100 to sit for 4 months (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So there's a chance I could be out of the country for 4 months. Is it alright to let my 100 sit that long without a start or drive? Will I have any other potential issues?

My friend has a 19 year old son who might mow my lawn while I'm gone. I could have him start it now and then, and perhaps drive it around the block. However giving the keys of my LC to a 19 yr old scares me a bit, actually a lot!

Personally, in a dry climate such as NM I wouldn't worry too much. I think just starting it up without a good drive is more harmful than just letting it sit. 4 months isn't that long. I'd probably pull the batt and keep it on a tender and make sure it had clean fluids, a full tank, and was stored indoors.

You may want to pull the fuel pump fuse when you come back to let the oil pressure rise before it starts.

Since it's only 4-months, I would do just the opposite. I would drop some Sta-bil in the tank and top it off. Less/zero chance of condensation that way. Since it's only 4-months, it will be fine w/ fuel in the tank.

So there's a chance I could be out of the country for 4 months. Is it alright to let my 100 sit that long without a start or drive? Will I have any other potential issues?

My friend has a 19 year old son who might mow my lawn while I'm gone. I could have him start it now and then, and perhaps drive it around the block. However giving the keys of my LC to a 19 yr old scares me a bit, actually a lot!

Don't need to do a thing. Park it when you leave, start it when you return.

Mark...

My white one has been sitting since December...I hope.

Pat, bring it up to Denver, I'll take care of it for ya :D

Pat, bring it up to Denver, I'll take care of it for ya :D
You heard what he said about 19 year olds. Just imagine what he would say of a 17 year old:D

Your tires may have some minor flat spots when you return but they'll be gone after several miles of driving. It will be fine.

If your garage floor has epoxy or some sort of paint on it, you'll want to put something underneath so the tires dont practically bond to it and peel it up when you roll out 4mo later.

Loud, leaving the rig with you is not a half bad idea, it would come back a trail ready, trail proven rig.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like topping the gas off, perhaps disconnecting the battery and putting it in my garage are the only things I really need to do. Just concrete in the garage.

I need to make it look like someone is still there so I'll put my wife's Highlander in the driveway to bake in the New Mexico summer sun.

If your garage floor has epoxy or some sort of paint on it, you'll want to put something underneath so the tires dont practically bond to it and peel it up when you roll out 4mo later.

I was 16 when I got my 100. What's wrong with a 19 yr old? 5 years later I still haven't flipped it or rammed into a poor old lady lol

Mine sat in my garage for 6 months while I was in Iraq. Here is all I did:

1. Over inflate the tires. I usually run 40psi and I aired them up to 50psi before I left. When I got back they were down to 35psi and there were flat spots, but the went away pretty quick.

2. Fill the tank and add STA-BIL. I have an aux tank and I filled both up and added STA-BIL.

3. Pulled the battery.

When I got back I slapped the battery in and it fired right up. I was pretty surprised it started so quick.

Don't need to do a thing. Park it when you leave, start it when you return.

Mark...

100% agree.

The MOST I would do is put a trickle charger on the battery.

I have a bunch of motors on my farm that get cranked once a year at most and I have never had a problem with gas going bad.

My LC is parked in a warehouse in Denver...which requires <1/4 tank and battery disconnected. I added a bit of StaBil prior to parking and it went from August 10 to last January and it started and ran just fine. I ran it around Denver for a week and then re-stored it.

It will be there until July at least and probably off and on like that through 2012, but I dont foresee any issues.

I think about her often....sitting lonely in that quiet warehouse, yearning to go play in the mountains....
:frown:

weird that the warehouse requires 1/4 tank. it's the vapors that are dangerous, consequently a full tank is the safest. I know this is what they require for cars a the auto show. the warehouse probably has an insurance policy that minimizes stored flammables and they're just passing on that requirement to you rather than understanding what they're saying.

Less fuel means less fuel for the fire. Easier to put the fire out. Same requirements when I sent my truck to Hawaii, 1/8th of a tank or they wouldn't take it

Letting LC Sit for 3 Months

Just saw this thread and I too will be letting my '99 LC sit for 3 months. Quick question on the Sta-Bil, which one of the following do I get?

The Sta-Bil fuel stablizer (the top one on the page) or the Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment (the bottom one on the page): http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/products.aspx#SET

Oregon mentioned pulling the fuel pump fuse prior to restarting the car after storage. Is this a critical step? Will it cause damage to the LC if this is not done prior to restarting?

I was originally planning on leaving the battery connected and just jump-start the LC after the storage. But after reading this thread, many recommend pulling the battery. What are the difference on the effect on the LC?

Sorry about all the newbie questions.

Thanks!

CalSkiBum

Fuel stabilizer - Ethanol treatment is primarily for boats where the ethanol in the fuel is likely to be able to suck up a huge amount of water in a short time.

I would unhook the battery. I bet the truck starts right up when you get back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom