8274 Housing opinions please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, starting my rebuild and upon close inspection I have discovered some issues that were not apparent when the winch was full of gunk and old mud and oil. I found this 1985 8274 and I am doing a complete teardown. Still not decided on powder coat or rattlecan, I really like the Rustoleum HAmmered finish.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on these and whether any of your winches have similar condition issues and how/if you think I should address them.

Thanks!

Outside of lower housing

IMG_4517 by Reed Rothchild, on Flickr

Inside of lower housing

IMG_4518 by Reed Rothchild, on Flickr

Bottom of lower case, do not see the crakcs on the inside of the case.

IMG_4519 by Reed Rothchild, on Flickr

IMG_4520 by Reed Rothchild, on Flickr

Inside of upper housing, see crack behind the large gear.

IMG_4521 by Reed Rothchild, on Flickr

Outside of upper housing, see crack along edge of tab.

IMG_4522 by Reed Rothchild, on Flickr

Also, gear in upper housing has side to side play of about 5mm, can push all the way to touch large gear on housing. Is this normal or does it indicate worn torrington bearings in the housing that would require replacement?

I notice Gigglepin has a shaft replacement kit with bushings and a screw, has anyone used the kit?

Does anyone know if the bolts holding the plastic retainer on the 68608 motor are new mounting bolts or if they're weak and just to ensure the motor arrives in one piece?

IMG_4547 by Reed Rothchild, on Flickr

You remove the retainer

I notice Gigglepin has a shaft replacement kit with bushings and a screw, has anyone used the kit?
The shaft is readily available from McMaster Carr. The bearings are stock items at most bearing stores.

Pic of old shaft and bearings:

New shaft, bearing, thrust washer (if you want to use one):

I know the plastic retainer comes out, my question was whether the bolts they come with are used to mount the motor. i got a quick reply from Warn, was told the bolts are good for mounting the motor to the winch.

The shaft is readily available from McMaster Carr. The bearings are stock items at most bearing stores.

Pic of old shaft and bearings:

New shaft, bearing, thrust washer (if you want to use one):

Thanks, the thrust washer is a good idea.

I went to a welder and was discouraged because he told me that this casting would be unstable when heated to make the repairs I requested. He recommended that I just use it until it fails.

He also told me I could use a large c clamp to hold the case closed and prevent the crack at the top housing edge from cracking further. I think that using Right Stuff which is rock solid would eliminate the need to clamp the housing.

I emailed Warn to see if they could send me info on the case material to determine if it can be welded.

Yeah, I saw a few threads with welded cases. I'm going to get it sandblasted and then find another welder.

I ordered some new housings, unfortunately they have to be returned because the upper and lower housings don't fit together properly.

Quality is nowhere near that of the old housings. Note the impurities that were caught in the paint.

IMG_4606 by Reed Rothchild, on Flickr

This side looks ok

IMG_4611 by Reed Rothchild, on Flickr

This side is not so ok.

IMG_4612 by Reed Rothchild, on Flickr

IMG_4613 by Reed Rothchild, on Flickr

Does someone with a complete 8274-50 notice that the casting is very poor, or was I scammed with knockoff parts?

IMG_4604 by Reed Rothchild, on Flickr

IMG_4608 by Reed Rothchild, on Flickr

You were scammed. Warns quality is not that poor

I'd definitely be contacting the seller and/or Warn customer service. They look like parts that slipped past QC both before and after paint.

Yeah, I'm returning the parts and I emailed pics to Warn to see if these may be fakes.

Getting my old housing welded at a different shop, and Warn emailed me back, the casting is A380 Aluminum

find a welder that will do it. I have an old unit like you and welded on it no problem. You have to grind out the crack usually to get rid of the oil. Then a good tig welder can close it back up. At the same time weld on a drain and fill port so you can change the oil without removing the winch.

This company works on castings all day long so I think it's in good hands. They will media blast the parts first then grind, then fill the crack at the mounting tab.

I'll post pics when I get it back.

Verdict from my pics came in from Warn and they are not concerned with the parts being knock offs.

Second 8274-50 set came in and will be ok, not perfect, but the housing seals together better than the last set so I'll use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom