85 FJ60 Front Seat Belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Both my pass and driver side front seat belts don't seem to lock when yanked on. Is there a better way to test/fix them? I don't feel safe letting other people ride when the belts aren't working. Anyone else experienced this?​

Are you just yanking on them or are you letting them retract a fraction of an inch and then pulling? A seatbelt won't lock up if it's simply yanked on.

When I yank and allow to retract sometimes more than an inch and then yank again. It does not lock. Any ideas why? Both are like this, it seems weird both would do this at the same time.

When I yank and allow to retract sometimes more than an inch and then yank again. It does not lock. Any ideas why? Both are like this, it seems weird both would do this at the same time.

It's not out of the realm of possibilities they both failed - at the very least, I'd send them off and have them inspected. @reevesci might be able to help you out with this one. . .seem to recall him stating that he has a shop that reworks his seat belts. Worth a shot - especially if it stops your face from imprinting against the windshield =)

Shane

You might consider getting new belts. 30 year old, sun faded nylon will have degraded in strength. OEM was pricey last I checked, if it's even available anymore. Fronts only. Rears are NLA.

There are good aftermarket options in every color imaginable.

It's not out of the realm of possibilities they both failed - at the very least, I'd send them off and have them inspected. @reevesci might be able to help you out with this one. . .seem to recall him stating that he has a shop that reworks his seat belts. Worth a shot - especially if it stops your face from imprinting against the windshield =)

Shane

My local upholster shop will re-web any seat belt. BUT! he sends them off to a tester in Salt Lake first for liability reasons of course. If a retractable seat belt has been "fired" I believe was the term my guy used or in a crash, 99% of the time they will not pass testing. He said that only a small portion of the belts he sends in for his custom customers rework passes. Jeep, bronco, or many other offroad vehicle belts he almost refuses to send anymore. Said he's only had 2 or 3 sets that have passed out of about 200 sets.. Testing is only 10$ a belt. What he usually does is find a aftermarket replacement and then will replace the webbing to the color needed for the re-build if it is an odd ball color scheme the client is going for.

You might consider getting new belts. 30 year old, sun faded nylon will have degraded in strength. OEM was pricey last I checked, if it's even available anymore. Fronts only. Rears are NLA.

This is the best way to go unless OEM like @sschruff wanted is the only acceptable end result for you. I believe the PS is still available from Mr Yota, but the DS is not... After looking at the mounting plate with Shane one day, it looks like you can drill the pin, grind the edge and replace the pin and a PS will work on the DS.

@sschruff did you try this or look at this more closely?

J

Beno found me new one for each side. But all I really had to do was clean out all the dog hair and related crap and the old ones would have resumed normal function

Has anyone done a write up on aftermarket belts? Where do you get them?

I think the PS is NLA now.. Think Shane bought 2- DS to try and convert the one over.

We need to meet up one day. Not that far apart.

J
Jason. I went thru GR the other day and thought of chasing you down but I didn't have time for a proper visit (multiple beers) so kept on a movin. .soon I hope

Jason. I went thru GR the other day and thought of chasing you down but I didn't have time for a proper visit (multiple beers) so kept on a movin. .soon I hope

The beer cooler and shop are always open to fellow MUDDERS. Just give me a little notice when you get some time.

Jason

My local upholster shop will re-web any seat belt. BUT! he sends them off to a tester in Salt Lake first for liability reasons of course. If a retractable seat belt has been "fired" I believe was the term my guy used or in a crash, 99% of the time they will not pass testing. He said that only a small portion of the belts he sends in for his custom customers rework passes. Jeep, bronco, or many other offroad vehicle belts he almost refuses to send anymore. Said he's only had 2 or 3 sets that have passed out of about 200 sets.. Testing is only 10$ a belt. What he usually does is find a aftermarket replacement and then will replace the webbing to the color needed for the re-build if it is an odd ball color scheme the client is going for.

This is the best way to go unless OEM like @sschruff wanted is the only acceptable end result for you. I believe the PS is still available from Mr Yota, but the DS is not... After looking at the mounting plate with Shane one day, it looks like you can drill the pin, grind the edge and replace the pin and a PS will work on the DS.

@sschruff did you try this or look at this more closely?

J

I'd like to send you a seat belt from a Pig for testing, can you drop me a PM? Not sure how to from the phone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom