71 FJ Build- "UGLY BETTY" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ANTFJ

look at that!! awesome. i love the carbon fiber

Thanks! Good to hear from you I was not very motivated to post when all I was doing was waiting and pulling my hair out!

Its great driving it here cause everyone wonders what it is

I had a small payback from the FJ when I went and got Road Tax for it --- since it is a historic vehicle the road tax was totally free!

it is paid every 6 mos or yearly and for a new v8 land cruiser it is 250 pounds for 6 mos!

Finally the doors

And finally the doors go on......All the body alignments still need tweaking and some weatherstrips around the doors and windows, felt is new though
SAM_0107.jpg
SAM_0110.jpg
SAM_0111.jpg

Goods good...I am currently going through the same process and loving every minute...

magazine shoot

Today I had a good day out, I had emailed a 4x4 magazine with photos of my rig and the editor has come out and done a photo shoot for a feature article with my 40 and a 60th anniversary edition LandCruiser

Went to a local sandy road through the Forest near my house where vehicle traffic is allowed

if everything goes right it should be in the Sept issue:)

(by the way ---this is the UK magazine)

here's a link if anyone is interested
http://www.4x4i.com/

pics

pics yes, royalties ummmm ;p, wont be any of those I am afraid:crybaby:

now Ugly Betty has a portfolio her career will take off and she will forget all about me :lol::lol::lol:

The link won't open for me...? Nice build, hope to see the pics from the shoot.

Time for a Diesel

Well the time has come, I am off for a work trip but Betty has gon for a Diesel/5 speed implant

The engine I have had for about a year chasing parts for it and to mate the 1-HDT to an H-55 five speed but it is finally underway

This install is being done for me by someone who has already done one and I got to see that install so I am confident about the results.

I havent made any posts in a long time as I have had a busy couple of years so wanted to get back on and do a quick update and have a look at how all the builds I had been following were doing

I even let my star expire----for shame!!!:censor:
But I got my star back today:clap:

1hdt swap is complete!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...-sorting-out-bits-1hdt-h55-2.html#post7648140

DSCN0289.AVI - YouTube

okay finally---Ugly Betty is now a TURBO TERROR! :)

1hdt, 5 speed, electric fan, 80 series pump running the saginaw
transfer case drum parking brake

I have had a fun couple days driving it---the power is really great, took it out in the forest today and could go along in 4 lo in 4th at about 20 mph

in hi 2wd 1st is a granny, 2nd is like a first and it takes off in third with a big rush of speed and pulls strong all the way up

the 5 speed lets me cruise comfortably with 33 inch tires

it sounds great--i will post a you tube vid after it is uploaded---if I am not out driving!

had a lot of help on the site so thanks to all who posted to help me out I would of never even attempted it without MUD but wow what a difference:)
1hdt.jpg
shift.jpg
side.jpg

Last edited:
SOLD

Well I sold Betty :crybaby:

Getting to the point in life where I need to roll back on projects like that but I am glad that I got to own a 40

still IMHO the best 4x4 of all, some great times and did most of what I wanted to accomplish on her

Thanks for all the helpful advice and friendship :cheers:

For your projects I envy the scheming and dreaming on mods and the joy of victory as well as the agony of defeat--you know what I mean :lol:

On the other hand still love 4 x 4 and still an outdoorsman so I just plonked down on a 2013 Tacoma double cab 4 x 4. More than enough for the milder stuff and camping etc. I pick that up next week.

Who knows maybe the :princess: or someone other than the dog will ride with me now? But I will miss it, yup I will miss it

Moving to the TACO forum but lurking here from time to time

take care all!

bill!! say it ain't so!

make sure you visit here often... and give me a ring if you're ever back in the states

Well I sold Betty :crybaby:

Getting to the point in life where I need to roll back on projects like that but I am glad that I got to own a 40

still IMHO the best 4x4 of all, some great times and did most of what I wanted to accomplish on her

Thanks for all the helpful advice and friendship :cheers:

For your projects I envy the scheming and dreaming on mods and the joy of victory as well as the agony of defeat--you know what I mean :lol:

On the other hand still love 4 x 4 and still an outdoorsman so I just plonked down on a 2013 Tacoma double cab 4 x 4. More than enough for the milder stuff and camping etc. I pick that up next week.

Who knows maybe the :princess: or someone other than the dog will ride with me now? But I will miss it, yup I will miss it

Moving to the TACO forum but lurking here from time to time

take care all!

Betty is still alive and kicking!
A couple of months ago I bought Betty from a guy from Belgium. He bought the truck from a guy bsmith123 sold the car to. The story was that Betty was overheated and now have a blown head gasket.
I have a lot of plans with her:
- switch the 1HDT for an 1HZ. This 1HDT is smokey, has some blow by, is leaky and too nervous. Also too powerful for the H55 IMO.
- brakes and brake booster from a 60 (now the brakes are sh*t)
- full floating rear axle from a BJ45
- diffs from a HJ60 with the 3.83 ratio (less refs) Now the first gear is too short icw the H55 ratio
- Automatic locker front, LSD rear
And some other stuff and goodies.
I'll keep you posted and make soms pictures.

And my thanks to bsmith123 for the work he put into Betty!

Ah, how nice to catch up with Betty, sounds like you have some great plans and I am looking forward to her getting better and better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom