1978 2F FJ40 Igniter/Distrib Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jason brewer

Jasonbrew
Threads
Help If you can,
I have read almost every post and tech guide on the forum... from coolerman to others tech write ups. I haven't seen anyway to test the igniter with a multimeter or such.

Here is the deal, putting my project back together and for a week now I am pulling my hair out. I bought this totally disassembled. I have 3 distributors, 2 igniters (one looks bad, the other new), and 2 coils. The PO had an MSD blaster 2 coil with a mallory distributor and tallest resister. I have no idea if he used the igniter or not.

Testing the coil with he multimeter per FSM specs out perfect. I have 3 good coils. Distributor set to TDC per FSM. Check. I have interchanged both the OEM 78 and the mallory trying to get anything to work. With & without the tallest resistor. With & without the igniter.

NO FIRE no matter what with either distributor. OEM or Mallery. *I can get the mallory to spark without the igniter. it is a Magnetic Brakeless Distributor.

When I check the volts with key on at the + of the coil I get between 5-6v with hooked to the igniter. Is this normal? The - is around 1v. Its seems like when I hook either igniter up there is a major voltage drop on the coil... I'm stuck. any help would be awesome.

IMG_7305.JPG
IMG_7320.JPG

You should be getting 9.6ish volts on coil with key on. Do you have a ballast resistor? Check to see if your coils are internally resisted, having 2 resistors may will lower the voltage to much.

Tach is green wire?

I haven't seen anyway to test the igniter with a multimeter or such.

From the 2F Engine factory service manual (1983 edition, but they say the specs are good back to 1974), here is the page that shows two tests for the igniter (see attached PDF).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom