2010 4Runner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think they did a GREAT job on the 5th gen.
Mechanically, it seems to be nearly identical to the 4th gen 1GR-FE V6 (5th gen massaged more HP/TQ to bring it within a few of the 4.7L V8).
I hope that V8 tied to a 6spd is offered up in a year or so!

The glaring omission is the lack of center diff on SR5 and Trail Grade models. That is a disappointment but must be a carryover decision from the FJ Cruiser - the FJC lead was in charge of the 5th Gen.

Trail Grade:
RR diff lock
mechanical t-case lever
terrain control
crawl control
V6/5spd

Limited:
electronic t-case knob
torsen center diff
V6/5spd
all electric traction controls as TG

Trail Grade- $36500
Limited-$39000
I think a SR5 4x4 will be around $32000

nice vid of 5th gens going thru Rubicon
2010 Trail Grade Rubicon Vid - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

163_099_10z+2010_toyota_4runner+driver_side_static.jpg

Damn! I like the looks of this new Trail edition 4runner alot! Especially cool with the diff lock.
I wish my wife would of waited a year and got this one insted of her leftover 08 Sport.:frown:

Looks good to me. Kinda like they added the good stuff from the 200 and fjcruiser. Or really it's more like they fixed what a lot of people didn't like about the fjcruiser, namely the door situation. I like the slide out rear tray too. I think it'll sell very well. Especially with one of these:
2010_4runner_det_toyota_ft_500_7.jpg

I've never driven one with crawl control, but I'd be interested to see how well it works.

Last edited:
I see the '10 4R is on the Toyota site already, but only the 4.0 V6 is listed, not even the 2.7 I4. How long since a four-cylinder 4Runner?

I'm glad the V8 is not available, makes it seem over-sized (and overpriced) like the Sequoia and Land Cruiser. I just hope it hasn't put on extra weight.

ext_2010_4runner_v6_sr5_2.jpg

If it wheels and isn't overly obese the Trail version could certainly make the FJC unnecessary.

I'm glad the V8 is not available, makes it seem over-sized (and overpriced) like the Sequoia and Land Cruiser. I just hope it hasn't put on extra weight.

The truck trend article says 4762 lbs. According to the scales at the dump, my '07 V8 4wd is 4200 lbs.

The truck trend article says 4762 lbs. According to the scales at the dump, my '07 V8 4wd is 4200 lbs.

That's pretty heavy. More than an 80 series. The 09 ltd v8 is listed at 4530, so it's not a huge jump, but it has gone up a lot since the 3rd gen.

It doesn't make the fjcruiser obsolete, it just means that they need to distinguish it better... like maybe with a removable top and doors?

I wonder if we'll see a new small SUV? Probably nothing other than the rav-4.

Last edited:
That's pretty heavy. More than an 80 series. The 09 ltd v8 is listed at 4530, so it's not a huge jump, but it has gone up a lot since the 3rd gen.

It doesn't make the fjcruiser obsolete, it just means that they need to distinguish it better... like maybe with a removable top and doors?

I'd love to see more ability out of the RAV-4. My first car was a Tercel 4WD wagon with a six-speed manual. It ran FWD in the city for almost 40mpg, engaging the rear was one flick of the lever and went anywhere as long as it had the clearance. I really miss that one. :steer:

3704759882_c7e172b8cf.jpg

I love the space in my 04 Sport. It's nice to have the room, but I really don't see the point of having it and the Land Cruiser weighing in the same range. The TLC is nice, but too much for me (2009 curb weight 5690). I miss the middleweight 4Runner (I think my 04 a bit too big at times) before it got old and fat.

The V6 09 4WD came in around 4300lb, so the 2010 gained another 400lbs over the previous generation. The 4th Gen gained 400lbs over the 3rd gen. So in 2 gens it has gone up about 800lbs.

The V6 09 4WD came in around 4300lb, so the 2010 gained another 400lbs over the previous generation. The 4th Gen gained 400lbs over the 3rd gen. So in 2 gens it has gone up about 800lbs.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't making a direct comparison. That is quite a jump. It more or less went from a small to a true mid size. The tacoma is the same way I guess.

I'm on the fence, well, not really. I went with an 06 V8 sport, but was considering waiting. I figured, save the bucks and I knew I would not wheel it more than dirt roads. For me, in pics, it looks dangerously close to a Honda Pilot. I 'needed' the V8 for towing a boat so I'm a piggy in poop! I have the weird dual level rear cargo area and yes, I would trade it for the slide for sure! :)

The 200 series Landcruiser is only 3" taller, 1.5" wider, and 5" longer. There is also a 2" difference in wheel base. The 4runner has more head room, hip room, and leg room than the 200series, but less shoulder room. Overall the dimensions are very similar, except the Landcruiser has a big horsepower advantage. I'm not saying they are equivalent vehicles, but for most buyers use the differences are small.

The 2010 4runner dimensions are very similar to an 80 series. Almost identical length/width, but slightly shorter roofline.

I'm guessing they won't offer a v8 because primarily because it might cannibalize sales of the Landcruiser. I realize the LC is slightly larger and has the big v-8, but I could see a lot of potential buyer wondering if the slight size increase and extra power is really worth another $20k. Even with the v-6 I foresee some marginal buyers choosing the 4runner.

5" long and 3" tall is a big difference. 2" wb is also a big difference.
When comparing dimensions, you really have to sit in them and get a feel in person. Numbers can be misleading.

The 09 is also very similar in dimensions to an 80 series.

I bet we'll get a v8 model in 2011
.. I think you are right .. and it will likely be the new 4.6l V8.

The V8 may or may not be technically useful BUT it helps the marketers and it is all about sales!

I think they missed the boat by only offering full-time 4wd on the top/high priced model. It is comforting to know that if you hit a
slippery bit of ice or slick asphalt after a rain ... that it is there "Immediately" ... the previous multi mode seemed to have this
covered on older models. I will be looking at other options when it is time I think. Would prefer to stay Toyota but maybe time
to look at the Borrego

I hope so but I doubt it unless there is strong demand.
The much tighter overall mpg requirements means the 4.6 may just see the GX460's engine bay.

5" long and 3" tall is a big difference. 2" wb is also a big difference.
When comparing dimensions, you really have to sit in them and get a feel in person. Numbers can be misleading.

The 09 is also very similar in dimensions to an 80 series.

2" wheelbase is a big difference? There was almost that much difference between early and late 80 series. Can you tell the difference? I can't. Obviously I haven't been able to sit in a 2010 4runner yet, so we'll see how roomy they are.

Also I was looking at a 2wd. The 4wd 4runner is taller than both the 200 series and the 80 series. IMO the 80 series is kind of the sweet spot for a mid-size SUV. Nothing wrong with building one that size.

I'm not saying they are identical, but I'd guess that a lot of people looking at a 200 series will also test drive a ltd. 4runner. Even more so if the 4runner had a v8. That's why I'd be surprised to see the v-8.

2" wheelbase is a big difference? There was almost that much difference between early and late 80 series. Can you tell the difference? I can't. Obviously I haven't been able to sit in a 2010 4runner yet, so we'll see how roomy they are.

Also I was looking at a 2wd. The 4wd 4runner is taller than both the 200 series and the 80 series. IMO the 80 series is kind of the sweet spot for a mid-size SUV. Nothing wrong with building one that size.

I'm not saying they are identical, but I'd guess that a lot of people looking at a 200 series will also test drive a ltd. 4runner. Even more so if the 4runner had a v8. That's why I'd be surprised to see the v-8.

I thought all 80's were 112" wb

the only compromise on the 80 is interior length due to the I-6.

Current 4Runners have awd/V8 and similar dimensions- near identical as the '10 4Runner.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the 4Runner. Is that what you're getting from my comments?
I actually love the redesign.

All 80 series had 112" WB, AFAIK. The 4r is lookin' good, IMHO.

I thought all 80's were 112" wb

the only compromise on the 80 is interior length due to the I-6.

Current 4Runners have awd/V8 and similar dimensions- near identical as the '10 4Runner.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the 4Runner. Is that what you're getting from my comments?
I actually love the redesign.

I apologize. I remember when the 05 was released and I argued with someone that it was a pretty close size to the 80 series and they said that it was a big difference.

I have a 3rd gen now as a DD and I've always wanted an 80. My brother has a nice 97 with lockers. I've always had a bit of 80 envy. Most of us 4runner owners secretly do. I almost bought one instead of 4runner, but I just can't justify the mileage when I already have an fj40 for wheeling. The new 4runner seems to fit the bill as much as possible as a 80 series size with better mileage but a bit less offroad capability.

I'm kinda interested to see what they do with the GX. It's overdue for a body style update, although I do like the way they look.

doh. I missread the specs. The were all the same wheel base. The early 80's were 188.2" over all length and later were 189.6".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom