Pinion yoke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace my pinion yoke on the front diff due to the previous owner's modifications, my question is, am I fine to just pull the yoke and re install the new one, or will I need to make any adjustments? I’ll be replacing the seals etc. but I do not want to open a can of worms by having to pull the 3rd member and re shim.

IMG_4972.jpeg

Should be fine.. I've done it before when replacing the pinion seal with no problems.

Do you have a solid pinion spacer or crush sleeve? The pinion bearings need to be properly setup.
I don’t know, like I said, wasn’t planning on opening up the 3rd member or touching the gears, just pulling the yoke and replacing. If I’m pulling the gears out I would regear, shim etc, that’s kind of where I’m at, do I need to do any of that for the yoke. Assuming I don’t do anything to mess with the spacing/shim would the crush sleeve be affected?

The nice thing about having a solid pinion spacer is being able to just zip off the nut and flange, change your seal or flange and torque it back on. The shims set the preload.

The crush sleeve crushes and sets the load. You're "supposed" to replace it every time. However, many people don't. They mark the nut and make sure to put it back on in the same spot. IDK if you could effectively do that since you are replacing the flange. I've done it with just a seal change and never had a problem. I rebuild my diffs with solid spacers for this reason.

The nice thing about having a solid pinion spacer is being able to just zip off the nut and flange, change your seal or flange and torque it back on. The shims set the preload.

The crush sleeve crushes and sets the load. You're "supposed" to replace it every time. However, many people don't. They mark the nut and make sure to put it back on in the same spot. IDK if you could effectively do that since you are replacing the flange. I've done it with just a seal change and never had a problem. I rebuild my diffs with solid spacers for this reason.
When I do the gears I’ll likely do the solid spacer. Until I get the money and time I just want the damn vibrations gone. It also turns out that it is just the rear shaft that is out of whack, just removed it and test drive with zero shudder or vibrations. My double cardon shaft gets here tomorrow! Appreciate the replies as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom