Another Broken Key Shell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scottm

SILVER Star
Threads
My wife has broken her second key since we bought the truck in '08. The plastic shell is cracked near where the metal key is attached, looks like that's a weak point when the key is turned in the ignition. I didn't see much in a search, are others having this problem? Or is she just too aggressive in her key turning, and I'll have to put up with it?

I see these shells on eBay for $9, free shipping. I'll order a couple, has anyone had experience with these? I'll reuse the electronics from my keys, that has the transponder in it.

This is just one place selling them, looks like plenty of others. 98-07 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER REMOTE KEY REPLACEMENT SHELL: eBay Motors (item 120574027128 end time Jun-22-10 23:32:17 PDT)
!Bcj46rw!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-D!Equ5fmE5eBK0-h5JURQ~~_12.JPG

I just got mine done today that I ordered from ebay last week:

1998 - 2005 Toyota land cruiser Key Shell (case): eBay Motors (item 190305924284 end time May-31-10 13:31:24 PDT)

I don't think it's your wife's fault, it must be inherently a bad design. I bought my 99 Land Cruiser back in 2002, and I was given 2 keys. 1 of them was superglued and "melted" together to keep the key in place. The OEM key broke at some point sooner than 3 years! The other one lasted us 7½ years of mild use.

As you may know, the transponder part is where the "computer chip" lies. So all you need to do is swap the transponder, and have the key cut. No need to "program" anything.

Wow, just clicked on your link..I like that one better than the one I ordered. I'm actually going to order another one so I have 2 working keys!

It's an inherently weak design. I wish someone would come up with a stronger design.

I gave up on the LC keys after upteenth broken. So I cut the metal key portion of the remote key off...a little JB epoxy on the end...sanded down smooth and the remote on a key ring with a so far indestructible Camry key. It just works.

My remote key just feels like it's going to bust every time I use it, so I've resorted to only carrying my non remote key.

Funny, just changed mine out tonight as well. When I bought my LC used they only had a single master key. The FOB looked very well used, so they probably never even used the second key that was lost.

While browsing eBay I found these same new shells for $10 and ordered one a couple months ago. I had it cut at a local Toyota dealer along with a completely new second master key (bought from CDan). Today I was looking at my key and it was starting to crack and looked like it would break soon. I went ahead and switched it out, took all of 10 seconds and now looks like a brand spanking new key for $10!

I ordered two shells.

I normally get my keys cut to the VIN at the dealer, kinda spendy. How much are you guys paying, and can a locksmith cut with the VIN?

Mine was broken as well, got a new key cut and swapped inards - then had them cut me a new transponder key without buttons - in total cost was 180 cdn for the two.

Could have bought the key for 9 bucks on ebay but the guy told me he would have charged more to cut the ebay key.

Louis

On my 4th key as well...worst design ever - surprising given the overall quality of our vehicles.

Ordered 4. Two to replace the ones we have and two for when we have to do it again...

I ordered two shells.

I normally get my keys cut to the VIN at the dealer, kinda spendy. How much are you guys paying, and can a locksmith cut with the VIN?

Toyota Dealer quoted me $21

Local Locksmith quoted $35

I got it done at True Value hardware for 50 cents!!!!!

I gave up on the LC keys after upteenth broken. So I cut the metal key portion of the remote key off...a little JB epoxy on the end...sanded down smooth and the remote on a key ring with a so far indestructible Camry key. It just works.

Brilliant! I think I may go back to True Value hardware and see if they can cut me another key. An all metal one, just like they made in the old days before computer chips were encoded in. Then I'll keep it on the same key ring as my regular land cruiser key and it should work!

I'll keep you posted.

Superstition Mountain Toyota in Mesa, AZ cuts them for free for me. I've been through several, including having to buy new transponder keys. Always gotten them from EBAY, no problems besides the thing is fragile to begin with.

Regarding cutting keys, the dealer should do it for free. In other words if they are a good dealer and not greedy, they will cut your key for free.

My local dealer cut the new OEM key as well as the new eBay shell and didn't complain about either. In fact it was pretty funny, the service guy was like "oh I didn't know they sell just the shell, that's cool!". Ignorance is bliss!

I got it done at True Value hardware for 50 cents!!!!!

It's worth noting, when you have a dealer cut the key via the VIN number it's a completely fresh key cut from scratch. When a hardware store cuts the key they use your existing one as the template to cut the new one. That means it's a copy of a worn out key, and not fresh. Typically not a big deal, but worth noting if you key is especially worn out.

Could have bought the key for 9 bucks on ebay but the guy told me he would have charged more to cut the ebay key.

That is pure BS, you should take your money to another dealer that doesn't lie to your face. It doesn't not matter one bit to them if the key came from down the hall or from eBay, it still cuts the exact same. They are just being dicks and greedy.

It seems like if you turn the key in the ignition holding closer to the key/shell interface that it doesn't put as much stress on the shell. If I hold it closer to the "top" of the shell -- away from the key -- as I turn on the truck, I can feel the shell torqueing more.

Anyone notice the same?

^ Very much so and given the size of the fob portion, it is what feels right in your hand, so it is the natural thing to do. Bad design. Could have easily extended the metal to support the entire fob and had little to no breakage.

My first post and I am going to rip the LC.

Had the LC for 3 days. Broke the first shell the day after I picked it up. Just had the car washed about an hour ago and sure enough they split the 2nd shell and taped it back together.

These are complete pieces of crap.

Well, I guess I was bound to find one thing that was better on the Jeep than on the new LC.

I remember someone mentioning the Lexus shells to be tougher? Mine is the original and still solid after 113,000 miles. Can they be used interchangeably?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom