Anti-Theft Ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2ndGenToyotaFan

Threads
Website
www.jeffersonstatecruisers.com
I've been on a "small electrical mods" kick lately, but I haven't addressed any anti theft mods yet.

Obviously nothing is going to stop someone that wants to tow your truck off... So my thought is to make it undrivable via a kill switch. I don't want to do a starter or ignition kill switch because they are too easy to bypass.... I was thinking something in the EFI like one of the 2 injector pair wires... that way it would only run on 2, if at all...??? I guess the downside to that is the cold start injector might make it run ok for a few minutes till it kicked off... But maybe that's a good thing? They get the truck, drive it a couple miles then it dies.... But ideally I'd like it to not start, and unless they are way too Toyota savvy, they aren't going to be able to figure it out without a lot of time... Maybe the fuel pump....

Any thoughts on this would be great!

Here's my favorite sneaky trick

Auto Speed DIY Immobiliser

tap it into the fuel pump relay ground wire going to the Vane Airflow, that way it'll start and run for a few seconds before dying - it'll annoy them into finding an easier target

Last edited:
Fuel pump wire under the pass seat. Cut in, install switch, hide switch.

Trunk Monkey :D or in this case,

A "Tesla Monkey" IE: YouTube - taser / coil gun camera
FFU0HM2F03GBBA1.MEDIUM.jpg

*Note in most states this is considered "Excessive Force". I dunno, I'd be the type just as likely to shoot you, so at least this gives you a running chance at it not working at the right moment.
**Keep the wires away from and body/chassis metal, it can also short out your ecu, just as a stray spark plug arc can on HEI systems.

Here's how to put one together..

$5 disposable flash camera, break open the box, save the electronics.

Pick up some 14ga wires, a 3k capacitor, and a 9 volt battery connector and a 9 volt battery.

14mm socket and wrench.

Hog Ring Pliars.

Wire Strippers.

Solder gun.

Hot glue gun.

Remove the flash bulb and the small capacitor from the circuit board.

Place the 3k capacitor where the smaller one was.

Place the battery connector where the aa (*or aaa) battery leads are.

Run a pair of leads, around maybe 25" from the flash bulb terminals.

Pull out your driver's seat and remove your seat cover. Place both leads from the flash bulb part about 2" apart, with the last 1/2" of wire insulation stripped off. Splay the individual wire (threads) out into a half moon/star patters, towards each other and tack them down with some hot glue. *My preference is just a little off center to the right, where your pelvic bone/right butt cheek are.

Now, take some more wire, and tap off of the pressure switch, or if you're lucky you can remove the pressure switch and put it about 5" forward of the exposed flash circuit wires.

Throw your seat cover back on. Tuck the circuit up where it won't get shorted out. You can get fancy and figure out how to make a hidden push-click switch if you like somewhere along the left edging of the seat in the foam somewhere.

Next time some fool inadvertantly tries to take off with your vehicle, he gets a "pleasant shock" at your vehicles abilities.

There's different ways at this, different little tricks and mods you can do, but either way, it's pretty funny.

Doing the math here, wnat is 3k times 9 volts?

Enough to throw an arc across 2-3" of exposed wires.

Here's the 9 volt version; http://www.instructables.com/id/9_volt_secret_taser/ there's different methods out there, one friend used his IPod that was dead, etc-etc. have fun with it and don't hurt yourself, it can stop your heart.

Last edited:
there are crooks out there right now readin this. i know its a good idea for us honsest guys, to share our great ideas, but really this is a bad idea. im sure there are places where thay can get this info, but lets try and stay a few steps ahead.

you should delete this thread. sorry man. just dont want all our secrets out there you know

there are crooks out there right now readin this. i know its a good idea for us honsest guys, to share our great ideas, but really this is a bad idea. im sure there are places where thay can get this info, but lets try and stay a few steps ahead.

you should delete this thread. sorry man. just dont want all our secrets out there you know

The secrets really aren't secret anyway - if someone really wants your truck, there's not much you can do about it, but if it takes too long or or you can make it more difficult there's a good chance they'll move on to an easier target . . . so post up ideas, the more variations out there, the less likely for a thief to be able to remember or or try to disable them all

If it's parked long term outside you house, how about a big 'ole chain through a rim to a thick tree (or light pole)

I had thought of that Wristy. I'm not going to delete this, but I will encourage people to not get too detailed on their own setups. IE, don't tell us where your kill switch is.... I think we need a thread like this with blanket ideas for everyone's use.

NorCal, you're a little sick.... :D

NorCal, you're a little sick.... :D

Thank you. Honestly though, I was putting up what Wristy said just in a different fashion. There's no way I am telling anyone what set-up I am running. There's only two people that know it aside from me, my father and my wife, both people that would need to be able to make it run if something should ever happen where I can't drive it.

To me the ultimate solution revolves around a cost of about $1200-1500/mo for maybe 10 years. It comes with usually 3 bedrooms and a couple of baths, plus a place to wash it..

..it's called a garage.

I think this thread is worth giving thought to. But, I would never, ever, say how I've disabled my trucks online. One needs to be creative. In a nut shell, you need to either disable fuel (injectors, pump, ecu) or spark (ignition switch, coil/ignitor, ecu), or both. How you do that is up to you, but a study of the wire diagrams in the FSM should give you plenty of ideas.

Make it as discrete as possible and for crying out loud don't advertise what you did.

I think this thread is worth giving thought to. But, I would never, ever, say how I've disabled my trucks online. One needs to be creative. In a nut shell, you need to either disable fuel (injectors, pump, ecu) or spark (ignition switch, coil/ignitor, ecu), or both. How you do that is up to you, but a study of the wire diagrams in the FSM should give you plenty of ideas.

Make it as discrete as possible and for crying out loud don't advertise what you did.

right on.
[/thread]

I did a small test today. By unplugging the 2 wire connector that goes to the ignitor on top of the coil, the truck won't start. It will crank, but no go. So depending on how much time a thief has to diagnose a non-start issue, it's a pretty good one. If you leave the plug together but not plugged in it doesn't stick out too much either.

Of course the downside to this is you have to pop the hood...

My old 74 Dart Swingrrrr had a great system...you had to pop the hood, grab a hammer and beat the sh*t out of the starter before it would crank. Anyone got a bad starter and a BFH they want to sell me? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom