Builds A fabricators 80 build.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, I think the bigger supported area under the arm (in your case the width of the arm and the L) the more support it will create for the swing out. Just like creating a wider more stable base. What if you moved the latch behind the plate and put it on the "L" piece, so it was protected and not hanging off the face of the bumper? Could you mount the hooks on the step of the bumper and still open the tailgate? Or maybe make it really trick and recess them lol.

I'm still working on some small details. Like trying a rotary latch setup.. although think about this.... I realised this after I did it. On my bumper i push the swing Arms in to give over the bumper and not flush with the face like most. For two reasons, we'll maybe more . Lol but initially to clear for possibly putting recovery pockets like my front bumper. And second I think it looks much better! Less blocky and cleaner. Plus it give a small step if you have little feet. Just kidding.
So on to what I noticed by doing this and using the destaco for this bumper. I had to come back out to the face for the latch. To do that i added another piece of tubing. Then capped it with the latch and stop plate . So the arm is now L shaped. This helps brace against the twisting force caused by the tire mount that all Arms see. It puts the end of the tube closer to the centerline of the tire and creates leverage. I dont know its late im tired but i think its doing something.lol. Under the arm is a machined piece of delrin that presses against the top of the bumper when clamped. And the bumper stop is poly not rubber. The rubber gives after a while. This set up should last and stay tight!

Overall im happy with the design. It's clean, strong and functional. the carrier is open to more options. I can not put the cut outs in the lower section of the frame and put a door on the back which would double as a drop table. It's 21" wide. And put an expanded metal floor for drainage and that might be the perfect spot to throw dirty straps and recovery gear. Or it holds 9 quarts of oil or fluids at that size. Lots of possibilities.

Yes, I think the bigger supported area under the arm (in your case the width of the arm and the L) the more support it will create for the swing out. Just like creating a wider more stable base. What if you moved the latch behind the plate and put it on the "L" piece, so it was protected and not hanging off the face of the bumper? Could you mount the hooks on the step of the bumper and still open the tailgate? Or maybe make it really trick and recess them lol.
That's not a bad idea if I don't get the rotary latch to function like i want. Thanks

I doubt it would ever be a problem where it is. I just know someone will say what if I slide off a rock and hit the latch. lol.

That's not a bad idea if I don't get the rotary latch to function like i want. Thanks

Worth showing how the plug cut out was done. Not just a plate....but Tubed through. The plate is tapped. The face beveled, Welded and ground. And the rear pierces outhe the back a 1/4" for welding.
20160731_151705.jpg
20160731_151655.jpg
20160731_192320.jpg

Wow yeah that is a nice touch, and it's things like that, that makes you know it is well thought out! Could have just cut a hole and bent a thin piece of metal and bolted the outlet to it. But it is details like this that makes you realize what real craftsmanship is. Craftsmanship is dying off so keep it up, it shows!

Worth showing how the plug cut out was done. Not just a plate....but Tubed through. The plate is tapped. The face beveled, Welded and ground. And the rear pierces outhe the back a 1/4" for welding. View attachment 1302307 View attachment 1302308 View attachment 1302309

Wow yeah that is a nice touch, and it's things like that, that makes you know it is well thought out! Could have just cut a hole and bent a thin piece of metal and bolted the outlet to it. But it is details like this that makes you realize what real craftsmanship is. Craftsmanship is dying off so keep it up, it shows!

Thanks man!

Reactions: BBB
View attachment 1301834 Here's a quick shot of the rear bumper and a single swingout. I'll update and post more info tomorrow. It's late I'm tired but wanted to share. This one does not utilize the rotary latch design I'm working on. That's not finished yet. Iam trying to finish up now and paint in the morning.
This is what I am talking about! It is amazing to see someone think about things differently. I have always hated swing out spare tire mounts on rear bumpers because there seems to be a ton of flex in them. Your design is simple and elegant and it appears to address the flex. Well done!

Any chance of doing the underneath like this? Like a giant skid plate for her butt...

0RGDuEp.jpg

0RGDuEp.jpg

Dunno why that pic posted twice but I don't seem to be able to fix it. Sorry about that!

Not sure whose truck this is but the bumper is kinda awesome.

Dunno why that pic posted twice but I don't seem to be able to fix it. Sorry about that!

That is a 4x4 labs rear bump.

I had that pic problem 2 nights ago?
That's a 4x4 labs bumper. And yes I can add plating like that. I don't think I've posted a pic showing but there is plating under mine from the frame to the wings.

This is what I am talking about! It is amazing to see someone think about things differently. I have always hated swing out spare tire mounts on rear bumpers because there seems to be a ton of flex in them. Your design is simple and elegant and it appears to address the flex. Well done!

Thank you!

Glad to hear you're feeling better! Tic bites are absolutely a pain in the outdoorsmens ass. I've had my own story with them. Glad you're doing better!

Love the rear bumper!

I'm looking forward to seeing recovery pockets on the design. I did have one question; I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I've got rear quarter panel protection on my Tacoma, and it's saved me from body damage more than once. I can't tell from the pics if there's enough space around the spindle to mount some tubing. On the truck it sticks about 2" away from the body and extends about 3" above the rear bumper. I can take some pics if I'm not explaining it well. It looks like if I go flare less there's enough to mount on the front side, I'm just not sure about around the spindle.

I'm looking forward to buying a set!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom