Apple CarPlay Upgrade for 2016 Land Cruiser VX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys!. I live in Nicaragua.
I have been reading a lot on this subject. I have found many companies in Australia that sell a kit. Some have so-so reputation when shipping to the USA.

The only one I've seen in the US is Beat Sonic. In my opinion, they all are pretty pricey.

What I would like is for someone to share their experiences with these types of upgrade, and let me know what has worked well for them.

Thanks guys!

Im in the middle of this in my LX and it seems that since I last posted on this subject, and since my order last year, a couple devices have switched to not using AUX input for audio and have revised some hardware and harnesses.

Im going to be returning my unit and probably eventually go beat sonic since it seems to meet my criteria;

1) it uses BT override now like mentioned for audio and calls
2) it supports AC control overlays
3) has maybe an hdmi and usb optional input for potential future use

Drawbacks of the beat sonic is that it is now 2 boxes and there is not much room to house anything in a good place really. Also price...

Last edited:

Are you saying yours does NOT influence OEM controls behind CarPlay?

Im the crazy of the forum and there just no way in hell I'll ever be okay with that.

If the joystick boundary clicking is normal that's already a huge concession on my end.

Just spoke at length to Grom V2 not only is it developed in house, their staff actually know what they are talking about.

Will update in a couple days...

Grom is a single box solution with actual CarPlay audio.

Just spoke at length to Grom V2 not only is it developed in house, their staff actually know what they are talking about.

Will update in a couple days...

Grom is a single box solution with actual CarPlay audio.
My personal experience with the Grom in my GX was that it is amazing 90% of the time and I wanted to rip it out of the glovebox and throw it out the window the other 10. I got to the point where I never wanted to update it because most if the time it completely wrecked the device for several weeks while I tried to figure out the problem. Most of the time that was just reinstalling the current or previous firmware 4 or 5 times. I was also never happy with their support and actually had one of their agents jump into a conversation I was having in a FB group and argue with me about his opinion of how good of a job he did.
All of that being said, the reason it was so infuriating when it didn't work was because it was an incredible upgrade and basically invisible when it did. I still can't decide if I want to get another one or not.

Are you saying yours does NOT influence OEM controls behind CarPlay?

Im the crazy of the forum and there just no way in hell I'll ever be okay with that.

If the joystick boundary clicking is normal that's already a huge concession on my end.
Mine is working fine. No interference with OEM controls that I've noticed. It's been a while now and it's still working great.

I use BeatSonic as well, installed it myself one Sunday afternoon and find it totally worth the price. Audio and everything works well, also the factory GPS still works whereas I heard some other solutions render the stock GPS non-functional.

So quick update for everyone.

I installed and removed the set that is identical to the one being discussed here, and not sure how anyone got it working but the actual support techs, tier 2 technician came back and said it would not work properly and to return it ok…
gladly

Grom vline vl2 was installed and that lasted a day, it has way too many issues.

Truck is back stock until beat sonic arrives.

Kill me

My personal experience with the Grom in my GX was that it is amazing 90% of the time and I wanted to rip it out of the glovebox and throw it out the window the other 10. I got to the point where I never wanted to update it because most if the time it completely wrecked the device for several weeks while I tried to figure out the problem. Most of the time that was just reinstalling the current or previous firmware 4 or 5 times. I was also never happy with their support and actually had one of their agents jump into a conversation I was having in a FB group and argue with me about his opinion of how good of a job he did.
All of that being said, the reason it was so infuriating when it didn't work was because it was an incredible upgrade and basically invisible when it did. I still can't decide if I want to get another one or not.
Completely agree.

I installed and removed the set that is identical to the one being discussed here, and not sure how anyone got it working but the actual support techs, tier 2 technician came back and said it would not work properly and to return it ok…
gladly

Kill me
Man, thank you for trying all the different options for this so I don’t have to. I will say just rocking an iPhone on a MagSafe mount is not that bad compared to the GX470 with a tape adapter. At least I get an audio screen on the stock nav.

Man, thank you for trying all the different options for this so I don’t have to. I will say just rocking an iPhone on a MagSafe mount is not that bad compared to the GX470 with a tape adapter. At least I get an audio screen on the stock nav.

No problem man, I am HIGHLY motivated to make this truck something I can look at with pride lol. Bit of a perfectionist, but if you come for the ride I won’t stop till I’m satisfied, which means it should satisfy 1000% of the gen population.

I will put my list of the 10 grom deal breakers up here once I confirm with their support that there is no secret workarounds.

I was dealing with a burst tankless heater last 3 days over holiday weekend so s*** got really sidetracked.

@NKP Garage you def be tripping bro, I rewatched your vid, you clearly are messing with oem system underneath, you can hear every gong.

+
@nimitz and any other interested party

Do y’all want me to check this “mouse cursor mode” on the cheapy $250 range boxes that can use factory bt for phone and music with CarPlay overlay?

That would mean we all have the best, cheapest, most functional, and highest sound quality SINGLE box devices that are easy to hide and easiest to control with joystick (no boundary click bull****).

It would save each purchaser like $600 if I got this working and shared the proper files and sw upgrade instructions.

There needs to be support because I could be doing all of it for naught.

Also just a quick update apparently beat sonic does not show fan control pop up banner when AC is changed while in CarPlay , according to Eric , but I think he may be confused.

Can someone with the updated, 2 piece beat sonic confirm? I hadn’t ordered because of his reply on this.

but if you come for the ride I won’t stop till I’m satisfied
I'll uh, keep that in mind

Also, I have no idea what boundary clicking refers to. Honestly, I just want something that's easy to install, isn't fiddly and will just work instead of consistently taking a dump on me right before 9 hours in the car.

I'll uh, keep that in mind

Also, I have no idea what boundary clicking refers to. Honestly, I just want something that's easy to install, isn't fiddly and will just work instead of consistently taking a dump on me right before 9 hours in the car.

lol gross

gladly

Kill me
Sorry to hear that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom