After 16 years, she died on me ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
Hadn't driven the 60 since last Nov (I leave it on a trickle charger) and since today was a nice day, I though I take off the cover and drive around for a bit. Drove very well for about 20 mins, then all of a sudden, truck just stumbles and dies. After an hour of side-of-the-road trouble shooting, I called the wife to bring the Tacoma. 60 would start and run for 5-10 seconds, then stumble and die. Couldn't get it to run for more than that, either idling or at 2K rpm ..

Fortunately, I was only a few miles from home so low and slow drag on the end of a tow rope and we made it back.

At home I re-checked all the usual culprits: ICS - Working - Click, click. Fuel in the carb site window - check. Fuel in the fuel filter? Bubbling and seemed ok... Good spark, check. Vac leaks - No. Steady at 20 Hg. No obstructions for air intake. Nope... Scratching my head. Igniters do go bad, but rarely.

So I pulled out my spare Igniter w/ Coil, installed, and no change. If the pickup in the dissy fails, then they don't work at all and you'll get a crank, no start condition.

I had a new fuel filter, so I threw that on and Voila! Not many miles on it, but it was old... Never had a fuel filter do that in any car I've ever owned...

"🎶 Back on the road again".... Moral? Change your fuel filter more often than you think. Could have been dirty gasoline, I suppose.

(with apologies to Onur's one-finger salute)

PXL_20240318_012923700.jpg
PXL_20240318_012900916.jpg

Good call @Spike Strip. I should keep one in my spares bag for trips. Glad you got it sorted.

I keep a spare fusible link and fuel filter in the glove box. Never had to use them.

Drive the truck, don’t be scared.

In 1999 I drove my '86 60 from Austin to Oaxaca (and back ;) ) and I brought 2 extra fuel filters since a lot of the gas down that way can be quite dirty. She made it without a fuss, thankfully.

Were you running regular fuel? Could the ethanol in regular have congealed in the filter from sitting since Nov.?
Maybe calls for a drive to burn through that tank. That shouldn't take more than an hour.

man, i drained my fuel tank this weekend and its only been in my truck for 1 year, brand new recall tank. The amount of junk on the bottom of it was alarming. Brand new tank.
Now you got me wondering about my new-ish recall tank….

Hadn't driven the 60 since last Nov (I leave it on a trickle charger) and since today was a nice day, I though I take off the cover and drive around for a bit. Drove very well for about 20 mins, then all of a sudden, truck just stumbles and dies. After an hour of side-of-the-road trouble shooting, I called the wife to bring the Tacoma. 60 would start and run for 5-10 seconds, then stumble and die. Couldn't get it to run for more than that, either idling or at 2K rpm ..

Fortunately, I was only a few miles from home so low and slow drag on the end of a tow rope and we made it back.

At home I re-checked all the usual culprits: ICS - Working - Click, click. Fuel in the carb site window - check. Fuel in the fuel filter? Bubbling and seemed ok... Good spark, check. Vac leaks - No. Steady at 20 Hg. No obstructions for air intake. Nope... Scratching my head. Igniters do go bad, but rarely.

So I pulled out my spare Igniter w/ Coil, installed, and no change. If the pickup in the dissy fails, then they don't work at all and you'll get a crank, no start condition.

I had a new fuel filter, so I threw that on and Voila! Not many miles on it, but it was old... Never had a fuel filter do that in any car I've ever owned...

"🎶 Back on the road again".... Moral? Change your fuel filter more often than you think. Could have been dirty gasoline, I suppose.

(with apologies to Onur's one-finger salute)

View attachment 3584826View attachment 3584827
That reminds me, I think my 62's fuel filter is due for a change this year too.....

I ordered a couple Wix 'In-line' universal fuel filters (part # 33033) with metal casing to use as a 'pre' filter. They're cheap, about $5 and made in USA.

I don't like the cheap 5-for-$10 ChiCom plastic ones as I've read too many instances of people using them under-hood and they melt or become brittle and leak and cause fires. I don't think they're intended for high, under-hood temps, more for ATV, etc...

LINK

1710783295882.png

1710783334287.png

Ooooooo that doesn't look good. My concern is if it's getting picked up from your tank rather than an easily replaceable hard line, how bad is any corrosion inside the tank....

You're definitely right on the filter choices. No way would I use a cheap plastic one under the hood. The metal Wix is actually what I used in my old Plymouth when I had it too. For my 62 I stick with OEM Toyota fuel filters though. When I change out my current one I'm going to cut it open and see what it looks like inside, just for giggles.

Ooooooo that doesn't look good. My concern is if it's getting picked up from your tank rather than an easily replaceable hard line, how bad is any corrosion inside the tank....

I have a 38 gal Aus tank that was installed around 2008. Possible it's getting rusty inside. It may be time to replace the fuel line from the tank to the filter. And the return.

@Spike Strip Did you split open the filter? I wonder if I'm having the same issue. :hmm:

No, just dumped out what I could onto the paper. I may drain it and when it's evap inside the filter, I'll cut it open.

I ordered a couple Wix 'In-line' universal fuel filters (part # 33033) with metal casing to use as a 'pre' filter. They're cheap, about $5 and made in USA.

I don't like the cheap 5-for-$10 ChiCom plastic ones as I've read too many instances of people using them under-hood and they melt or become brittle and leak and cause fires. I don't think they're intended for high, under-hood temps, more for ATV, etc...

LINK

View attachment 3585264

View attachment 3585266
@Spike Strip I’m not saying this Wix is a bad filter, in fact after reading your post I’m going to order a couple…I too like the fact that it’s metal & not plastic…BUT that Wix part # for me comes up as made in China on Amazon.

Last edited:
Possible. They may have moved production. We'll see in a day or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom