Builds A fabricators 80 build.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are some pics of the fuel/tire carrier. I'm pretty happy with how it finally came out. A mix of 3/16 and 10 gauge. Super clean and tight for what it accomplishes. It only sticks out 5.75" from the tailgate. And that leaves a .75" gap at the tailgate. Not including tire pad. People including myself have dragged a spare when climbing up over steep obstacles with tire carries. I've raised the tire mount and a angled it to lessen the chance of dragging when climbing. Can't wait to test it! It follows the angle of the window and is as tight to the carrier as can be allowed. With the tire higher I can now fit the license plate nicely. The rotopax are 3 Gallon units allowing me to carry 6 gallons safely protected within the carrier. I still have more things to tidy up before final weld out. But overall I'm very happy with it. This also may change some people's minds about swingouts that carry their tires underneath . I designed it so that the tire carrier pieces are not integral and it can be made with out the carrier and gives a nice clean safe way to carry extra fuel....
Back to the build.... I have to put the studs in the tire plate and then start the ladder.
20160830_180315.jpg
20160830_175440.jpg
20160830_175606.jpg
20160830_175522.jpg
20160830_180046.jpg

that is looking choice az bro.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Awesome stuff. Any idea how hard it would be to incorporate 5 gallon plastic nato cans in a design like that? I would love to have the nato cans safe and secure behind the spare.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Awesome stuff. Any idea how hard it would be to incorporate 5 gallon plastic nato cans in a design like that? I would love to have the nato cans safe and secure behind the spare.
One of these?
It's narrower. And about an 1" deeper and 1-1/2" taller so looks doable...
20160830_194403.jpg

One of these?
It's narrower. And about an 1" deeper and 1-1/2" taller so looks doable...

Yes, precisely! As soon as I get my lift and other things installed, you are very next on my list of people to talk to. Did I miss the pricing on your rear bumpers? I realize I will be paying extra for the customization, but I was curious what the base model you are working on is gonna go for.

Looks like a nice set of 'brass' knuckles. LOL. Really like your innovation and different eye to things.
First Rate!

how soon will you be selling rear bumpers.? i need one without swing outs. trailer receiver is a must and if possible id like the recovery points that do not stick out but instead go in like your front bumper recovery points (very slick).. and pricing thanks.

Very soon and thanks. Actually one already went out to a local for testing and feedback. He was very happy after a week up in Maine with it pulling a trailer. Said it was "better than he imagined".. I also did his lift and installed my extended diff breather kit. He's coming back for more work in a couple weeks.

Looks like a nice set of 'brass' knuckles. LOL. Really like your innovation and different eye to things.
First Rate!

Thank you! and that's much appreciated. I try and put a lot of thought into my designs. I feel like things in our industry are so dated! I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, just take a different and more methodical approach to things. the knuckle duster is actually part of a pen, scribe, small tool holder I make from scrap. a self defense desk ornament lol.. (not really)
But thanks again...

Rich
knuck holder 3.jpg

I'm working on transferring cardboard to mother board (computer) now. Working on the ladder so hopefully tomorrow I can just get up and get cutting.
I'm trying to decide on what else if anything I want to add to the ladder/bumper. I'm thinking a drop down first step cause mine is high on 35's and I'm short. I also want a shovel and ax mount as I always carry those. antenna mount, I have a work light I need to mount as well. you know there will probably be a stainless bottle opener somewhere. I thought about adding another rotopax mount for water but I don't think I'm gonna do that on mine, would be nice protected behind the ladder though. my 60'' highlift will probably go up on the roof as well as my maxtrax when I do the rack which is next after the rear. Maybe ill put a small drop table for my jetboil behind the ladder...
Any ideas or thoughts???

I'm trying to imagine with the tailgate down and the swing outs open. A small flip down table could be handy with the upper gate open, but it's going to be exposed to dirt and mud.

A small water proof container for tie down straps and recovery gear would be handy there. It could also be as secure as the rotopax. Or a first aide kit. Could also mount a fire extinguisher there, but it's either going to be u protected or push the ladder out from the body.

Did I miss the diff breather in here somewhere? Do you have any pictures of that?

There is space between the bottom two rungs and behind the ladder for a 2 gallon rotopax. I don't think I'll be dragging a tire and it clears the hood of cars for parking in the city. 38" of clearance under the tire. The ladder follows the contour of the body. I'm loving it and can't wait to put lights and accessories on and paint it! The ladder rungs are stainless steel as is the top grab bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom