1991 Blower Motor question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been looking around and can't find the answer. There are two type of blower motors it appears, one with A/C (discontinued) and one without. I prefer to stay with OEM. Rockauto has the Four Season motor w/ AC for sale without the fan only (go figure) but OEM has the fan only w/ AC for sale but no motor.

Anyone install the below No A/C Blower on a A/C FJ80? Any idea what the difference could be?

1612126878010.png

1612127368048.png

View attachment 2573275

8710360150 MOTOR SUB-ASSY, HEATER BLOWER, W/FAN / FJ80, FZJ80 W(AIR CONDITIONER) 01.1990 - 01.1998
Substitution: Part Number: 8710360140
Supersession(s): 87103-60140; 8710360150; 8710460240

No longer available

8710326020 MOTOR SUB-ASSY, HEATER BLOWER, W/FAN / FJ80, FZJ80 / 01.1990 - 01.1998
Part Number: 8710326020
Supersession(s): 87103-26020; 8710320030; 8710360130

Available in Stock

HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING - HEATER UNIT & BLOWER. 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser VIN starts with 4.0L A/T | Toyota - https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_1991_Land-Cruiser-VIN-starts-with--40L-AT/_72801_6723446/HEATING--AIR-CONDITIONING---HEATER-UNIT--BLOWER/791440-8712.html

Toyota only lists one blower assembly for my VIN, I am going to stick with 87103-26020 (in stock) and assume the other is some overseas model bulls***. I'll let you know how it works.
Bumping this thread...did 8710326020 end up working for you? If not, why did you go with another product and which one (specifically)?

Thanks

I'm also curious. I ruined my original blower motor trying to disassemble it. I ordered a used one from ebay and it is SO noisy. I am hoping there is a decent solution because it is annoyingly noisy now.

Yep. I cleaned out all the debris in my blower a few years back hoping it would quiet the whisking sound. Didn't help and now the 1st speed of blower is almost non-existent. 25 yrs old so it's to be expected.

Ended up getting Four Seasons 35356 motor (per op) and the OE blower 8710520110. Would have preferred OE on all of it but so it goes...

Bumping this thread...did 8710326020 end up working for you? If not, why did you go with another product and which one (specifically)?

Thanks
I ended up going with the 4 seasons from Rock Auto.

Other than the electrical connector being different it fit and works perfectly. For the electrical connector I just put two spade connectors on the 4 seasons unit and plugged them into the factory harness. Just pay attention to the polarity, if you put them spades in the wrong way the motor will spin backwards which reduces air flow by a lot.

I ended up going with the 4 seasons from Rock Auto.

Other than the electrical connector being different it fit and works perfectly. For the electrical connector I just put two spade connectors on the 4 seasons unit and plugged them into the factory harness. Just pay attention to the polarity, if you put them spades in the wrong way the motor will spin backwards which reduces air flow by a lot.
Four Seasons motor pretty quiet (comparatively)?

Bumping this thread. I cleaned my blower, but it still had a tick at low speed that I felt like fixing, so I splurged and bought a new oem 87103-26020 blower assembly from McGeorge Toyota. I went to install it last night, but the oem connector is different?

The original one has two prongs in parallel, the new one has one a 90 degrees. Anyone run into a similar problem?

For what it's worth the fan is also slightly shorter than original.

20230518_053953.jpg

20230518_054012.jpg

Thanks to some advice from a friend - solved it. Removed the spade connectors from the factory connector and just plugged them in. That way no cutting was required and I still have the factory connector if ever needed.

20230518_212408.jpg

@MTrun : Glad yout got it to work, but now you're the Beta tester so-to-speak as that specific blower motor was designed for vehicles without AC (for models sold in cold climates like ? Siberia or maybe low end basic models with few options and no AC?).

As you noticed the motor is smaller (which means it generates less torque) and the squirrel cage fan is shorter/smaller also (less air flow). Comparing the HVAC diagrams the entire HVAC box for the non-AC models IIRC also appeared to have a different design.

Without AC the blower motor doesn't have to force air through an evaporator core, so that may be why it's smaller, or maybe there're less vents in the non-AC model??

FWIW a few years ago I looked at possibly adding the correct size squirrel cage fan to this smaller motor but the armature shaft is also shorter so that won't work with the correct taller fan.

Either way, it would be interesting to know how well the smaller blower motor works in an 80 series with AC (do the blower speeds seem/sound the same, air flow coming out of the vents less, etc)??

Last edited:
Kernal, this is great insight and explains a lot. No issues with moving air with the new blower. I won't toss my old blower just in case.

My A/C is another question as it is currently down, slow leak in the system somewhere. If anyone has a good link to the best approach to start tackling that project - welcome the advice!

I imagine the ticking is one of the motor bearings going bad. If you can pull the bearings out of the motor I imagine you could measure them and buy replacements. Good time to clean the armature and replace the brushes. The tall squirell cage is designed so that extra air flow is allowed when you hit the recirc function. A 3rd gen 4runner blower assembly will bolt right in but have less airflow because fan is shorter. I want to try a 200 series blower. I believe they will bolt in-at least ot looks like it to me but not for sure.

Thanks to some advice from a friend - solved it. Removed the spade connectors from the factory connector and just plugged them in. That way no cutting was required and I still have the factory connector if ever needed.

View attachment 3326478

Yep. I cleaned out all the debris in my blower a few years back hoping it would quiet the whisking sound. Didn't help and now the 1st speed of blower is almost non-existent. 25 yrs old so it's to be expected.

Ended up getting Four Seasons 35356 motor (per op) and the OE blower 8710520110. Would have preferred OE on all of it but so it goes...
Does your rig have AC? I'm looking to replace the blower wheel and ran across 8710520110 as available. Just want to make sure this will work w/ac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom