69 FJ40 - should I take the plunge? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All! A friend is selling is 69 FJ40 for $2400. 100k miles, decent shape. My friend thinks it's got an F2 engine. I've read up a bit, I can't really identify it. The cast stamp is 20417, so that'd be a 1972 motor in a 1969? Right?

Continuing... It's not been driven consistently for 5-6 years and he's had it for 12 total. Definitely not original, but my intentions at the moment are for a driver. It looks like it's been painted but appears to have little rust, aside from the rear sill, the passenger side door, drivers side floor pan (a few small holes) and light surface rust on the underside.

It's got a few mechanical issues, D side brake pulls and locked up on me for a while, has a slight lope in the engine idle that went away after it warmed up, oil pan and valve head seals leaking and the fan and water pump bearings are noisy. Electrical is sorted though...even has power seats from a supra, they're comfy. I haven't seen the hard top yet but I'm guessing it's in similar shape.

Thoughts? Would I be stupid to pass this up? Or is it teeming with problems that I can't recognize? I'd love some opinions on this, I've always wanted an FJ40 and I feel like this may be a good time to get one. Plus, I kinda want to join the club. :cheers:

The rest of the pics and high rez versions here: http://imgur.com/a/ISoMk

http://i.imgur.com/p50nh.jpg

yep. sounds like it has issues. buy it.

yep. sounds like it has issues. buy it.

LOL! See, this is how I feel. Course, wifey lady and new baby are a factor. I can see this turning into another restoration project in a few years...but for today, I want to drive it around town.

We're a Toyota Family...wife has a Scion tC (for sale), I had a 98 Tacoma 4x4 (Little Pepe....it was crushed by Toyota due to a rusty frame) and currently have a 2008 Tacoma 4x4 (for sale - 6MT, TRD, Black). Also restored a 72 Fiat Spider a few years back. Looking into the engine bay of the FJ makes the old Fiat seem like a cheap piece of junk. Which it most was.

A family car is in our future...and hopefully an FJ along side it.

Re: identifying the engine...I see the cast date. Should that still mean it's an F? I still haven't found the definitive way to identify the F motor, but my search foo on this forum may be lacking.

GjW6V.jpg

8SkXd.jpg

Looks like a good start....what more do you want?
1) Runs..sorta when warm.
2) Stops...sorta pulls to the left
3) Rusty in the normal places...like most of them.
4) Leaking...sorta normal...

You get the picture...

my sill is worse

possibly look into a brake booster and a dual master cylinder - ditch the carburetor for an Aisin

there is some creative wiring on it :rolleyes:

install a radiator overflow bottle, run it and enjoy :steer: (price sounds right to me)

Sounds like a good deal to me. Yes, it has a few issues and several changes have been made from original. But it is in very good condition to start with--starts, runs, stops, has normal rust spot, and overall above average condition. Think the engine, transmission and transfer have all been updated. Transfer is later style, yet one part of the early vac shift system is still on firewall (SOR p 072 #13). Price sounds good; think you would regret letting it slip by you. Put it this way; if you pass on it, post location.

It's a 1F engine, not a 2F.

Interesting dash pads -- I don't think I've ever seen them painted tan before.

From the pics, and if the engine and trans. are overall okay, the price seems appropriate.

Greg, thank you, that was a big question. Just curious, how can you tell it's a 1F? I looked around a while and didn't find a definitive guide.

Re: dash pads - They must have been painted to match the interior work that was done at some point in the past.

It's a 1F engine, not a 2F.

Interesting dash pads -- I don't think I've ever seen them painted tan before.

From the pics, and if the engine and trans. are overall okay, the price seems appropriate.

http://www.cruiserparts.com/faq.html

this is a link to frame and eng number production dates

normally pre 75 would have a 1f but your number looks like a 2f

check it out

also take a shot from the top and sides of the motor ---there are some visual differences

Sounds like a good deal to me. Yes, it has a few issues and several changes have been made from original. But it is in very good condition to start with--starts, runs, stops, has normal rust spot, and overall above average condition. Think the engine, transmission and transfer have all been updated. Transfer is later style, yet one part of the early vac shift system is still on firewall (SOR p 072 #13). Price sounds good; think you would regret letting it slip by you. Put it this way; if you pass on it, post location.

That's awesome. SOR looks to be the place to get everything. I knew I came to the right forum.

A lot of the knobs on the dash aren't connected, I'm assuming that has something to do with that vac system removed and the updates it's had. I couldn't figure out what they all did, aside from the choke, which is also disconnected in favor of an automatic choke. I prefer a manual choke personally. I wish I had it close where I could go out and look again, it's 2 hours away.

Going to check out the hard top this weekend (it's an hour away the opposite direction). Also going to get my $$ ready, just in case.

dash

well you may well find a front and rear heater knob
hand throttle
hazards
wipers
inside light
choke
iirc the vacuum shift was below the dash near the heater but if you search on dash controls you will find some with everything labeled

also in the FSM

you can look at it on coolermans site

"...SOR looks to be the place to get everything..." Though I have bought a lot of parts from them, the best place to look first is the classified section and the vendors here on mud. Go to SOR site and use as a visual guide; as mentioned, the FSM are available on coolerman's site.

Now, why haven't you gone to get it? Only a two hour drive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom