Thought you guys might get a kick out of this - Cummins swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before this gets kicked to chat, I posted it here as many of the parts on it are cruiser, and it's got a custom Cummins engine swap. Plus, I think it's kinda cool.

It's my other rig. 1980 Land-Rover 109 XMOD chassis, 1 ton and leaf sprung, rear body from a 1985 110, dash is hot dip galvanized from a 1966 truck. 1993 Cummins 5.9BT, 4 speed auto, LT230 transfer case (3.32 low range) from a 99 Discovery, FZJ80 e-locked rear axle, BJ60 front with Sky Mfg. hub flip, and an e-locker coming. Hydrioboost, Scout II steering box. Blah blah.

Still debating on who is going to be supplying the high steer, but I'm thinking Marlin or Luke Porter. 325/85R16 michelins. Toyota driveshafts.

http://www.maritimerovers.org/discus/messages/2/9264.jpg

http://www.maritimerovers.org/discus/messages/2/9265.jpg

A rover in it's natural state :)

It's till very much being built, as you can see by the absence of a front hub and the lack of paint, but it's really starting to come together and I'm pretty stoked about taking it snow wheeling. It's definitely built for the terrain around here, I don't think the axles would hold up to high traction surfaces like Moab or real rock crawling with a cranked cummins 6 cyl, but in the greasy wet rocks and muck around here it's right at home. Plus, being able to swap parts from my BJ60 to the Rover is awesome.

Thought you guys might dig it. Sorry I can't remote link the pics. I suck at intarweb.

That is very cool. I have often fantasized about taking a discovery and plopping in an hz or hd and 60 series drive train. NIce work.

Karl

knorrena said:
That is very cool. I have often fantasized about taking a discovery and plopping in an hz or hd and 60 series drive train. NIce work.

Karl

Its not unusual in England. They will put any diesel into their local product to get rid of the fuel hungry 3.5 Rover V8 .

There used to be a LR in my area with a full engine and drivetrain combo from a 2.2 diesel hilux

Looks awsome! Can't wait to hear that thing run.

And thanks again for wiring my elocker.

Cool! :cheers:

I have often though it would be cool to put a turbo BJ60 drivetrain into a 4door series or D110. Should go great and get better millage from the rover be lighter.

Cheers,
Nick

6bt in a 60 series

Lets see some more pics....what's under the hood look like? The labs is currently doing a 6bt swap into a 60 series. Check these pics.:grinpimp:
6bt60 002.jpg
6bt60 003.jpg
6bt60 004.jpg

LTR-230 Tcase comming from a 99 Disco .. 3.32 low range .. taking notes !

This t-case it's totaly manual ?

Rear it's centered and front output to the pass side .?

Did you have a pic of this t-case .?

Nice rig dude .. pretty nice !

Update: Truck is pretty much done. NOTHING is the same as it was in those pics, the only panels I ended up reusing were the rear body sections. The truck is now a pickup, the full roof is gone for now. I painted it white. I do not have any good photos to post yet. I am going wheeling this weekend and will report back with a list of broken parts. So far it is a success, it seems to work great. I replaced the injection pump with a built one that's cranked, I figure I am pushing 250 hp and 600+ ft lbs. The auto trans is hurting.

Tapage: LT230 - totally mechanical, all aluminum, both outputs offset like a Land-Cruiser - VERY BEEFY! Very strong unit. Stronger in my opinion than a split case. Lower low range, too! Used on defenders, some Range Rovers (pre 1987) and Discovery. The ones to get are the disco/range rover ones as they have a 1.22 high range, the others have 1.4 and 1.6. With those ratios, it makes the low low range not as low (make sense??)

HKS - Those are steelies I got from the Canadian equivalent of Pep Boys. They are for a Tacoma 16X7, 6 on 5.5. 50$ each and they look right (IMO).

Lshobie - No prob dude. E lockers are the coolest.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Tapage: LT230 - totally mechanical, all aluminum, both outputs offset like a Land-Cruiser - VERY BEEFY! Very strong unit. Stronger in my opinion than a split case. Lower low range, too! Used on defenders, some Range Rovers (pre 1987) and Discovery. The ones to get are the disco/range rover ones as they have a 1.22 high range, the others have 1.4 and 1.6. With those ratios, it makes the low low range not as low (make sense??)

Nice .. nice nice ..

When you have time you can post pics of this T-case .?

And .. how you get it match to the tranny . ?

JL sent me this back channel before he posts.. Not sure if it helps anyone:

Re: Your services requested JL!
Hey Dre,

You can post up on my account, I am going wheeling this weekend and I have no time to register on another forum, maybe next week... The truck is done, I am just finishing up small stuff and I will be putting some info up on the web, I get a lot of questions and I want to address them all online at some point....

My truck - 1980 XMOD 1 ton 109 chassis, sprung over on Toyota FJ60 front axle, FZJ80 rear axle. E-lockers. 4.10 ratio. LT230 T case. Custom adapter to Dodge automatic from 1993 W250. 1993. 5.9BT with Dodge-specific intercooler. VE rotary pump.

The 6BT swap is not possible in a rover unless you run a large amount of lift. The oil pan to front diff clearance is the biggest hurdle. The engine actually fits in very nice, the bulkhead needs to be modified for the HUGE bellhousing and clutch assembly (using a series bulkhead) it JUST fits, 1/2" on either side of the maximum width of the panel where transmission opening is. I have the engine sitting to the rear most valve cover is about 1/2" from the bulkhead.

The engine does not weigh as much as people think. The 4 cylinder rover engine must be 5-600 lbs, I just relocated the batteries to the back and am running a light winch, a 4 cyl truck with a Koenig would be at the same weight. It is very manageable. Defender front end required for radiator and intercooler clearance.

The end result is a monster, it is soo worth it. I will never run another powerplant again, I have a 5.9BT lined up for an FJ60 swap next.

I will try and chime in with some more info later on.

JL sent me this back channel before he posts.. Not sure if it helps anyone:

Hey Andre - I meant that for the 4btswaps.com page as I am not a member there. You can leave it up here if you think it is useful.

Nice .. nice nice ..

When you have time you can post pics of this T-case .?

And .. how you get it match to the tranny . ?

I think is the L230 case. Also known as a poor man's Atlas. It has a center diff and a huge parking brake. That combo allows you to spin the front wheels only for tight spots. They come with various ratios, mostly around 3:1 high and 1.2-1.4 :1 low range. Use this with 3.7 gears and 35" tire and you've got a very dependable setup. I've toyed with the idea of mating one to and H55 for years but just have never gotten around to it. They are very easy to join to a Turbo 350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom