2nd group buy on DT Headers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read all about the group buy on the headers and would really like to have a set. I called Doug Thorley today and talked to Nick. He said they don't have any in stock and didn't see making any more unless we wanted to do another group buy. Would any body else be interested? Does any one know of another company that makes headers for the 100's? Mine is my wifes daily driver and she doesn't really complain about the annoying ticking noise when ever you leave a stop light but if I have to drive it like that again I am going to wear a mask to avoid being seen. I will call nick again in the morning to see how many he would need to do it again. Since they already have the design I wouldn't think we would need as many people this time. Let me know what you think.

I read all about the group buy on the headers and would really like to have a set. I called Doug Thorley today and talked to Nick. He said they don't have any in stock and didn't see making any more unless we wanted to do another group buy. Would any body else be interested? Does any one know of another company that makes headers for the 100's? Mine is my wifes daily driver and she doesn't really complain about the annoying ticking noise when ever you leave a stop light but if I have to drive it like that again I am going to wear a mask to avoid being seen. I will call nick again in the morning to see how many he would need to do it again. Since they already have the design I wouldn't think we would need as many people this time. Let me know what you think.
That is a little ridiculous that Doug Thorley Headers are treating you like that. We helped pre pay for his R&D, mock up and first production run. Why would they not build 5 at a time and stock them. I would press Nick on this. The first twenty I understand. Then next runs should be handled by them.

So what do we do? Just start a list and when we get enough names we individually call and order our headers? Who's done this before? Like I said earlier, I will call him back in the morning and get a few more details of price and how many orders they want. He did say he would check if they had any tubes already bent for them he would have them welded up for me but he didn't seem to optimistic about it.

1. ToyFan
2. Yotato
3. Socal Cruiser? I doubt they will be cheeper but I'll ask. I thought the 1st price was pretty reasonable.

That is a little ridiculous that Doug Thorley Headers are treating you like that. We helped pre pay for his R&D, mock up and first production run. Why would they not build 5 at a time and stock them. I would press Nick on this. The first twenty I understand. Then next runs should be handled by them.

I agree. That is bull:censor:!

Im in. The reason I say it should be less expensive, is...im sure they added cost to the first group buy for R&D. Since the R&D is now complete and mock ups are done to fit our vehicles properly, the prices for fallowing buys should reflect that. I dont know maybe im just crazy, feel free to forward this to them.

Does either side crack, or is usually the passanger side or driver side?

I'll take a set :) They work on an 06 right?

I agree completely on this.

Give the guys a break. Do you really expect them to build them and have them sit? There's not a big market here. This is obvious based on the fact that there are 0 header options for the LHD 4.7L petrol outside of DT. And that didn't exist as an option until enough people committed.

We didn't subsidize anything other than a short run and we paid less than production Tundra headers IIRC. DT didn't charge a dime until they were ready to ship.

Price a single side of the crappy log jam OE manifolds and then complain to me about pricing and availabilty of the DT headers. The fact that they did a short run in the first place and are willing to again?

Yeah, drag them into the street and beat them with bricks. :hmm: And then you can convert your rig to RHD and buy the only header option available for these from OZ. :crybaby:

BTW I lived with my cracked manifold for years until these were available. I went to a reputable local shop (Stan's Headers) that does custom exhausts/headers (they have a 4.7L Tundra tube header part too) but they quoted me $2k to do a set of one-offs for the LC based on these. I paid what, $600 shipped for ceramic coated DTs? Really guys...

Last edited:
I agree completely on this.

I don't. Put yourself in his position. You have 10 hours in the day to burn an arc. Why stop the production to retool for a limited run when you know you can make money selling 3,000 LS1 headers (or whatever)? And inventory costs money in terms of tied up space and working capital. The LC/LX market is tiny in comparison.

BTW, I have two (both sides) OEM manifolds that are in perfect condition (that is they don't leak and aren't warped). 78k miles on them before taking off for the headers. Had them posted in classified, but they've dropped way off. PM me if interested if you don't want to go for headers.

We have done the same thing. I get talked into FJ60 parts all the time, then we make them, and they sit on the shelve. Not good for business. So now when enough people have come together to do a run and pre-sell at least half, we will make the parts. That way the customers get it, and we are not stuck with a bunch of dead stock.

I am sure they based their decision on the number of calls they got for them after the group buy. If the phone was ringing off the hook for 100 headers, they would make them.

I would be interested in a set if the price is not too much more than what was quoted the first round. That could make five orders.

Please let me know what you find out.

Todd

Ok guys, Glad to see all the interest. Nick (from DT) seems to be a cool guy. I talked to him again today and he said if we can get only 10 orders this time they will do another run at the same price as last time. Thats $560 plus shipping. Not bad IMO. Let me know if this list looks right. If you want your name on it copy it add it and paste it in your post. I am going to forward the list to Nick and I am hoping in a couple days we can order some headers!

1. ToyFan
2. Yotato
3. Socal Cruiser
4. SR. GRINGO
5. ToddLC

Im in. The reason I say it should be less expensive, is...im sure they added cost to the first group buy for R&D. Since the R&D is now complete and mock ups are done to fit our vehicles properly, the prices for fallowing buys should reflect that. I dont know maybe im just crazy, feel free to forward this to them.

i agree with you. I think it's BS. Whilst i have my own custom performance exhaust system installed, i'd like you to add me to any petition to these guys that are saying that they cant crank out some more headers given the previous group order.
Remind them that i am from Australia, and have heard of this...probably wont make them do anything, but if they know this news has made it all the way to Australia, then maybe they'll do something?
cheers
peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom