Builds An Accidental Frame Off.................. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There isn't too much left to scrape off of the inside, the passenger foot area, and half of both rear fenders area. The rest of it came off with beer, a putty knife, and a ball peen hammer.

I have more brute than brain.

My motto too!

But, that is going to be N-I-C-E when your done. I'm taking copious notes for next year.....You buying a welder? Well, I'm not asking for myself. Fred was interested..I figured I could "train him up"..Just sayen'

Welder. Yes, I bought a Hobart 140, should be good enough for what I will weld in the next few years.

A propane roofing torch is your friend for that stuff... be careful, though, a torch can also warp - and with that said, it may be less expensive to simply replace the entire floor.

Heat gun and a scraper.

Just skimmed over your thread and I have to say you're doing a bang up job. Looks pretty familiar in a lot of ways. Too familiar.

I have your sill in the back of the Matrix. Sending it off tonight before heading to our club meeting.

Kevin

Looks like I have a bunch of the same cancer patches you had on your last 40! I don't think I will be able to compare my metal fab with yours at all, hopefully I can find prefab patches to work with.

Hopefully...............

Well, maybe not now but by the time you're done that new welder will make you a pro.

Trust me, when you stand back and look at the finished metalwork its a real cool feeling knowing you did that.

Snow day. Around 30" of snow here. 24" in the wind swept areas, 36+" in the areas protected from the wind. There is a 4Runner under that snow on the left!

1453613418265.jpg

1453613438670.jpg

1453613449097.jpg

Hey quit playing in the snow and get that cruiser going!!! That storm got you guys good, I wish I was home right now to enjoy it! Hope you guys are enjoying it, I see you found a delicious Mountain State brew!! By the way, I flew into Huntsville the other day, didn't see any cruisers, but I was pretty busy the whole time I was there!!

Didn't get a chance to work on the 40 today, spent the whole day digging!

Crazy stuff. We had a mere dusting down in the low-lands 12" + or -..I'm giving the WV-DOH one more day before I head back to Kingwood.

I cannot confirm or deny the consumption of multiple alcoholic beverages tonight.

1454213172296.jpg

1454213183173.jpg

1454213211071.jpg

You are move'n out and drawing fire. Are you also adding new fender support brackets?

I am going to cut the spot welds out and inspect, and patch the sheet metal that is rusted underneath. Not 100% on the supports yet.

I should make you a few rib patches. Like 10" x 6" rectangles with a rib stamped in them. Can you wait a week for the shipping? No charge - just shoot me $20 for shipping.

You could then use the patches - cut and trimmed as needed - just like you are now. I know we talked about that earlier but I didn't think it would help. Now I see it might help out.

Absolutely! That would be awesome if you could stamp something like that! I will send a pm later this evening.

I'll stamp a few and pack them in a manilla/bubble envelope. I should still have your address handy here.

Got a load of boxes in the mail today, thanks to Awl_TEQ, Ky Hillbilly, and Cruiser Outfitters! There is a month worth of work ahead of me now. New tie rod ends, rear universal joints from Cruiser Outfitters, an early model air filter from Ky Hillbilly, and a bad ass rear sill from Awl_TEQ, I can't say enough about the quality of the rear sill.
I'm almost afraid to weld it in, I don't want to ruin it!

Dropped the tub off at the shop to get blasted, now I need to finish stripping down a few other body parts to drop off when I pick up the rub.

I am also trying to figure out what to do about priming the clean metal while I do the rust repair. I may be a few more months before I paint a topcoat. I don't plan on anything fancy, maybe the flat khaki that I have seen...maybe a light gray....?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom