1981 Pickup 4 X 4 New Owner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mini truck mud members. I just purchased a 1981 Hilux 4 X 4 and I am going to be asking the group for help and advice as I dig into it. I have been eyeing this since I first saw it in 2020 and finally made a deal to bring it home. It is a Western Slope CO truck and May have even lived its life in the San Juans. it is a Deluxe model with a 22R engine and 5 speed. I have read that the early 5 speeds are not good, so will be looking for some experienced opinions on that. And if I should swap to something else. The truck is pretty darn free of any really bad rust. There are a few spots in the bed seams and sill area, but the rest of it and the frame appear to be really clean and Free from the bad stuff. Of course the components underneath and the frame have surface corrosion, but it is nothing bad except for causing me a lot of hours cleaning and painting.

I need to dig in and deep clean to see what I have gotten myself into. She looks very straight and stock with great gaps and looks to be all there. Not clapped out and modified at all. The goal is to keep it stock and make it as presentable as I can with superb mechanicals. Couple of things I could use some direction on are windshield and marker light seals. Does the dealer still carry that stuff. I know they do for some FJ60 parts. If not, where is the best outlet for mini truck stock parts? Also, the dash is bad and I understand that there is a blue on still available. Is my dash blue or some other color. I think they only had three interior colors back then?

Anyway, here are some pics to get the discussion going. Really looking forward to getting the truck home and getting started with the rescue.

8C134046-F688-4984-9278-4DA02347578A.jpeg

DEBA39DB-0F3F-48C5-827C-B80BD0C13047.jpeg

610B46B6-0A74-40EE-A3EA-74D2E1670B73.jpeg

6E02DE23-BCB8-4B31-A07D-D468AC91B770.jpeg

19A6B1C9-D31A-42B3-9FB3-90ED42F47597.jpeg

Nice truck! If you decide to get rid of those hideous floormats I've got first dibs! Haha. You can still get NOS dash pads from Toyota in either blue or tan. Those wheels are... interesting. Looks to be fairly original other than those electro whatchamacallits under the vent. Not sure about the marker light seals, I think the FJ60 and 79-83 pickups use the same markers. Don't quote me on that. Fairly nice aftermarket ones are available on Ebay.

Thanks! The mats get cleaned and stay! Love them. Yeah the wheels are intersecting. Anybody know anything about them? Also the seat upholstery looks to be factory stitched. Could that be stock Toyota material. Truck indicates 40k miles, might be original…?

D7140AB6-EEFF-41B1-9D08-2C715A512670.jpeg

419896D7-0E50-4250-9B86-7804EC87F7E7.jpeg

C06650C7-A37D-4EC2-9C76-E652187EF007.jpeg

0CA6EC84-B24E-4660-B2D5-E64244C866E0.jpeg

Thanks for that @onemanarmy. I was hoping those wheels were original Toyota
equipment. And good to hear you say the transmission is plenty strong. Was a bit worried about that. What do you think about the upholstery? Also factory material? Is the dash what Toyota considers blue? Looks more grey or grey blue to me. I’d like to order one but don’t want to get something that screams BLUE.

My goal initially is to clean it up and get it driving to see what I have. it sits a lot and the seller said it runs rough when it warms up. I am thinking it’s a vacuum line or something with the smog system. Plan is to desmog ultimately and not modify a thing. It even has all the rubber skirts intact between the body and frame. Underside is crusty, but nothing a wire wheel and some rust converter or paint can’t take care of. Last pic is the worst of the rust I think. Didn’t seem to perforate anything, but 🤷‍♂️ we shall see.

35DB7691-521A-4A7C-B717-335C54AA6377.jpeg

6D277505-D3A7-4B03-91D9-DDC8029998BD.jpeg

7FF78DB3-5DC4-4348-B762-BD6D325A41E2.jpeg

62334C7D-6A04-4902-8BDE-C568A356BA76.jpeg

Don't trust that spare tire. It's OE, H78/15. Diff gearing should be 3.90s if it's an early '81 production.

Talk about a trip back on memory lane.

I owned that exact truck back in the day, only diesel. US spec. I kick myself in the butt on a daily basis for ever getting rid of it.

Be sure to check the frame just behind the cab for rust. Those had a habit of rusting through there.

1690927561275.png

I still have my shop manual from back in the day.

Update: Truck is here and is better than expected. Runs great but probably needs the timing changed and different temp plugs. I pulled off the seat covers and the original vinyl is in fantastic shape. However the driver's seat has a rip as you would expect. Truck was owned by one family for 30 years in Ocala FL and the paper work with them goes back from 2011 to the dealer stuff and the original window sticker. Super stoked about that. Cab floors are perfect and a lot of the truck is in fantastic condition. I could not be more pleased with my lightly investigated purchase. Super lucky...

The one thing that needs attention right away is the windshield seal. I have looked a bit and I don't see them available. Please do not tell me that someone is not supplying them... That is the one thing I need first. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks. Land Cruiser suppliers maybe?

I'll post some pics later.

Update: Truck is here and is better than expected. Runs great but probably needs the timing changed and different temp plugs. I pulled off the seat covers and the original vinyl is in fantastic shape. However the driver's seat has a rip as you would expect. Truck was owned by one family for 30 years in Ocala FL and the paper work with them goes back from 2011 to the dealer stuff and the original window sticker. Super stoked about that. Cab floors are perfect and a lot of the truck is in fantastic condition. I could not be more pleased with my lightly investigated purchase. Super lucky...

The one thing that needs attention right away is the windshield seal. I have looked a bit and I don't see them available. Please do not tell me that someone is not supplying them... That is the one thing I need first. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks. Land Cruiser suppliers maybe?

I'll post some pics later.
An actual high quality windshield guy should be able to get you something that works, if not the original thing.

I replaced my 1975 FJ55 windshield for like $200 from a rural guy near my house back in 2017.

When you get the floor mats lifted, check out the cab mounts in the front of the floor. Seems that is a spot that gets rusty, especially if there is a windshield leak.

Project I'm working on:

@WoodsTruck I'll check that area out. So far, everything looks really good. Fingers crossed that the front floors look good. I have not seen any perforation there looking underneath.

@120mm what part number did you use for your search? Partsouq shows 5612189114 and it is not available. Edit - I just googled a general description and got lots of hits.

So I drove the truck for a few days and it actually runs great. Filled with premium gas and ran much better. To my great surprise, it smoked a lot but went away after driving it. Then it came back a couple days later. I was very concerned that it was oil or coolant smoke, but turns out we think it is condensation from the catalytic converter. Anyone else have that issue? I pulled back the floor mat to see the cab attach points and the driver side is really good. The passenger side does have some surface rust there, but nothing really bad. Unfortunately, I did find a small hole in the floor adjacent to the inner rocker about the size of half an index finger. Not terrible as it did not compromise the rocker. And speaking of that, I looked inside the rockers and they are super clean.

The first thing it looks like I need to do is to rebuild the steering knuckles. Both are leaking pretty bad. Should I go with Dan the Cruiser man Toyota dealer or Cruiser Outfitters? Also looks like I will need new front springs, any suggestions on a good supplier? Ran across Gen Spring. Anybody use them? I’ll post a few pics shortly.

Some photos showing the goopy steering knuckles and sagging front springs. Also included one that shows the good arch on the rear springs.

Was pleased to find good seat material and I removed the electronic thingy. Was a 40 watt stereo booster from Kmart! The truck has working sort of AC and the wheels are actually on the window sticker as a swap out at purchase.

20B51503-5993-4CBF-B3A7-31B157437B33.jpeg

56A12F80-DDFD-4947-94CB-A776C6C7B944.jpeg

FC0F4912-A7B0-42BA-B114-8B9EFCC3B62C.jpeg

B0BB8288-D829-4604-9FE7-26766FB97F14.jpeg

C5F1A15E-CB84-4C6C-86E2-149650D382BB.jpeg

...The first thing it looks like I need to do is to rebuild the steering knuckles. Both are leaking pretty bad. Should I go with Dan the Cruiser man Toyota dealer or Cruiser Outfitters? Also looks like I will need new front springs, any suggestions on a good supplier? Ran across Gen Spring. Anybody use them? I’ll post a few pics shortly.

We would love to help! We've got fantastic kits with Japanese parts and step-by-step instructions!

Your 'smoke' at start up is most likely bad valve seals. Simple but funless fix.

Also looks like I will need new front springs, any suggestions on a good supplier?
That Cruiser Outfitter fella will be a good choice for a nice OME spring kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom