some sliders. For now though, I got the Depo clear lights installed on all corners and I really like the look of them. I think I will wire the marker light into a blinker later on.

IMAG0061-1.jpg

For those interested in how this rig drives with 37's and 4.10's, it's not great but it's bearable for now. Obviously it's slower, but it's hardly noticeable around town. It is very sluggish when trying to accelerate on the highway though. Just as I had calculated, the speedo is 14% off. I will check the fuel mileage after this next tank, I was getting about 13-14 mpg previously, so we'll see how that gets affected. I haven't been off road with it yet, but I imagine it wouldn't be too great in tight situations. I will be heading out on a snow run this weekend, so we'll see.

Makes my 4Runner on 33's look like a kids toy. It's okay though, my other project is '93 4Runner with a 3.4, FJ80 axles and 42's, but it's on the back burner until the Cruiser is done. It's got a long ways to go.

IMAG0069-1.jpg

Here's a side shot showing the tire coverage with these wheels. So, these are 12.5 tires, mounted on 17x7.5 FJ Cruiser wheels with 1.25" wheels spacers at each corner. The flare covers the tread perfectly, and only the sidewall bulge is protruding past. I really like this clean look, plus it helps keep the rocker panels clean. I'm also really liking the 12.5 tire on the 7.5" wheel, keeps them from looking too wide.

IMAG0071-1.jpg

Well, progress has been slow, ya know how it goes. I was sick one day, then we had to do two Thanksgiving diners (one at our house), then Christmas decorations and such.

Anyway, I got some work done on the passenger side, it's almost done. Never mind the garage, I know it's a mess.

IMAG0085.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm going to incorporate any cat protection or not, mostly because I was thinking about just moving the cats. Maybe move everything back inside the frame and use two inline cats. I guess I'll see what I can come up with.

Looking great. :D

I really like what you are doing with the rig!

Subscribed.

Doug

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/JTNiggle/4WD/IMAG0085.jpg

I'm assuming you have your own tools, so if you don't mind sharing... what (pipe bender, pipe notcher & plasma cutter) do you use? You may not actually use a plasma cutter. I'm thinking of building my own stuff and later for others in Honduras when I move.

Anyway, looking for suggestions of some good equipment to use...that's about the only tools I don't own. Thanks in advance. ~Daniel

nice looking cruiser!!! you will definitely enjoy it. im getting 215 miles per tank on 37s and stock gears.

i started linking my 97 runner last week. 3.4, auto. stock dual cases left over from my crawler, 80 axles, and 37s for now but building for 40s-42s. its a "mini cruiser" for the tree infested trails in my area. my poor cruiser has taken a lot of unnecessary damage due to its size and i'd rather trash a runner, not my cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom