Builds A fabricators 80 build.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All mounted up. I like em... there a mud terrain so there is a little hum going down the road but nothing bad. I give more thoughts on performance after some drive time. The only negative so far is how much weight these needed for balancing.
IMG_20170206_184154.jpg

So jealous of the steelies man!! Wish I could pull them off with the LX but wouldn't look right.

Are those 37's? I take it you regear'd your 80. How does the engine take the extra weight of the tires?

So jealous of the steelies man!! Wish I could pull them off with the LX but wouldn't look right.

Are those 37's? I take it you regear'd your 80. How does the engine take the extra weight of the tires?

Thanks, i love the steel wheels this color. Debating on putting a set on the 60. These are 35's. And she goes good. Im gonna add 1" spacers in the rear next. She sits too level for my taste. Especially with a full tank and gear. Im not sure if its geared. I got her on 35's. But ive driven customers stockers and she goes just as well. Ill tell you this though after having the Button Built mogs over here for custom fab work i wish i went 37's . I just put 47's on his mog and my cruisers and 718 pinz look tiny with this monster in the driveway.
IMG_20170118_205646_582.jpg

i have been harassing that button built guy on instagram because to me it looks like his mog never hits the dirt. truth is i just miss mine...

i have been harassing that button built guy on instagram because to me it looks like his mog never hits the dirt. truth is i just miss mine...

Lol.... actually he's dying to hit the trails. But where we are it's a long drive in a MOG at 45 or even my 80 to anywhere worth stretching the legs out on those things. At least he drives the cars he collects.. he's a cool guy and its funny to see these out driving in Boston traffic.

Lol.... actually he's dying to hit the trails. But where we are it's a long drive in a MOG at 45 or even my 80 to anywhere worth stretching the legs out on those things. At least he drives the cars he collects.. he's a cool guy and its funny to see these out driving in Boston traffic.

pretty much exactly the situation i had. but still, 2 hours on the freeway at 20-30kmh below the limit was worth the day in the bush. however dangerously fatigued i was on the drive home. I used to love the way traffic would just move as soon as you turned on your indicator to change lanes. Also getting waved through the random roadside breath testing patrols was a novelty.

Would also like to know what springs your running and how it handles ??
I'm running the Slee 6" springs, along with 1.5" MAF spacers, no swaybars at either end, and no complaints other than the 37's rub a bit at full stuff, even with Slee's extensions.

Well being in the northeast it didnt take more than a day to get snow and try out the new tires... they worked just as i hoped on packed snow and slush. I even pulled my trailer today to go pick up a new to me vintage Logan lathe in the snow.
20170207_122521.jpg

So far X3's are a great tire and im happy with the purchase. Just gotta get another steelie for the spare.

All mounted up. I like em... there a mud terrain so there is a little hum going down the road but nothing bad. I give more thoughts on performance after some drive time. The only negative so far is how much weight these needed for balancing. View attachment 1397067
Food for thought... I worked for a couple tire shops years ago, and "chasing weight" or the process of placing weights in different places on the rim was always a no-no. When this became an issue we did either a static balance, or went to internal balancing with media type, tire bb's or other types of internal additives to get a zero balance. My 37's ha e no external weights and only use internal "bb's" to obtain a balance, and I'll say they're smooth as glass from a stop, up to 80mph. Something to consider.

View attachment 1074604 Hello all. New to this section but not mud. I also own Ingrid a sweet 60 series with only 135k miles that was owned by a few great members on this site. Anyhow I've acquired a 95 80 series that I traded a motorcycle for. The truck was from Arizona. I got it with the lift in it. It's OME and sits on 35's mounted to 17" fj steelies. Had a tjm bumper that was rusted through and in rough shape. It's also 3x locked and 7 pin mod is done. I just recently started going through the truck and have completely done all the brakes over. I used Disc Brake Australia 4x4 extreme rotors and hawk pads. Very happy with the upgrade to these and would recommend them. Looks up the specs there pretty nice. I also replaced the birfs with RCV axles $$$. Happy with those too.
The basis of this build is set the truck up for overlanding. To be good and useful at most things and reliable. I've had a lot of yotas. Trucks and runners. All built. Now that I have a family the 80 series seems to fit all my needs. And is more kid/wife friendly than Ingrid. Plus I don't drive the 60 in the newengland winters. Keeping her salt free.
About me. I'm a full time fabricator at a company And went to school for engineering also. I do most of my designs on solidworks. I build machines and equipment that pic stuff up with vacuum. Anything from micro chips to 30k lb objects. I also have a small shop/business at home. And build/repair cars,bikes and trucks. I also do custom projects/furniture for people in the winter months. I'll post some pics of some work and recent projects. One of which was one of my favorites. A pair of twin Gatling guns for a customers front entry. These were crazy. I laugh every time I drive by his house.
View attachment 1074603

Id like to order one for my 80 to help me through morning traffic. Nice work! MagPul has an old Micro Bus with mounted to it. They had it at the NRA convention and it was a great piece of work all around.

Air cylinder showed up today along with 2 more water rotopax for the carrier side on the rear bumper. I got the compressor in/plumbed and system all working. I still need to make the integral guard to protect the cylinder. View attachment 1332178 View attachment 1332179
I did this with mine a few years ago. I've been thinking of upping the size of the cylinder just to get faster locker actuation. Not sure why more people don't do this mod. Very inexpensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom