Aisan Carb rebuild versus new Webber versus new Aisan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

amdataol

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 1978 FJ40 which was imported from Columbia and has carb issues. The existing carb is an Aisan, it looks like it may be the original, has the 'rod' linkage and has a vacuum operated choke breaker. I have read quite a few discussions on this site about the pro's and con's of Aisan rebuilds, Webber substitutions and new Aisan replacements and I am leaning towards just spending the money and buying a new Aisan. Could someone provide some insight as to whether this is the best conclusion and if so, a good source. Also what are the pro's and con's of an OEM Aisan versus an 'aftermarket' Aisan because there appears to be quite a price difference?

Not a Weber fan. I have a Rochester 2bbl. Came on the rig when I bought it in 82. I worked on the accelerator pump once about 15 years ago. Still works but I'm going to rip it down and clean it with an ultrasonic unit and juice. I need to make a new bushing for the Delco dizzy shaft too.

Pics of your current carb please.
check the build date code on the front of the air horn.
you might consider rebuilding your current carb, rebuild kits are cheap, it's fun and easy to rebuild, educational too.
If I was shopping for a replacement, I would first try to buy a rebuilt carb, with mechanical secondary, from one of the carb Gurus. they occasionally have one on the shelf. Perhaps your current carb could be a core.
a new replacement would probably have a vacuum operated secondary, I do not care for those.
Pics of your intake manifold and air cleaner too please, not all carbs work well with all intakes and air cleaners

Pics of your current carb please.
check the build date code on the front of the air horn.
you might consider rebuilding your current carb, rebuild kits are cheap, it's fun and easy to rebuild, educational too.
If I was shopping for a replacement, I would first try to buy a rebuilt carb, with mechanical secondary, from one of the carb Gurus. they occasionally have one on the shelf. Perhaps your current carb could be a core.
a new replacement would probably have a vacuum operated secondary, I do not care for those.
Pics of your intake manifold and air cleaner too please, not all carbs work well with all intakes and air cleaners
Thanks for your input.
5 pictures of carb attached. Additional carb pictures, manifold and air cleaner to follow since I could only attach 5 pictures.
It looks like the build date is 3A28.
I do have the skills to rebuild the carb if I can get all of the necessary parts. I have the Haynes workshop manual and with the help of your videos and a 'parts cleaner' I am sure I could get the job done. That is the way I was planning on going and then I got nervous after reading some of the blogs from people who either had them rebuilt or did it themselves. I guess the key is to get a good rebuild kit that has all of the parts. Your further input would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_7268.JPG

IMG_7271.JPG

IMG_7272.JPG

IMG_7273.JPG

IMG_7274.JPG

From the look of buggered screws and bolts and a few missing bits, I'd guess that carb has been apart an unhealthy amount of times; and as it's a Columbian rig, Gawd only knows what's inside.

You might be better served by having one of the Land Cruiser Carb Gurus do your rebuild as they'll have the resources to correct a Frankencarb.

New 21100-61012 Carburetors are available from Toyota, but they are $1000 now, or more, and only available from vendors who import them, not through the dealer. You'll have to verify that carb will work with your set up. Cheap Chinese Clones for $120 are available that seem to be hit or miss. Japanese clone also, that's middling-priced, from City Racer (if they're in stock).

You could call Mark's Off Road (Guru) 818-953-9230 to discuss your options.

@65swb45

From the look of buggered screws and bolts and a few missing bits, I'd guess that carb has been apart an unhealthy amount of times; and as it's a Columbian rig, Gawd only knows what's inside.

You might be better served by having one of the Land Cruiser Carb Gurus do your rebuild as they'll have the resources to correct a Frankencarb.

New 21100-61012 Carburetors are available from Toyota, but they are $1000 now, or more, and only available from vendors who import them, not through the dealer. You'll have to verify that carb will work with your set up. Cheap Chinese Clones for $120 are available that seem to be hit or miss. Japanese clone also, that's middling-priced, from City Racer (if they're in stock).

You could call Mark's Off Road (Guru) 818-953-9230 to discuss your options.

@65swb45
All good input, thank you. I have seen the Aisan OEM and Aisan 'clones' on the City Racer website and heard about Mark being the Carb 'Guru' but apparently he is somewhat difficult to get a hold of. I think I'll take your advice, leave a message for Mark and see if I get a call back.

All good input, thank you. I have seen the Aisan OEM and Aisan 'clones' on the City Racer website and heard about Mark being the Carb 'Guru' but apparently he is somewhat difficult to get a hold of. I think I'll take your advice, leave a message for Mark and see if I get a call back.
Just called and Mark answered the phone.!! It sounds like he got caught up and has a turn-around time of about 2 weeks. We spoke about my possible Columbian "Frankencarb" and he suspects it doesn't have anything that he hasn't seen before with around 1400 rebuilds under his belt. I am going to ship it to him for evaluation. Thanks again for your help.

Good choice!

I would also recommend getting a 'Silver Star Subscription' ($20/year) which allows unlimited picture posting and stops all the eye-gouging popups. You're gonna need the picture allowance with a new-to-you truck and all the inevitable questions that will show up.

Subscription sign up is under 'Merch' on the top menu

Welcome to the madness :smokin:

I will call you with the full post-mortem later. Suffice it to say, this was one sad carb that still has a lot of great potential. A few highlights:

Yes, I did see something that I have NEVER seen before! When I pulled out the two bolts that hold the fuel bowl to the throttle body, the carb separated. There was NO hollow screw inside the throttle body😱 The gaskets on the EGR spacer were homemade as well, and there was a significant amount of rust on top of the throttle body, indicating a long and persistent vacuum leak.
IMG_8769.jpeg

The factory main jets were both mia, replaced with Mikuni that were too small. Both the slow jets had been drilled out, the checkball and spring were mia from the accel pump discharge chamber, and the power piston was frozen in the ‘on’ position.
IMG_8766.jpeg

And the spring in the secondary diaphragm was installed on the wrong side of the diaphragm 🤦🏻

At least that gasket was made in England 😂!

I will call you with the full post-mortem later. Suffice it to say, this was one sad carb that still has a lot of great potential. A few highlights:

Yes, I did see something that I have NEVER seen before! When I pulled out the two bolts that hold the fuel bowl to the throttle body, the carb separated. There was NO hollow screw inside the throttle body😱 The gaskets on the EGR spacer were homemade as well, and there was a significant amount of rust on top of the throttle body, indicating a long and persistent vacuum leak.View attachment 3542297
The factory main jets were both mia, replaced with Mikuni that were too small. Both the slow jets had been drilled out, the checkball and spring were mia from the accel pump discharge chamber, and the power piston was frozen in the ‘on’ position.
View attachment 3542299
And the spring in the secondary diaphragm was installed on the wrong side of the diaphragm 🤦🏻
I guess the moral of the story Mark is to NEVER say NEVER..lol.!! I look forward to your call and then we can discuss a distributor option for my Columbian 'Frankencruiser'. I have another thread under 'distributor' with pictures of my existing HEI if you can take a look.

I guess the moral of the story Mark is to NEVER say NEVER..lol.!! I look forward to your call and then we can discuss a distributor option for my Columbian 'Frankencruiser'. I have another thread under 'distributor' with pictures of my existing HEI if you can take a look.
Hi Mark. Further to our conversation today, please find attached pictures with answers to your questions and the additional information requested.
1) the black carb spacer is straight and flat. Therefore the 2 gaskets should fit the bill.
2) the carb linkage rods are shown, the fixed one is 2.75" with the ends aligned and the adjustable one is a 'bent' 5.5" with the ends 90 deg to each other.
3) the valve cover does not have any markings on it, either "Toyota" or "F2".
4) the valve cover has two 'vent' lines, the one on the left connects to the air filter cover as shown and the one on the right connects into the inlet manifold with a 'T' fitting, with the other line from the 'T' attaching to the carb. I don't see any PCV valve.
I'll be available all day tomorrow if you want to call to discuss.
Many thanks.

IMG_7328.JPG

IMG_7329.JPG

IMG_7330.JPG

IMG_7331.JPG

IMG_7335.JPG

IMG_7337.JPG

IMG_7332.JPG

IMG_7336.JPG

Rebuild or find a good 60 carb and have it gone through. I had mine rebuilt 7 years ago and other than spray some carb cleaner in it I have not touched it and it runs flawlessly.
Mark at 'Mark's off Road' is rebuilding mine. It came from Columbia and had some major issues like wrong sized main jets, seized accelerator pump. drilled out idle jets, etc. etc. etc. I thought it was trash but Mark is managing to salvage it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom