Ac compressor clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried searching but I couldn't find anything recent.

Are ac compressor clutches available? If so what's a good part #?

Thanks

Dang, either nla or way to expensive. Does someone rebuild these or am I just ordering a whole new compressor?

How do you know if it is the clutch or the compressor?
Honestly I need to do a little more diagnosing. I just ordered a new mechanics stethoscope. But something on the front of my engine sounds like a can of rocks rolling down the road.

Typically the ac compressor clutch will make noise with the ac off and the noise will go away when the ac is turned on, but not always.

The definitive diagnosis will be made with a mechanics stethoscope using it on anything that a belt touches. But I am already 90% sure my noise is the ac compressor clutch. Same thing happened on my 91.

You can test the clutch electrically. You don't need the engine. The procedure is in the FSM:
1694398409286.png

You can just replace the bearing if you want. I was able to find a decent quality bearing on Amazon when I did this a few years ago but it's no longer on the site. Here are the bearing dimensions:

Inside Diameter - 30 millimeters, Width Outer Race - 22 millimeters, Outside Diameter - 52 millimeters

Often though, when the bearing is bad the nose of the compressor is damaged. The nose is aluminum and the bearing may spin on the nose which causes damage pretty quickly. I was able to "alumaweld" the nose on my compressor to build it back up, file that down to the correct size and then install a new bearing and run it for around a year without issue before I replaced the entire AC system. The repaired nose/bearing swapped compressor was working when I replaced the compressor over a year later but I was always wary of it because the clutch alignment was a little off and I was worried that I had damaged the seal on the input shaft by putting so much heat into the nose.

Unless you have a lot of new parts in the system already I recommend a new compressor, dryer, expansion valve, all o rings and likely an evaporator and condensor as well. The parts aren't that expensive and you'll have a solid system for a long time to come for the price of a single re-charge.

You can just replace the bearing if you want. I was able to find a decent quality bearing on Amazon when I did this a few years ago but it's no longer on the site. Here are the bearing dimensions:

Inside Diameter - 30 millimeters, Width Outer Race - 22 millimeters, Outside Diameter - 52 millimeters

Often though, when the bearing is bad the nose of the compressor is damaged. The nose is aluminum and the bearing may spin on the nose which causes damage pretty quickly. I was able to "alumaweld" the nose on my compressor to build it back up, file that down to the correct size and then install a new bearing and run it for around a year without issue before I replaced the entire AC system. The repaired nose/bearing swapped compressor was working when I replaced the compressor over a year later but I was always wary of it because the clutch alignment was a little off and I was worried that I had damaged the seal on the input shaft by putting so much heat into the nose.

Unless you have a lot of new parts in the system already I recommend a new compressor, dryer, expansion valve, all o rings and likely an evaporator and condensor as well. The parts aren't that expensive and you'll have a solid system for a long time to come for the price of a single re-charge.
Good info. I will get this stethoscope I ordered and verify it is the clutch bearing. Than I will pull the clutch and have a look. If swapping a bearing works than I will go that route.

If the nose cone is damaged than I will spend this fall and winter collecting parts for an ac system rebuild.

Thanks for the bearing size.

If you end up going the system refresh route I compiled information from other forum contributors and created a parts list and guide that worked well when I did a system refresh on my '97 80:

@leonard_nemoy here is an old thread I bookmarked that discusses replacing the bearing in the clutch. I have a rattle at startup (if the AC is on) that goes away after a couple of minutes, I don't have it on a warm restart. I'm planning to tear my clutch apart to see if this works before dropping coin on a compressor and related parts. Other than the start up rattle my AC works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom