Builds 2F + (3F-E) = 2FETI Into My FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
I just acquired another '62 for a parts rig. I pulled the OEM alternator out of it ands swapped on a single groove pulley from an earlier Cruiser alt.

Which pulley did you use? I tried this and the pulley from my 86 alt would not fit the FJ62 alternator. It was an aftermarket reman, so I wonder if that was the issue.

Which pulley did you use? I tried this and the pulley from my 86 alt would not fit the FJ62 alternator. It was an aftermarket reman, so I wonder if that was the issue.

I just grabbed the first one I came to. Probably a late '70s FJ40 unit. I have swapped pulleys from all sorts of Toy alternators and Chevy alternators and never encountered a problem. OEM and aftermarket. (Of course there are all sorts of aftermarket brands out there...) What prevented your '60 pulley from fitting you '62 alternator?

Mark...

What prevented your '60 pulley from fitting you '62 alternator?

I believe there was a difference in the shaft diameter.

The cradle/plate is been custom made to strengthen the crank to take the stresses of the water cooled turbo.

3F-ETI MULE

Yep the engine has a name thanks to Pin_Head

Put some lipstick on it and I recon it will even give BJs to pommys.

:flipoff2:

Put some lipstick on it and I recon it will even give BJs to pommys.

:flipoff2:

:D I'm a POM but no I'm not putting a 3B in their, under any circumstances, always an FJ never a BJ here :lol:

I found it easier and cheaper to use an expansion plug.

wow what kind of exaust paint did you go with to get that thick glossy look? what brand. looks great!

wow what kind of exaust paint did you go with to get that thick glossy look? what brand. looks great!

It's not paint. It's powder.

Called iin at the engine builder today, head should be finished early next week. He's also been good enough to take a few photos of the work, Will post them up as soon as I have them.

Head done picking it up Wednesday:cool:

2F-EHead5.jpg

2F-EHead9.jpg

2F-EHead1.jpg

2F-EHead12.jpg

2F-EHead13.jpg

2F-EHead7.jpg

2F-EHead8.jpg

2F-EHead14.jpg

2F-EHead6.jpg

2F-EHead2.jpg

2F-EHead10.jpg

2F-EHead11.jpg

2F-EHead3.jpg

2F-EHead4.jpg

Last edited:
Matt,
Would you post a pic of the combustion faces of the OE valves?

It would be good to show people the _large_ recess in the stock valves, particularly the 3FE intake.

Just by installing flat face valves, the CR will be raised quite a bit in the 3FE.

Matt,
Would you post a pic of the combustion faces of the OE valves?

It would be good to show people the _large_ recess in the stock valves, particularly the 3FE intake.

Just by installing flat face valves, the CR will be raised quite a bit in the 3FE.

No Problem
Before: The recessed stock 3F-E Valves, a little hard to see but you can make it out

100_1635.jpg

After: Flat faced Ferrea Winsor Valves

2F-EHead13.jpg

Last edited:
mmmm.... my head looks almost identical! did you CC the chambers? i was going to but was told it wasnt worth the effort in a 3FE. i wonder just how far off they are....

mmmm.... my head looks almost identical! did you CC the chambers? i was going to but was told it wasnt worth the effort in a 3FE. i wonder just how far off they are....

The chambers were cc'd before the work started as I wanted the compression ration to be 8.0:1 once it pick it up on Wednesday I will have all the tecnical information including the flow rates as it was tested before and after the work done.

Have you resolved issues about underhood clearance, fuel lines & tank sufficient for the increased pressure, ECM & harness routing & splicing, those kinds of things? What about gauges? Also the head is the closed chamber design, correct? Any issues with using the 2F flat top piston design? I know you've discussed opening up the combustion chambers but that was more for the turbo application, wasn't it? I am considering the 3FE head for my 40, naturally aspirated, but want someone else to do all the difficult, pioneering-type work, someone with the bucks who can afford all the expensive mistakes - my wife is complaining!

Plenty of room under a '40 hood for a 2FE. The tank is not pressurized, so that's a non-issue. The designs of the 3F, 3FE, and late model 2F pistons are all the saem so far as the combustion chamber is concerned.

There really isn't anything difficult about building a NA 2FE.

Mark...

Plenty of room under a '40 hood for a 2FE. The tank is not pressurized, so that's a non-issue. The designs of the 3F, 3FE, and late model 2F pistons are all the saem so far as the combustion chamber is concerned.

There really isn't anything difficult about building a NA 2FE.

Mark...

I'm with Mark here, I think the issues with clearence is only on the early 80 serise 3F-E converting to the longer stroke 2F block. Rather than the other way around. Can't see an issue with the 60 serise as they came first with the 2F as did the 40's.

The Turbo creates many issues from fuel supply to reliability at high boost.

If I was building a NA 2F-E I would be looking at a higher compression ratio, a lot less work to the block. But still room to experiment and using the ECU and harness from the 3F-E. Where as I will run a stand alone ECU with a harness made to suit it, Motec or Wolf still looking at options here.

I would imagin though the power gains for a de smogged NA 2F-E would be worth the effort. But if you build a NA 2F-E first you would have to start over almost to build a 2F-ETI.

I'm sure we will have some issues to over come but thats the fun of building this and the thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom