70 series "revised body work" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

flx

SILVER Star
Threads
Wasn't expecting Toyota to announce the update of the 70 series at the beginning of the new Prado intro.
They said very few about it but still can interpret quite a bit from what they said and pictures.

1690940659690.png

1690940667603.png

1690940695582.png

Replay:

Looks like a W2A intercooler for the 1GD from that pic.

Seems the Australian will have the choice between the 1GD and 1VD.
I guess in petrol world the 1GR should also stay available as it's still available on the 300.
The question is for the 1HZ ? Is-it the end of the 1HZ ???

1GD engine is euro6 and currently available in Europe in the GDJ150, so it could come back to Europe with this engine. Would need to also have all the minimum active driving safety... That the part I don't know if it is possible to propose it with that level of equipment even if it has a radar and camera....

Not a big fan of the high bonnet but I guess it's for pedestrian collisions...
Not a fan also of the indicators trying to remember the old ones... Actually it could be an issue for pedestrian collision in Europe.

Does Toyota not realize they could have saved a ton of development cash if they'd just bring the updated 70 series to the US?

Does Toyota not realize they could have saved a ton of development cash if they'd just bring the updated 70 series to the US?
How could have this saved development cash?
Any new market is a high cost to pass the homologation.

The US has some mandatory crash tests for light vehicles that are very specific and different than anything else in other markets. The NHTSA 35mph front barrier crash is very hard to pass for a car that was not designed for at the origin, it's literally millions to invest to adapt a car to pass this test.

Correct,

Added to that the sad fact that year after year, copious numbers of 70 Series Land Cruisers are destined to be delivered to one of their primary users: military and paramilitary forces all over the world as the 70 Series count among the very few options still readily and inexpensively convertible into technicals. Radically changing one of the last old designs to suit a marginal and already competitive market like North America would practically end the long established (and irreplaceable) notion of commonality, universality of operation/modification, and the much needed simplicity, serviceability, and availability of robust parts' supply chains, particularly in locations where the 70s are commonly operated: conflict zones.

That's why Toyota resisted updating the 70 series in terms of safety and emissions for a very long time, and when they finally issued the updates, they were always careful not to alter the type short of what it absolutely necessary for the time, maximizing the 'backward compatibility' as much as possible . There is a reason the 70 series is still more or less unchanged from the firewall back. Yes, numerous changes took place over the years, but as a whole, for a vehicle that has been actively in production for 4O years, it is practically unchanged.

BTW, this is just an opinion based on my observations.
How could have this saved development cash?
Any new market is a high cost to pass the homologation.

The US has some mandatory crash tests for light vehicles that are very specific and different than anything else in other markets. The NHTSA 35mph front barrier crash is very hard to pass for a car that was not designed for at the origin, it's literally millions to invest to adapt a car to pass this test.

Last edited:
I think the new Prado is quite nice looking, particularly with the rectangular headlight. At least it's homogeneous and does not look made of a bits from different eras and sizes like the new 70.
Right, I understand that. If this was the new Prado for overseas or the new 4runner, I’d be cool about it.

The fact this is that this is the Land Cruiser return to the US and all the iconic teasers with the 40 series and 62 series. I mean Jeep has its stuff, the bronco is going gangbusters right now…for the last couple years. The hype train on the bronco was real on ih8mud.

We all figured it would be a Prado, but man Toyota can you just make another removable top Land Cruiser in 2 door or 4 door ala the Heep/Bronco.

Well as ugly as that front end is, an ARB or something will certainly help. And to that, I’d way rather have the 70 series update than the FJ4pradobroncrunner that the US got.

View attachment 3390395

That front end could use the equivalent of a birqua

Regarding the updated 70 body work.....I have a 25 year wait until I could even think about importing one at the current rate.....I'm pretty sure I could put up with it if I'm still around.

It is the new Prado for oversea and the entire world. And probably the new 4runner also.
4R disappeared in Europe with the introduction of the 90 serie, would make sense that the 250 replaces it in the US.

Toyota makes world vehicles, the Wrangler and Bronco and all their crazy options are almost a US only thing.

The US stopped getting the Land Cruiser after 1997 basically. The end.

Look at what Chevrolet calls the Blazer now. Toyota is just following suit albeit a few things do make it stand out such as a rear locker.

I am referring to the end of the FZJ80 import into the US.
I got that but that does not explain why the 80 series would be more a LC than the 100.
The 100 is a majestic Land Cruiser.

The Land Cruiser never was a vehicle for entertaining rock crawling. As the name suggest the target is to carry things or people far away over any terrain. And for that mission when carrying people an IFS is very well suited and offer a lot better road behavior/safety. Even allow to drive faster on pistes than a front axle.
Keep the rigid axle and leaves for the utilitarian versions that needs to be cheap and will often be overloaded.

It is the new Prado for oversea and the entire world. And probably the new 4runner also.
4R disappeared in Europe with the introduction of the 90 serie, would make sense that the 250 replaces it in the US.

Toyota makes world vehicles, the Wrangler and Bronco and all their crazy options are almost a US only thing.

Yeah the bummer is the 70 series is STILL a world vehicle minus the US.

I get we never got the 70 series, but we did get all the other series 300 included with different options. Looks like Toyota is upping the safety reqs for the 70 series, it would then have to do all the nhtsa and dot/epa stuff and whatever else required.

Toyota, you won’t bring the new 70 series to
The US?

CC0A23A3-E388-44B4-9472-2D92D3A2F26F.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom