1996 Black Toyota Land Cruiser 94k Miles (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

man.. I could go for a repaint for $250 :)
looking good !

Thanks for the compliments guys!
95LC - its way too nice for me to take off road right now we'll see how badly the streets of boston destroy the paint in the next year or so :bang:

Mickeyt - I am not thinking about doing too much more too it right away, however the long term goal is still to put on a 2" Iron man lift and upgrade the front and rear bumpers and install some factory looking side step sliders. for right now though im happy with how clean it is!

timer00 - I couldnt believe they got the insurance to cover so much, i mean the whole truck had original paint that, while it was in excellent shape for the age it still had a whole bunch of little paint defects just from being around and driven for such a long time. i mean i only paid a little over 7 for the whole truck and it had nearly 5 grand worth of work done just to the body!

Motleyone - it'll be hard to watch it get hammered with salt this winter, last year and the year before it was garage kept in the winter time, or at least when it snowed, this year i bought a highrise condo where i dont have parking, and im not sure if i'll spend the 400 a month yet to keep the LC out of the elements, we'll see though may be worth it :hmm:

:cool: SHARP!

The front and rear aftermarket clear lenses really set off the truck.

Keep her waxed up!

i do recommend to everyone who is looking in the north east though take a look at the southern states, having a totally rust free cruiser is a real bonus up here!

Hey, knock that kinda talk off. We don't need it to get any harder to find nice rigs down here. Ya'll keep that rusty business up there. ;p

That is a damn nice truck. Very good price on it as well. I am surprised the insurance agent didn't just total the truck after seeing the repair bill. Glad you got it fixed.

Haha i'll never buy a car or truck from the north east again? Thr this one, so nice not to worry about rusted everything!

Hey mine sat in Yonkers NY for the majority of its life and hardly any surface rust underneath.. me thinks they must have garaged it alot.. considering it was 100k 94 truck :) :p

Do you have a part number for the spacers? No vibration issues with them? Also: are you running the 305s or the 315s?

Your pics take me back....now mine's got a ton of brush "pinstripes", a couple dings, and other imperfections on every panel - part of the reason I bought the LX450 is to get my black one back to super "street queen clean" - might even just put all terrains on it next time, that's how much I want to keep it nice for when I get reeeeeeaaal old - so I can have a 30 year old 80 we look at like when you see a cherry 40 nowdays.

I don't blame you in the least for not off-roading that thing, it's too nice to get bashed like most of us have done. Grease those bolts & like others have said - POR-15 paint on the underside will keep the salt issues pretty well in check, I'd even leave a gardenhose/lawn sprinkler (the arched arm type that shoot verically back & fourth) setup just to rinse the salt like how you get super gobbed mud off an underside, once each freeze session is over.

I know it sounds pointless, but really grease all the suspension bolts, especially if you add a small lift - and all the threaded steering components too (tie rod ends & the threaded rods) - doing this will make this near THE benchmark 80 all the rest of us with our dented, rusted, smelly, worn & loose 80's would look at & think back to what alot of us started with.

At least my black ones' interior is really nice paint needs mega work though, but the LX450 is never going to be nice again - so I hope you really do keep this as a "streeter" more than anything, it's just so nice to go do the kind of things so many of us do with our 80's.

As nice as yours is, it'll be tough to find a replacement in even a few short years - think how many of us have done things that are near irreversable to ours - making ones like yours a desirable unit because you didn't beat on & add all sorts of funky stuff like us who will be hunting for things we can cannabalize in the near future.

Some may think you "need" _____, but yours just as is cool, and 305's are just small enough you don't feel the need to regear, and it's all a slippery slope from there. Here's hoping you keep it just as sharp & near factory as it sits!

Hey Linus,

Thanks for the compliments, yeah i keep toying with the idea of getting a lift and then buying some 315's or 345's but the issue is i really hardly even drive the car as is, i put on around 3-4k miles a year MAX. so keeping the car stock and just keeping it maintained properly its enough for me.

i am considering putting on some undercoating to keep the rust off though, is there a particular process that is best for rust prevention type of application?

I'd go to a coin-op place & pressure wash the crap out of the underside, then with the timing right (ideally next spring or early summer) - get a set of stands, a floor jack, and at a minimum pull the lower shock bolts in the rear & grease those, then work bolts that are captiured nuts to the frame so you never snap one of those.

Once it's dry & ~ 70* you could mask off the outer part of the flares & find some good undercoating that really dries to rubber (SEM brand is my favorite) - get the east coast guys to give you a lesson in where to put it all, all I know here in WA is we pull the rear lower tailgate carpet & drop about 20 drops of oil in the pinch seam at the bottom to prevent rustout, and I personally pulled my rear glass, coated the valley of the seal in black RTV & popped it back in place to quit getting that annoying water stain that eventually eats the lower left corner of the upper tailgate where it seals since water seems to sit in the seal.

I just never lived out east with my 80, so IDK where the rust prone spots are for the salt belt - greasing the underside bolts is the biggie to me - we get issues w/ that just from freshwater here in WA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom