2F Massive Oil Consumption is puzzling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Start with 15w40 if consumption continues try 20w50.

Sounds like you should go straight to the 20W50 and a bottle of seal sweller.

Motor Hunny!

(or other proprietary oil thickener)

t

image.jpg
Funny you brought this up today.

The oil that I have a case of is 5w/30. Way too thin. I took the 60 on a nice roadtrip this week and it drank 3 quarts in about 275 miles.

Still no visible smoke. Crazy.

I'll grab some high mileage or 20w/50 as suggested and some of that Oil Burn Lucas.

Keep on feeding her. As long as it runs good and doesn't start smoking embarrassingly......

^cool picture, the dog looks happy. @wngrog
How fast would you go before the tubes fly outta that can? :lol:

I thought I had the only two stoke 2F

^cool picture, the dog looks happy. @wngrog
How fast would you go before the tubes fly outta that can? :lol:

See, the IRS knows my FJ-60 as a tractor so I use it that way often :)

You lost 3 quarts of oil (1/4 of the engines oil capacity) over essentially one full tank of gas and you saw NO smoke?

First of all of you were burning that much oil you would have so much blowby that you wouldn't even have enough compression to run the engine.

Do you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge installed?

If you are riding behind the Cruiser you can see some smoke but nothing like you would think you would see with that much oil consumption.

No mechanical gauge.

I am going to thicken up the oil. See if I can slow it down.

I suspect you are dumping tons of thin oil in it and it's getting frothed up.

Drain/reload

The 2F in my old 79 burned about a quart every hundred miles and didn't smoke noticeably at all and it ran perfectly fine. I tore it down for a rebuild and found the cause. There was a crack in the head in the combustion chamber on number 5. The radiator leaked a little anyhow so I was always topping it off and never noticed it. But the ring seal was totally smoked on that one cylinder. The top of that piston was nice and clean too. I had a really sweet balanced and cammed 2F when I was done but it was ridiculously expensive and it was still a 2F.

If the valve stem seals are suspect, I'm surprised you don't see any smoke when you shift gears - that's when you might see a puff. I think 20w-50 (at least for test purposes) is a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom