a-trac 101 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also vote for FAQ. Great write-up!

Great jerb Nick. Lots of great info and some great vids to illustrate your points - well formatted and written.

Another FAQ vote here. :cheers:

Could a 98-99 rear 3rd member with factory locker be installed in a 00-02 model to have matching gears, a-trac and a rear locker?

Great write up, thank you for sharing your experience with ATRAC. The recommended RPM range information was very helpful. I can see how someone who is unfamiliar with how the system works could do some damage with the skinny peddle trying to get it to engage.

Your wheeling technique is right on, slow and steady. It was pretty obvious to me you really know how to use ATRAC. The video of you in the muddy leaf covered ditch lifting one wheel after another shows the capabilities of ATRAC and your understanding of how it works. I know you really like ATRAC but you and a set of ARBs would be fun to watch.

Could a 98-99 rear 3rd member with factory locker be installed in a 00-02 model to have matching gears, a-trac and a rear locker?

I don't see why not. It'd be the same thing as installing an ARB locker in the rear. Plenty of people doing that as well as running front and rear lockers with Atrac.

In the FAQ.

I think the housings are slightly different to accommodate A-TRAC. The inner shafts of the 98-99 differ slightly as well due to actuator for the locker. You would then have to incorporate the brain of VSC and A-TRAC into the front and rear diffs.

This is not A-TRAC 101, it's a 901 post-graduate course! Thanks for taking the time.

Great stuff Nick. I don't have ATRAC, but if/when I do some day, the techniques have already been clearly laid out. Definitely a different approach to driving from a lockered hundy for sure.

I think the housings are slightly different to accommodate A-TRAC. The inner shafts of the 98-99 differ slightly as well due to actuator for the locker. You would then have to incorporate the brain of VSC and A-TRAC into the front and rear diffs.

Wait, what does the diff have to do with atrac? I thought it was a coputerized brake assist method of traction? How would a rear have an "inner shaft"? :confused:

Great write-up, even for us non a-trac equipped folks!

Nice write up though one error. On 100-series vehicles A-TRAC does NOT control throttle. It only operates using the braking system. ONLY VSC intervenes the engine throttle/output.

Nice write up though one error. On 100-series vehicles A-TRAC does NOT control throttle. It only operates using the braking system. ONLY VSC intervenes the engine throttle/output.

I'm on my phone right now. can you tell me where that is? It needs to be changed and I'm not quite sure how it got in there.

I can see how someone who is unfamiliar with how the system works could do some damage with the skinny peddle trying to get it to engage.

A-TRAC on the 100-series is dual-mode. If you give it plenty of throttle it will NOT intervene and no damage will occur. It will let you spin those tires plowing through mud at redline...WHEELS SLIPPING OR NOT. This allows you to make it through the mud without getting stuck.

The truck does work like 2000UZJ said at low speeds while crawling, don't keep increasing the throttle...keep it steady and let the system shift the power around until you grip. TRAC DOES NOT CUT ENGINE POWER and it will allow you to control your own RPM...so yes...the more you slip slip rock rock the greater your chance of breaking something.

I'm on my phone right now. can you tell me where that is? It needs to be changed and I'm not quite sure how it got in there.

Found in many places. The owner's manual even shows it. Your experience and videos shows it too. IF it cut throttle then folks wouldn't have to "watch how much they use so they don't break something". You'd simply hold the gas down and the system would be changing/reving, etc on it's own. We all know it doesn't do that. Keep in mind that the Toyota verbiage varies from article to articla and manual, etc. Applying a brake to a wheel "cuts engine output" AT THAT WHEEL only. Then sometimes they say it works via "brake fluid pressure"...well that means the brake applies. It's clearest in the owners manual.

The A-TRAC in the Sequoia does control throttle...it's not programmed primarily for off-roading. More for safety and it's bigger as well. It will leave you stranded in the mud and sand when the brakes kick in AND the engine RPM drops.

Last edited:
Since the system can only control two wheels at a time, a slick hill climb can only be conquered if you air down, a-trac can be defeated easily in the right conditions. Mud is one of those conditions, even with all my knowledge about a-trac...mud is the biggest problem this is my approach to a muddy hill climb where a slow and reasonable get thrown out the window...

Good video! You made it because you got on the throttle and ATRAC did not activate, intervene and/or cut engine power.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom