Builds 2F Retirement/ Vortec Resto-Fresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wonder if anyone has come across a good gear indicator display for the auto transmission...something like a simple digital indicator of some type. I saw one on some modified jeep, but never saw the reference to the part item. Something to just show what gear the transmission is in...even if it would display the gears as the transmission shifted would be nice. I may start collecting parts for an auto swap.

Good work ....I like those corvette manifolds...seems like the parts on the 5.3 and 6.0...fit nicely.

What shifter do you plan on using?

Lokar Midnight Series 16" shifter. I elected to go with the black mushroom knob.

Cam, thanks for the heads up on the bearing and adapter. I wasn't sure it looked right and I'll watch it as I proceed. It is my plan to assemble the entire drive drivetrain on the bench. Got as far as I could without having the old engine pulled yet.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got a really late start today and didn't get much done.

Anyone have a write up/advice for removing the front clip?

Last time she'll look like this for a while:

image.jpg

Started tear down
image.jpg

I don't know what the best way to remove the clip is or not but if you undo any of them make some marks so you can align them easier upon re-assembly.

I would honestly try to pull the fenders off along with the core support. Not really sure what needs to be undone to achieve that. But I've seen pictures of it being done.

Great work on the build so far. I love the paint on those manifolds.

Lokar Midnight Series 16" shifter. I elected to go with the black mushroom knob.

Cam, thanks for the heads up on the bearing and adapter. I wasn't sure it looked right and I'll watch it as I proceed. It is my plan to assemble the entire drive drivetrain on the bench. Got as far as I could without having the old engine pulled yet.

View attachment 1031564

View attachment 1031563

That's the same one I used. Do yourself a favor, and get it fully assembled and adjusted before the final install. Mark the best location on your test fit and install it out of the truck. You can unscrew the lever and put it in last.

I didn't because it looked like it would go in easily, and I ended up having to tear out the front seats and carpet to get to all the bolts.

Also, don't forget to put the rear shifter bracket on before the adapter. I think the bolts are too long to get out otherwise.

image.jpg

What are you doing for the transfer case shifter? If you go with the twin sticks, start assembling it when you put the t-case back together. Especially the high/low bracket.

I ended up modifying my stock lever to go back in the factory location and boot.

I just left the fenders and front supports on. You don't really need to take them off unless you are doing some serious restoration.

I thought it was easier to get the height and radiator clearance figured out with everything on, too.

Last edited:
this never gets old.....!!!!

:popcorn::popcorn:

thanks for posting the belt parts

I removed the hood and the radiator cross member / grill, left the fenders as is. I hope you marked the hinges on the hood ...it can really be aggravating to get lined up on install.

Sub'd since this is nearby. Hopefully you are talking with some of the guys in the club as I know that Keith did his swap in his 40 and i am pretty sure there are a couple other guys who have as well.

@cruiser enthuiser Oh and did you get the motor from BD Turnkey by chance?

Last edited:
Out With the Old

Took the advice of FJ60Cam and others and left the fenders on. Unfortunately as I was pulling things apart I found the body damage I mentioned earlier extended to the core support. I've got a line on a replacement tho. Good news is I believe the radiator must have been replaced recently as it looks like nearly new.

After several hours, much cursing, yanking, etc. I dragged the old lump out. Felt like I had wrestled a grizzly when it was done.

Goodbye spaghetti, I'll miss you least of all...

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Phew!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Sub'd since this is nearby. Hopefully you are talking with some of the guys in the club as I know that Keith did his swap in his 40 and i am pretty sure there are a couple other guys who have as well.

@cruiser enthuiser Oh and did you get the motor from BD Turnkey by chance?

Greg, it's an EBay motor. Was tempted to go with BD Turnkey. His motors are sweet but kinda spendy. I got this motor, with 79k, and the reman trans for less than one of his motors. I have talked to him about doing my harness but still figuring which way I'm going to go with the wiring.

-Ed

Last edited:
Looks like you are well prepared for your build. I'm very interested in this, as I have just started a similar project with my 62 and have been on the fence on whether or not to do a build thread or not. If I do, I hope you don't mind, just want to give back a little if I can to the forum. Good luck and have fun!

Sub'd...hopefully gonna start getting all my swap parts together soon and have the same setup. I'm just getting tired of always being in the slow lane anytime I hit any kind of incline...AND getting crappy mileage. I'd be fine with crappy mileage and good power, or even poor power with great mileage but it's just getting old...soon...soon...

And good job so far!!

Slow Going

I'm still chipping away at this thing but weather and other commitments have kept me from making tons of headway. But I have a few updates to share so here goes...

It turns out when I ordered my Lokar shifter kit I got the 4l60 (no 'e'). This is apparently the 4 bolt pattern instead of the 6 bolt pattern. This meant the rear bracket was the wrong size and I had to order the replacement. Lokar part #TRD-6559. Fortunately this is the only difference in the kit.

The smaller bracket is the correct one.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I tore into the transfer case several nights ago. I did a full rebuild on it a little over 1 year ago so I figured this would be an easy part of the build.

image.jpg

Naturally it turned into a larger project than I anticipated. Some of the gaskets that I thought would be fine to reuse have to be replaced. And frankly, the rest of the drive train is looking so new and spiffy the transfer case kind of lets it down.

So, a trip to my crappy HF parts washer...
image.jpg

Then into the blast cabinet

image.jpg

Last edited:
Now the case is looking good!
image.jpg

Added some VHT engine paint, aluminum color
image.jpg

image.jpg

In hind sight blasting the case was a lot of work and required pretty extensive cleaning to ensure all traces of the glass bead media were removed. It looks good now but not sure I would do it again.

-Ed

Started reassembling the TC. Waiting on the new gaskets but got as far as I could.

These two threads from MarkN and M1A1Cruiser made for excellent reference in addition to the FSM.

You guys tell me if something looks amiss ok?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom