35" Tires. Ring and Pinion or 10% T-Case Gears? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got 35" on and the front driveline coming.

I know R+P gears (I believe 4.88 is the correct set) is the standard way to go but some guys do the 10% T-Case gears instead. How much cheaper is it to go this route after labor etc? Is it a band-aid solution or is it preferred to solve the issue with T-Case gears?

Thanks for the help.

The price for the Sumo Gear 10% underdrive gear set runs $505 from Cruiser TEQ. Labor varies from shop to shop, I would call around and see what the going rate at several different shops in your area are.

Also, I have seen some fellow 80 series owners install their own. One person that comes to mind is @BayArea80, it is not very detailed but gives you an idea if you want tackle it yourself and save you some coin.

I am have talked to him a few times about it and he loves the underdrive gear set.

If you are in fact using 35 inch tires that is a 12% increase over stock. So with the 10% underdrive gears you should be back to the correct speed readings on your speedometer and a better place in the power band as well.

Last edited:
Changing out the t-case gears is less invasive than swapping axle gears, but axles usually need love (maintenance) where the t-case rarely does, so you can knock out two jobs at once if you go with axle gears. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, it usually comes down to your personal situation to determine the right path for you. There are a few threads that address the pros and cons to both.

Agree, I have only done the transfer case gears so far, but I am happy with them (did both low and high range, while I was in there). Now I still have the option to do axles if I want more. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I was scared of the transfer case for some reason. I couldn't find anyone to do it for me locally, so I went for it. Really not bad at all, ans easier if you only do high range. I went ahead and spent (wasted according to some) the extra time and money and did all the bearings and seals while i was at it. Only real issue I ran in to is in my exuberance to replace every part that Toyota still sells, and to respect that "one time use" note in the FSM, I found one of the snap rings in the parts listing is wrong. Several of us have tried to find the right part number and failed. I just re-used the old one after a lot of research and parts ordering.

Jason

I have 35s and stock rear end gears. I'm also evaluating the t case gears. I'm considering a full t case rebuild and adding the crawl gears. Seems to be the most bang for your buck and get a fresh t-case out of the deal. @cruiseroutfit has t-cases on the shelf ready to go from what I understand.

I may go 37's at some point. I have a 4" Dobinsons lift. Would 37s fit?

Agree, I have only done the transfer case gears so far, but I am happy with them (did both low and high range, while I was in there). Now I still have the option to do axles if I want more. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I was scared of the transfer case for some reason. I couldn't find anyone to do it for me locally, so I went for it. Really not bad at all, ans easier if you only do high range. I went ahead and spent (wasted according to some) the extra time and money and did all the bearings and seals while i was at it. Only real issue I ran in to is in my exuberance to replace every part that Toyota still sells, and to respect that "one time use" note in the FSM, I found one of the snap rings in the parts listing is wrong. Several of us have tried to find the right part number and failed. I just re-used the old one after a lot of research and parts ordering.

Jason
Any noise from the tcase with the new gears?

Any noise from the tcase with the new gears?

Yes, little bit of a whine, more noticeable when cold. If you're old enough to remember radio whine / ignition noise, a light background version of that is a good description. It's not major, and not something I would expect to be an issue for someone who would lift a vehicle and put it on A/T / mud tires.

Jason

Over 4yrs with mine installed. Been very happy

Last edited:
I have 35s and stock rear end gears. I'm also evaluating the t case gears. I'm considering a full t case rebuild and adding the crawl gears. Seems to be the most bang for your buck and get a fresh t-case out of the deal. @cruiseroutfit has t-cases on the shelf ready to go from what I understand.

Yup :cool:

436965AD-400F-47B2-AADB-67739FFAF26D.png

8AD521E5-AEC2-48CA-9E2F-786F45B2FAAC.jpeg

I am going with 488s because it only made sense since the work had to be done anyways to install Eaton lockers. However, I did ask this question to the gear expert and this was the response. “Regearing the diffs is the best place to balance out the driveline torque throughout the whole drivetrain.....you have an auto so the 488 gear change is welcomed with larger tires. the highway is ok with 488s.....the 488s offroad will mean you have regained control and can go slower and less bumpiness. You might consider the transfercase regear if you go to 35" or larger.” So if I end up going larger than the 34” I am running today I would also do the TC. Hopes this helps.

I may go 37's at some point. I have a 4" Dobinsons lift. Would 37s fit?
The lift size doesn’t matter when it comes to fitting tires. But if you have the inkling that you may go to 37s, just do 5.29s. It’s not worth the money to do 4.88s in my opinion. They’re fine with 35s but supper annoying with 37.

I'm on 35's, planning to do the high range underdrive and low range crawl gears. If I go to 37's I will tackle the diffs at that time.

I found one of the snap rings in the parts listing is wrong. Several of us have tried to find the right part number and failed. I just re-used the old one after a lot of research and parts ordering.

Jason

Which snap-ring?

One of the first things I did on my 97 LX450 was 4.88 gears. I had already had 35s. Later on I had the 3.1 low range gears installed in my transfer case, and I just wish I had done that sooner. It's a joy to wheel the rocks now.
It's my daily driver and does regular highway trips with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom