AC compressor death after dash fuse fried (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 97 TLC in IN and was driving home to SC when the dash went totally dead. All gauges went out like I turned off the car. I figured it was the fuse, but decided to wait until I had to get gas to check it out. Well sure enough, as I exited the freeway about 30 min later, I heard the sound of a bearing go out on the accessories. It sounded just like another time when my idler pulley went out on my 100 series. I checked under the hood and the AC compressor clutch was totally fried.

Now, the question I have is whether the two are related. If the dash fuse went out, did that fry the AC compressor clutch, or did the AC going out kill the fuse? I have ordered a reman compressor, but now that I think about it, I have considered just swapping out the clutches, so I won't have to open the system.

What are your thoughts?

I'm inclined to think totally separate.

I hope what you bought isn't a basketcase, -is the dash tight -n- right, or did you buy something that is loose & more to make a trail rig out of?

Isn't IN part of the 'dreaded salt zone'? - is the engine bay & underside clean?

Here's hoping you have a tight lid on that relay box behind that battery, saltwater is good for ham & turkey, not for the relays.

Not a basketcase at all. Almost all stock. There is a touch of rust on the tailgate, and a small spot on the hood. Under carriage is solid, just some surface rust. I'm the 3rd owner, and the previous 2 had it as a 3rd vehicle and didn't see much use.

The wiring for the AC clutch is protected by the "GAUGE" fuse. Sounds like it did its job when your clutch fried.

Thanks. That's what I figured but was looking for some confirmation

A similar thing happened to me the other day. I was driving home in the heat with a packed cruiser including kids when the a/c and dash gauges suddenly went out. I pulled over to check under the hood and didn't see anything obvious. I started it back up and the engine bay started smoking. I checked and the belt was melting at the a/c compressor clutch. I figured it died. I cut the belt off and drove home. Also I noticed the windows don't work.

I'm assuming I need to replace the two fuses in the cabin here as well as the a/c compressor or clutch (oh, and the belt I cut):

LC_Fuses.png

Question: With the compressor pigtail disconnected, am I ok to replace the fuses and drive it around until I replace the remaining parts?

Yep, totally related. Had the same thing happen last year on a 95+ day. It got me home, glad it wasn't a longer drive due to the heat. The AC clutch is tied into the dash gauge circuit. Decided that due to age and favorable pricing to just have the whole AC compressor clutch and all replaced.

Most likely your compressor locked up smoked the clutch which probably got cherry hot and melted the magnetic pack until it shorted and took out your fusible link and probably the gauge fuse. Or it was overcharged and smoked the clutch. When the clutch starts slipping your done if you don't catch it in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom