Another Solution to white cap seat screw problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a low budget, 5 minute solution to the white cap seat screw problem that is common with these vehicles.

Problem: White nylon cap screw strips and comes out when you run the electric seats back.

What you need: #10 flat cut washer, and a 1 3/8" x 3/8" piece of very light gauge metal. You may be able to take something like a tuna can and cut it to size with some tin snips, but it needs to be light enough gauge that you can work and bend it into shape fairly easily. I used some kind of metal screw retainers I had laying around, sorry don't know what they are called.

What you do: Take a pair of plyers or wire snips and bend the metal into the shape shown in the second picture. Put the #10 flat cut washer over the white cap screw head and then tap the bent metal strip into place like shown in the third picture.

Basically this clamps the white cap screw and holds it firmly into place so you don't have to stick your thumb down there every time you run the seats back and forth. This literally took about five minutes and cost zero dollars.
IMG_2193_2.jpg

Pics two and three
IMG_2194_2.jpg
IMG_2198_2.jpg

Last edited:
This would probably not work with striped white nylon gears inside the housing. Please correct if I am wrong.

This would probably not work with striped white nylon gears inside the housing. Please correct if I am wrong.

You are correct, but this would conceivably prolong their life if they were still good, and just the cap was missing. Cool idea!

this would conceivably prolong their life if they were still good, and just the cap was missing. Cool idea!

Yes, but you still have to have the cap for this fix (can't see it in the picture, but it's in there). The cap holds the drive shaft centered and in the proper position. Basically this fix just holds the cap in firm and keeps it from spinning itself out, as they are prone to do once their threads get to the point they won't hold it on tight anymore.

And thanks.

Unfortunately on mine, the only hint that the cap was missing was that the seat stopped moving because the gears were already stripped.

Unfortunately on mine, the only hint that the cap was missing was that the seat stopped moving because the gears were already stripped.

Hmm..., did you put the cap back in, hold it in position and trying it?

You probably know this, but when the cap pops out, the axle shaft shifts out of position so the gear is not engaged fully and when you try and run it like that, that's how the nylon gear gets stripped. I would think you'd have to try and run the seat quite a bit with the cap out, in order to strip the gear to the point it doesn't work. My caps have been popping out for a while and I've gotten that dreaded grinding sound quite often, but apparently the gears are still fine because as long as the cap is in, she runs like a champ.

Yes, but you still have to have the cap for this fix (can't see it in the picture, but it's in there). The cap holds the drive shaft centered and in the proper position. Basically this fix just holds the cap in firm and keeps it from spinning itself out, as they are prone to do once their threads get to the point they won't hold it on tight anymore.

And thanks.

Ah so! Ok I get it now, sorry I thought you were using a stack of washers or something inside the hole to support the shaft and replace the cap altogether.

Another cheap fix that isn't well published is called "rob parts from the passenger side." It involves leaving that seat unplugged and telling passengers the seat doesn't move. But brings functionality back to the driver. :grinpimp:

Hmm..., did you put the cap back in, hold it in position and trying it?

You probably know this, but when the cap pops out, the axle shaft shifts out of position so the gear is not engaged fully and when you try and run it like that, that's how the nylon gear gets stripped. I would think you'd have to try and run the seat quite a bit with the cap out, in order to strip the gear to the point it doesn't work. My caps have been popping out for a while and I've gotten that dreaded grinding sound quite often, but apparently the gears are still fine because as long as the cap is in, she runs like a champ.

The cap had gone missing and didn't turn up until after I'd replaced the part, but I did hold the axle in place with my finger, which didn't help. Once the seat stopped moving with the motor still turning, I stopped trying to make it move, but the gear stripped just the same. It seems that, in my case anyway, the gear stripped on its way out of alignment.

I don't mean to diminish what you've done here, because you have a great solution if the gear is still intact. I just wish mine would have held together long enough for me to try something other than calling beno is all. :D

I don't mean to diminish what you've done here, because you have a great solution if the gear is still intact. I just wish mine would have held together long enough for me to try something other than calling beno is all. :D

D'oh, so you bought the whole new assembly? You know Nakman reproduced and sells the nylon gears (and caps for that matter), right?

Ouch..., I bet that left a mark. At least you got 25% off! :D.

great thread. swaped ps to ds and worked.
now i'm sure that i only need the cap replaced and no other parts.
Thanks!

FWIW, mine are still working fine. Haven't had to readjust it, reset them or anything. The two little bent clips I made were a tight fit and had to drive them into place with a screw driver. They're not coming out unless I drive them back out with a screwdriver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom